PDA

View Full Version : Folding Anyone?

Carl
November 16th 05, 04:00 PM
I have become old enough that an Adult Tricycle looks attractive. I used to
ride a 2-wheeler with derailleur shifting, but now have an equilibrium
problem.

Am considering a Worksman Folding Port-A-Trike, 3-speed. After folding, will
fit in the back of my car, which is an advantage to me.

This is a request for comments about the Worksman Port-A-Trike in
particular, folding trikes in general, and adult trikes in general. I have
never ridden or even seen one.

Comments and advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Carl

George Cherry
November 16th 05, 05:35 PM
"Carl" > wrote in message
>I have become old enough that an Adult Tricycle looks attractive. I used to
>ride a 2-wheeler with derailleur shifting, but now have an equilibrium
>problem.
>
> Am considering a Worksman Folding Port-A-Trike, 3-speed. After folding,
> will fit in the back of my car, which is an advantage to me.
>
> This is a request for comments about the Worksman Port-A-Trike in
> particular, folding trikes in general, and adult trikes in general. I have
> never ridden or even seen one.
>
> Comments and advice appreciated.

I can relate well with your question. I hope
that you get some definitive answers. (I
just bought a Prius and I have a wife and
two medium size dogs. I'd hate to ditch
Patti: she picks up the dog poops!) : o )

Oops, I just took a peek at the Worksman
Folding Port-A-Trike, and I see I've confused
trike and recumbent bicycle. (C'mon, Geo,
"bi" and "tri" aren't that hard!) I want my feet
at about the level of my heart. Trikes don't
do that.

George

Tim McNamara
November 16th 05, 09:55 PM
In article >,
"George Cherry" > wrote:

> "Carl" > wrote in message
> >I have become old enough that an Adult Tricycle looks attractive. I
> >used to ride a 2-wheeler with derailleur shifting, but now have an
> >equilibrium problem.
> >
> > Am considering a Worksman Folding Port-A-Trike, 3-speed. After
> > folding, will fit in the back of my car, which is an advantage to
> > me.
> >
> > This is a request for comments about the Worksman Port-A-Trike in
> > particular, folding trikes in general, and adult trikes in general.
> > I have never ridden or even seen one.
> >
> > Comments and advice appreciated.
>
> I can relate well with your question. I hope that you get some
> definitive answers. (I just bought a Prius and I have a wife and two
> medium size dogs. I'd hate to ditch Patti: she picks up the dog
> poops!) : o )
>
> Oops, I just took a peek at the Worksman Folding Port-A-Trike, and I
> see I've confused trike and recumbent bicycle. (C'mon, Geo, "bi" and
> "tri" aren't that hard!) I want my feet at about the level of my
> heart. Trikes don't do that.

Recumbent trikes do, and there are a number of options from relatively
reasonable to uber-pricey. They put the two wheels up front and one
wheel in the back (also known as "tadpole trike").

http://home.mindspring.com/~kb7mxu/

http://www.catrike.com/

http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/

http://www.greenspeed.com.au/

Among others, of course. There are recumbent trike makers all over the
world now.

wafflycat
November 18th 05, 10:58 AM
"Rich" > wrote in message
> Tim McNamara wrote:
>
>> Recumbent trikes do, and there are a number of options from relatively
>> reasonable to uber-pricey. They put the two wheels up front and one
>> wheel in the back (also known as "tadpole trike").
>>
>> http://home.mindspring.com/~kb7mxu/
>>
>> http://www.catrike.com/
>>
>> http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/
>>
>> http://www.greenspeed.com.au/
>
> I'd add http://www.wizwheelz.com/ to that list.

Don't forget

http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/

Cheers, helen s

Lester L.
November 19th 05, 05:48 AM
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:35:40 -0500, "George Cherry"

|"Carl" > wrote in message
|>I have become old enough that an Adult Tricycle looks attractive. I used to
|>ride a 2-wheeler with derailleur shifting, but now have an equilibrium
|>problem.
|>
|> Am considering a Worksman Folding Port-A-Trike, 3-speed. After folding,
|> will fit in the back of my car, which is an advantage to me.
|>
|> This is a request for comments about the Worksman Port-A-Trike in
|> particular, folding trikes in general, and adult trikes in general. I have
|> never ridden or even seen one.
|>
|> Comments and advice appreciated.
|
|I can relate well with your question. I hope
|that you get some definitive answers. (I
|just bought a Prius and I have a wife and
|two medium size dogs. I'd hate to ditch
|Patti: she picks up the dog poops!) : o )
|
|Oops, I just took a peek at the Worksman
|Folding Port-A-Trike, and I see I've confused
|trike and recumbent bicycle. (C'mon, Geo,
|"bi" and "tri" aren't that hard!) I want my feet
|at about the level of my heart. Trikes don't
|do that.
|
|George

Leo Lichtman
November 19th 05, 06:08 AM
"George Cherry" wrote: (clip) I want my feet at about the level of my
heart. Trikes don't do that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
George, do you have a theory for why the heart should be at the same
elevation as the feet? Would you share?

