PDA

View Full Version : gotta love Ebay

Scott
November 22nd 05, 12:27 AM
I was just looking at a Scott CR1 frameset offered up on Ebay, and the
seller said he got it as a 'gift', but had a great frame already so he
stripped the parts to use on the other frame and he was auctioning the
frameset. Said he needed to finance his student lifestyle.

On a hunch, I checked out his feedback and guess what I found. He
bought an identical frameset on Nov 4 from another guy who I'd
discovered earlier would buy items and resell 'em, claiming he was the
original owner and just needed the money.

Makes you wonder how many times some of the same items have changed
hands via Ebay, with each seller claiming to be the original owner.

And to think those guys don't realize that you can sometimes track
their actions and catch them in their BS. If you want to get away with
this nonsense, at least wait until the feedback from when you bought
the item isn't still an 'active' feedback that allows you to link to
the previous auction.

dig dug
November 22nd 05, 11:37 AM
I guess that crushes his credibility but if the item is still a good deal I
wouldnt care too much if a seller was "flipping" it.
He probably should have been straightforward and said he'd gotten it on ebay
but just wasnt right for him or he needed cash/etc.

"Scott" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was just looking at a Scott CR1 frameset offered up on Ebay, and the
> seller said he got it as a 'gift', but had a great frame already so he
> stripped the parts to use on the other frame and he was auctioning the
> frameset. Said he needed to finance his student lifestyle.
>
> On a hunch, I checked out his feedback and guess what I found. He
> bought an identical frameset on Nov 4 from another guy who I'd
> discovered earlier would buy items and resell 'em, claiming he was the
> original owner and just needed the money.
>
> Makes you wonder how many times some of the same items have changed
> hands via Ebay, with each seller claiming to be the original owner.
>
> And to think those guys don't realize that you can sometimes track
> their actions and catch them in their BS. If you want to get away with
> this nonsense, at least wait until the feedback from when you bought
> the item isn't still an 'active' feedback that allows you to link to
> the previous auction.

Scott
November 22nd 05, 12:19 PM
dig dug wrote:
> I guess that crushes his credibility but if the item is still a good deal I
> wouldnt care too much if a seller was "flipping" it.
> He probably should have been straightforward and said he'd gotten it on ebay
> but just wasnt right for him or he needed cash/etc.
>

> "Scott" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I was just looking at a Scott CR1 frameset offered up on Ebay, and the
> > seller said he got it as a 'gift', but had a great frame already so he
> > stripped the parts to use on the other frame and he was auctioning the
> > frameset. Said he needed to finance his student lifestyle.
> >
> > On a hunch, I checked out his feedback and guess what I found. He
> > bought an identical frameset on Nov 4 from another guy who I'd
> > discovered earlier would buy items and resell 'em, claiming he was the
> > original owner and just needed the money.
> >
> > Makes you wonder how many times some of the same items have changed
> > hands via Ebay, with each seller claiming to be the original owner.
> >
> > And to think those guys don't realize that you can sometimes track
> > their actions and catch them in their BS. If you want to get away with
> > this nonsense, at least wait until the feedback from when you bought
> > the item isn't still an 'active' feedback that allows you to link to
> > the previous auction.

FWIW, I tried to recall my message because I got in touch with the
'seller' and he rightly corrected me that he bought the frame w/ a gift
of money... the frame wasn't actually given to him in the
'traditional' sense. He's on the up&up. We actually had a very nice
e-conversation.

On another note, after having spent a little more time than I should
perusing ebay over the last few days, I've seen ooodles of examples of
folks buying/selling all sorts of stuff back and forth between
themselves.

Seems a bit odd to me.

David Kerber
November 22nd 05, 12:27 PM
In article om>,
says...

> On another note, after having spent a little more time than I should
> perusing ebay over the last few days, I've seen ooodles of examples of
> folks buying/selling all sorts of stuff back and forth between
> themselves.
>
> Seems a bit odd to me.

Might be people trying to run up their feedback scores...

--
I want to ride my bicycle,
I want to ride my bike.

Paul Cassel
November 22nd 05, 02:17 PM
Scott wrote:

> On another note, after having spent a little more time than I should
> perusing ebay over the last few days, I've seen ooodles of examples of
> folks buying/selling all sorts of stuff back and forth between
> themselves.
>
> Seems a bit odd to me.

People do like commmerce - the buying and selling. If they pay a little
in the in and out, then that's the cost of a hobby.

I am an Amazon seller. I buy a book, read it, then resell it for a small
loss. This recycles the book and my reading habit is less expensive than
it'd be if I bought and kept / donated.

