PDA

View Full Version : 29er Rim shipping.....OUCH!!!!!

jagur
November 21st 05, 06:07 AM
KH 29er rims are $35 bucks......thats a pretty nice price untill i find
out that its another 35 to ship it here to 97301!

it must be the size but come on....

--
jagur

"How much for the spokes" is the "wheres your other wheel" of RSU
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

jagur
November 21st 05, 06:41 AM
yeah how strange.its also $35 bucks to ship the whole 29er compleat to
97301

thats the same shipping for 10+ more pounds?

--
jagur

"How much for the spokes" is the "wheres your other wheel" of RSU
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

peter.bier
November 21st 05, 08:25 AM
Ahhh, they joys of volumetric shipping. Many people don't realise there
are two different shipping "weights".

One is the actual weight and one is the "volumetric weight" which is
calculated from the dimensions of the box. The volumetric weight
formula can vary between postal companies but is usually of the form
volumetric weight = length x width x height x some number.

Postal companies charge their customers for whatever is the heaviest of
the two weights. Usually this is the actual weight unless something is
bulky but light. Rims and tyres are examples of products which often
end up being charged at volumetric weights. Cokers and some of the
other larger unicycles also can end up shipping at volumetric weights.

A few years back I went to order an airfoil rim and the postage quote
came back at over $1000 NZ! I gave up on that plan. Now when I have
something large I wait until there is a bunch of other stuff that will
fit in the same box. This doesn't change the shipping price unless the
actual weight is more than the volumetric. The more stuff I can get
stuffed in the box then the more items the shipping is spread over.

See if any of your friends want some stuff that will fit in with the
rim. Then they can help share the shipping costs.

--
peter.bier

-Peter Bier
peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

markf
November 21st 05, 10:30 AM
why not just talk to the LBS that could probably get you one for about
the same cost, and much less in shipping? probably anyway.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and unemployed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

peter.bier
November 21st 05, 11:03 AM
markf wrote:
> why not just talk to the LBS that could probably get you one for about
> the same cost, and much less in shipping? probably anyway.

That's worth trying, although it can be difficult to track down 29 inch
specific rims. Don't be suprised if your local bike shop starts at you
like you are nuts when you ask about 29 inch wheels. My experience is
that many bike shop staff do not even know that it is a rim size that
exists.

I know of several moutain bikers who have gone to Unicycle.com to get
29 inch rims because they can't find anything wide enough anywhere
else!

--
peter.bier

-Peter Bier
peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

jagur
November 23rd 05, 02:03 AM
update:

with a little number crunching, size querries and rapid mouse clicks,
im getting 2 kh 29" rims sent Express Mail (overnight) for just over 20
bucks.

cant say enough praize for that 1-800 number uni.com has.

--
jagur

"How much for the spokes" is the "wheres your other wheel" of RSU
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

forrestunifreak
November 23rd 05, 03:32 AM
Two???

You wouldn't be thinking in terms of TWO wheels now would you?

--
forrestunifreak

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

Probailer2
November 23rd 05, 02:44 PM
forrestunifreak wrote:
> Two???
>
> You wouldn't be thinking in terms of TWO wheels now would you?

I think he orded 2 for if the other breaks orso.Thats good thinking of
him.;)

--
Probailer2
Probailer2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11034

Skippii
November 23rd 05, 10:33 PM
jagur wrote:
> update:
>
> with a little number crunching, size querries and rapid mouse clicks,
> im getting 2 kh 29" rims sent Express Mail (overnight) for just over 20
> bucks.
>
> cant say enough praize for that 1-800 number uni.com has.

WOW....overnight?!? Great deal!

--
Skippii

One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home