Tom Kunich
November 19th 05, 06:42 AM
"Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message

> "George Cherry" wrote: (clip) I want my feet at about the level of my
> heart. Trikes don't do that.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> George, do you have a theory for why the heart should be at the same
> elevation as the feet? Would you share?

Well, it's obvious isn't it? When you're in the womb your feet at level with
your heart. Why everything has to relate to that doesn't it?

Michael Baugh
November 19th 05, 04:31 PM
Might want to get the recent Consumer's Report, they
discussed EPA mileage ratings. Said some rather terrible
things about actual MPG's of the hybrids.

Lester L. wrote:

> > I can relate well with your question. I hope
> > that you get some definitive answers. (I
> > just bought a Prius and I have a wife and
> > two medium size dogs. I'd hate to ditch
> > Patti: she picks up the dog poops!) : o )
> >
> > Oops, I just took a peek at the Worksman
> > Folding Port-A-Trike, and I see I've confused
> > trike and recumbent bicycle. (C'mon, Geo,
> > "bi" and "tri" aren't that hard!) I want my feet
> > at about the level of my heart. Trikes don't
> > do that.
> >
> > George

George Cherry
November 26th 05, 05:40 PM
"Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message

> "George Cherry" wrote: (clip) I want my feet at about the level of my
> heart. Trikes don't do that.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> George, do you have a theory for why the heart should be at the same
> elevation as the feet? Would you share?

The veins in my legs and feet are--ouch!-- "incompetent".
That's the medical diagnosis. The medical prescription
is to elevate my legs (ideally to the level of my heart).
When I must stand or sit, I must wear high-compression
support stockings. Walking's better than standing--
because the muscle action helps pump the bood from
my lower extremities back to my heart. A recumbent
bike appeared an ideal way for me to stay active and
mobile.

George

George Cherry
November 26th 05, 05:44 PM
"Tom Kunich" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message
>>
>> "George Cherry" wrote: (clip) I want my feet at about the level of my
>> heart. Trikes don't do that.
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> George, do you have a theory for why the heart should be at the same
>> elevation as the feet? Would you share?
>
> Well, it's obvious isn't it? When you're in the womb your feet at level
> with your heart. Why everything has to relate to that doesn't it?

You don't have to go back to being an embryo to
realize that elevating your legs is beneficial. You
sleep in that position every night so that sleep can
knit up your raveled "socks of care".

George

wvantwiller
November 26th 05, 07:03 PM
"George Cherry" > wrote in
:

> "Tom Kunich" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> "Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "George Cherry" wrote: (clip) I want my feet at about the level of my
>>> heart. Trikes don't do that.
>>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> George, do you have a theory for why the heart should be at the same
>>> elevation as the feet? Would you share?
>>
>> Well, it's obvious isn't it? When you're in the womb your feet at level
>> with your heart. Why everything has to relate to that doesn't it?
>
> You don't have to go back to being an embryo to
> realize that elevating your legs is beneficial. You
> sleep in that position every night so that sleep can
> knit up your raveled "socks of care".
>
> George

For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the category of
"Are You Suggesting Coconuts Migrate", doesn't it??

Tony Raven
November 26th 05, 07:14 PM
wvantwiller wrote:

> For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the category of
> "Are You Suggesting Coconuts Migrate", doesn't it??

"They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic
November 26th 05, 11:04 PM
Tony Raven wrote:
> wvantwiller wrote:
> >
> > For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the category of
> > "Are You Suggesting Coconuts Migrate", doesn't it??
> >

> "They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)

"It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut."

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
"Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk." - G. Daniels

Tony Raven
November 26th 05, 11:55 PM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> wvantwiller wrote:
>>> For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the category of
>>> "Are You Suggesting Coconuts Migrate", doesn't it??
>>>
>> "They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)
>
> "It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
> weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut."

It could be carried by an African swallow

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

DD
November 27th 05, 02:39 AM
Tony Raven wrote:
> Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
>
>> Tony Raven wrote:

>>> "They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)
>>

>> "It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
>> weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut."
>>

> It could be carried by an African swallow

I won't swallow that one. I blame the Coriolis Effect for everything.