I know several people who use eBay as a place to try a variety of things
with a small money committment.

-paul

Matt O'Toole
November 22nd 05, 05:50 PM
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 04:19:46 -0800, Scott wrote:

> On another note, after having spent a little more time than I should
> perusing ebay over the last few days, I've seen ooodles of examples of
> folks buying/selling all sorts of stuff back and forth between
> themselves.
>
> Seems a bit odd to me.

It's called commerce, and it's been happening since before the dawn of
civilization.

Matt O.

Alex Rodriguez
November 22nd 05, 05:53 PM
In article . com>,
says...
>I was just looking at a Scott CR1 frameset offered up on Ebay, and the
>seller said he got it as a 'gift', but had a great frame already so he
>stripped the parts to use on the other frame and he was auctioning the
>frameset. Said he needed to finance his student lifestyle.
>On a hunch, I checked out his feedback and guess what I found. He
>bought an identical frameset on Nov 4 from another guy who I'd
>discovered earlier would buy items and resell 'em, claiming he was the
>original owner and just needed the money.
>Makes you wonder how many times some of the same items have changed
>hands via Ebay, with each seller claiming to be the original owner.
>And to think those guys don't realize that you can sometimes track
>their actions and catch them in their BS. If you want to get away with
>this nonsense, at least wait until the feedback from when you bought
>the item isn't still an 'active' feedback that allows you to link to
>the previous auction.

As long as the condition matches the description, does it really matter how
they got the item?
--------------
Alex

David White
November 22nd 05, 07:55 PM
Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> As long as the condition matches the description, does it really matter how
> they got the item?
> --------------
> Alex

Well, not if it is stolen property. If a story sounds too odd, it may well
indicate that the seller has not come into posession of the item via legitimate
means. I am making no comment on what the OP stated was in this auction. But I
have seen auctions that I avoided due to this sort of thing. Add to all this
the rising number of "spam" auctions being created on EBay. Some of these have
included Scott bikes (and Trek and many others). I would urge caution if
descriptions, explainations, or question responses don't make for a coherent
picture.

David

Scott
November 23rd 05, 12:30 AM
Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> In article . com>,
> says...
> >I was just looking at a Scott CR1 frameset offered up on Ebay, and the
> >seller said he got it as a 'gift', but had a great frame already so he
> >stripped the parts to use on the other frame and he was auctioning the
> >frameset. Said he needed to finance his student lifestyle.
> >On a hunch, I checked out his feedback and guess what I found. He
> >bought an identical frameset on Nov 4 from another guy who I'd
> >discovered earlier would buy items and resell 'em, claiming he was the
> >original owner and just needed the money.
> >Makes you wonder how many times some of the same items have changed
> >hands via Ebay, with each seller claiming to be the original owner.
> >And to think those guys don't realize that you can sometimes track
> >their actions and catch them in their BS. If you want to get away with
> >this nonsense, at least wait until the feedback from when you bought
> >the item isn't still an 'active' feedback that allows you to link to
> >the previous auction.
>

> As long as the condition matches the description, does it really matter how
> they got the item?
> --------------
> Alex

Alex, et al...

I suppose it doesn't, but the point is that once you've discovered
misrepresentations and/or untruths, you have to be a bit suspect about
everything. It's one thing if you're talking about a pair of $10 brake
pads, but it's another thing altogether to risk many hundreds of $$$
for what may be an item that doesn't match the description or worse
yet, receive no item at all. You don't really know what you're getting
until it shows up and by then it may be too late.

GWood
November 23rd 05, 07:24 PM
Bingo. For me, any item over $100 that isn't new in shrink wrap requires
contacting the seller. Their replies can indicate both that they know what
they're talking about, and that they seem legit. I know the second point is
highly subjective, but if someone is selling a high end bike or component(s)
and hasn't a clue, they'd best have a good reason as to why they're in the
dark.

If they're vague, evasive or non-responsive, I just don't play. Nothing
would peeve me more than finding out I had bought a hot item - I've been on
the victim side of gear thefts before...

There are lots of ads out there for gear

> Alex Rodriguez wrote:
> I suppose it doesn't, but the point is that once you've discovered
> misrepresentations and/or untruths, you have to be a bit suspect about
> everything. It's one thing if you're talking about a pair of $10 brake
> pads, but it's another thing altogether to risk many hundreds of $$$
> for what may be an item that doesn't match the description or worse
> yet, receive no item at all. You don't really know what you're getting
> until it shows up and by then it may be too late.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home