Carl
November 27th 05, 03:43 AM
"DD" > wrote in message
> Tony Raven wrote:
> Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
>
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
> wvantwiller wrote:
For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the category of
>>> "Are You Suggesting Coconuts Migrate", doesn't it??
>>> "They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)

"It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
>> weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut."
>> It could be carried by an African swallow
>
>Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> wvantwiller wrote:
>>> For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the category of
>>> "Are You Suggesting Coconuts Migrate", doesn't it??
>>>
>> "They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)
>
> "It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
> weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut."
It could be carried by an African swallow
Tony
right."
- Lord Hailsham I won't swallow that one. I blame the Coriolis Effect for
everything.

SHEESH!
wHAT happENED To my thREAd?
I inquired about Worksman Folding Trikes!!!
Carl

Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic
November 27th 05, 04:26 AM
Tony Raven wrote:
> Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
> > Tony Raven wrote:
> >>>
> >> "They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)
> >
> > "It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
> > weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut."
> >

> It could be carried by an African swallow

"But then of course a-- African swallows are non-migratory."

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic
November 27th 05, 04:33 AM
Carl wrote:

> SHEESH!
> wHAT happENED To my thREAd?

"And Now for Something Completely Different"

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
"john dear owns a tuscany reserve next door to the bay shore folks" -

Tony Raven
November 27th 05, 09:50 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:

> "But then of course a-- African swallows are non-migratory."

It could be on a recumbent tour (to bring it neatly back on topic) ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

RonSonic
November 27th 05, 02:05 PM
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:43:52 -0700, "Carl" > wrote:

>Tony Raven wrote:
>> wvantwiller wrote:
>> > For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the category of
>> > "Are You Suggesting Coconuts Migrate", doesn't it??
>> "They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)
>"It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
>weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut."
>Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
>"Twisting may help if yawl can chew gum and walk." - G. Daniels
>"DD" > wrote in message
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>> Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
>>
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>>
>> wvantwiller wrote:
> For the uninitiated, that sort of reasoning comes under the category of
>>
> "It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
>>> weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut."
>>> It could be carried by an African swallow
>>
>>Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>>>>
>>> "They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)
>>
>> "It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
>> weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut."
>It could be carried by an African swallow
>Tony
>"The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
>right."
>- Lord Hailsham I won't swallow that one. I blame the Coriolis Effect for
>everything.
>
>SHEESH!
>wHAT happENED To my thREAd?
>I inquired about Worksman Folding Trikes!!!

Dumbass -

You got off easy. Just think if you'd posted in RBR. You'd be getting blood
tests by now.

Ron

DD
November 27th 05, 09:55 PM
Carl wrote:

> SHEESH!
> wHAT happENED To my thREAd?
> I inquired about Worksman Folding Trikes!!!
> Carl

In that case... have you also considered anything like the Di Blasi
folding trike (http://www.diblasi.it/ )?

The Python Police
November 28th 05, 11:22 AM
Tony Raven > wrote:

> Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
>> Tony Raven wrote:
>>>>
>>> "They could have been carried by a swallow" ;-)
>>
>> "It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
>> weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound
>> coconut."
>

> It could be carried by an African swallow

Get yer trousers on sunshine, you're nicked!

--
The Python Police
Scotland Yard

Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic
November 28th 05, 12:45 PM
The Python Police wrote:
> Tony Raven > wrote:
>
> > Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:

> >> "It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of
> >> weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound
> >> coconut."
> >

> > It could be carried by an African swallow
>
> Get yer trousers on sunshine, you're nicked!

I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Peter Clinch
November 28th 05, 01:14 PM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
> The Python Police wrote:
>>Tony Raven > wrote:

>>>It could be carried by an African swallow
>>
>>Get yer trousers on sunshine, you're nicked!
>
> I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!

The only reason this thread is still on its perch is because it's been
nailed to it!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Mike Kruger
November 29th 05, 04:10 AM
"Peter Clinch" > wrote in message
> Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic wrote:
>> The Python Police wrote:

>>>Get yer trousers on sunshine, you're nicked!
>>
>> I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!

Quick! Name their weapons!

> The only reason this thread is still on its perch is because it's been
> nailed to it!

This thread is pining for the fjords.
(straining to get back on topic)
Which is a reminder that trikes are good on ice in the winter.

The Python Police
November 29th 05, 07:28 PM
In the van, sunshine, you're nicked.

The Python Police

Tony Raven
November 29th 05, 08:03 PM
The Python Police wrote:
> In the van, sunshine, you're nicked.
>
> The Python Police

I didn't join the police force just to wear the helmets you know. That
just happens to be one of the little perks. There are plenty of jobs
where I could have worn a helmet, but not such a nice helmet. This
helmet, I think, beats even some of the more elaborate helmets worn by
the Tsar's private army, the so-called Axi red warriors......

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham