PDA

View Full Version : $500 and a Muni-shaped hole burning in my wallet

podzol
November 22nd 05, 05:01 AM
I have $500.00 (not an excessive amount, I know, but enough?)

What Muni combo should I (a Muni novice) get?
5 feet 6 inches 130 pounds?

Seat, post, hub, cranks, tire, rim, pedals, the works?

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!
Blake

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

tomblackwood
November 22nd 05, 05:08 AM
podzol wrote:
> I have $500.00 (not an excessive amount, I know, but enough?) What Muni
> combo should I (a Muni novice) get?

Assuming you don't want to remain a novice, it's better to aim for more
unicycle than you currently need, knowing that your commitment and
practice will help you grow into it. Then you're not buying something
only to want to sell it and buy something better a year later. That, at
least, was my theory in shelling out 4-digits for a Hunter/Profile
setup which will always be a better unicycle than I will be a unicycle
rider.

The good news is, a serious muni no longer carries a 4-digit price tag.
If you have $500 and can somehow scrape together another $20 (plus tax
and shipping), I think it would be hard to beat the new 'KH Freeride'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=800).

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

Gilby
November 22nd 05, 05:13 AM
podzol wrote:
> I have $500.00 (not an excessive amount, I know, but enough?)
>
> What Muni combo should I (a Muni novice) get?
> 5 feet 6 inches 130 pounds?
>
> Seat, post, hub, cranks, tire, rim, pedals, the works?
>
> Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!
> Blake

I love my '05 KH muni, which goes for US$520 on udc, and about the same
from bedford (depending on exchange rate or how Darren prices them for
US customers). It has pretty much the best components available on it
w/o spending much much more.

I'm only speculating here, but you may be able to get a better deal,
than listed, on the XC version as those have not been selling as well
and they may have too much inventory. That might be a good choice
depending on the terrain you're going to ride on. It's lighter than the
freeride, so if you are not going to be doing a lot of drops, hopping,
or other trials type stuff on the trail, it's a better choice.

--
Gilby
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

TheBadger587
November 22nd 05, 07:31 AM
A KH unicycle will not let you down.

--
TheBadger587

Gliding, finally.

AIM:TheBadger587
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

Checkernuts
November 22nd 05, 07:58 AM
I would go with the KH XC24 I think the whole 24x3 gazz fad should be
wrapping up around now and while fat tires are good sometimes they also
add alot of weight and make manuvering on not so crazy trails harder.

--
Checkernuts

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

podzol
November 22nd 05, 12:08 PM
You guys are great. Thanks so munch!
How important /desirable is a brake for MunI?

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

joemarshall
November 22nd 05, 12:14 PM
You don't need one if you're a novice, but you may want to upgrade to
one at a later date. Some people even say it's a bad idea to learn with
a brake, as you don't learn such good wheel control.

If you've got the choice, it's probably a good idea to get a unicycle
like a KH or Onza muni, with brake mounts so you can upgrade later if
you need to.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

habbywall
November 22nd 05, 12:47 PM
500 could nearly get you two!
My birthday is shortly after christmas if you were wondering what to do
with your second one.

--
habbywall

what who said your sig. is supposed to be funny?
habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

podzol
November 22nd 05, 01:00 PM
habbywall wrote:
> 500 could nearly get you two!
> My birthday is shortly after christmas if you were wondering what to do
> with your second one.

I donate all extra unis to the Memphis Unicycle Club!

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

pdc
November 22nd 05, 02:00 PM
The Torker DX is pretty nice. It's actually has a rim that can take a 3"
tire. For under $300.

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

manon1wheel
November 22nd 05, 02:37 PM
pdc wrote:
> The Torker DX is pretty nice. It's actually has a rim that can take a 3"
> tire. For under $300.

yes and i have it(the 20" version) its a great unicycle.. but i dont
think the frame will take the 24x3'' tire

--
manon1wheel

Riley Crosby

getting better... lvl 5 unicyclist
-.- T1me to overthrow most replies!!-.-
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

flyer
November 22nd 05, 03:10 PM
If you have the $$, I would vote KH Freeride. Mine is almost here :D

it's got a slightly wider rim, possibly stronger crankset (I don't know
about this, but I suspect the KH is better quality than the Torker for
some reason ;) ), comfier seat, and removable saddle cover in case you
decide to go air or anything like that.

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

loosejello
November 22nd 05, 06:51 PM
manon1wheel wrote:
> yes and i have it(the 20" version) its a great unicycle.. but i dont
> think the frame will take the 24x3'' tire

Yes, it DOES take a 24x3, and it has for over a YEAR.

--
loosejello
loosejello's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8295

babyivan
November 22nd 05, 06:59 PM
It seems to me that KH is a better product then Torker.

I own a Torker and I love it......this is just what Ive been hearing

--
babyivan

*NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN!*
babyivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11031

podzol
November 22nd 05, 08:21 PM
A 24" KH XC is on it's way to central PA!!

Thanks folks, for helping me decide confidently!

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

tomblackwood
November 22nd 05, 08:25 PM
podzol wrote:
> A 24" KH XC is on it's way to central PA!! Thanks folks, for helping me
> decide confidently!

Way to go! Congratulations on your soon-to-be new KH. I look forward to
a post on your inaugural ride.

Congrats also on making up your mind so quick. I over-analyzed before
buying my muni, although this forum was very helpful in giving me lots
of feedback on the different models that I was considering. As a
result, I made the right decision at the time, and have had no regrets.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...

babyivan
November 22nd 05, 09:13 PM
Why is there a $6 difference between the Freeride and the XC?

--
babyivan

*NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN!*
babyivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11031

podzol
November 22nd 05, 09:13 PM
Thanks, TomBlackwood!
This is an early Christmas present to myself, and I want to get in some
good riding before the sludge gets too thick on the trails, so
decisiveness was of the order!

Thanks for your suggestions, and I'll be sure to post on my first ride.
I'll get my kid to take some pics of me feelin' fine on my new wheel!

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

podzol
November 22nd 05, 09:14 PM
babyivan wrote:
> Why is there a $6 difference between the Freeride and the XC?

Should it be more or less?

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

cathwood
November 22nd 05, 09:23 PM
I'm getting a new uni too. From hubby for my b'day. We thought it would
be a sensible and fitting pressie for my 40th.
I'm getting an onza trials, so that I can pretend I can do that stuff.
The onza is the best choice for me cos I have an onza muni which I love
to bits. So there was no contest really.

Cathy

--
cathwood

'Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive - C.S.Lewis

'http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk' (http://www.chuckingandtwirling.
co.uk)

podzol
December 1st 05, 02:17 AM
I T H A S A R R I V E D ! ! !

It had to wait until dark to get here, of course, but it's just lovely.
:p

I have a question about the seat post clamp. It uses a hex key (Allen
wrench, whatever secularism works for you). So what do you do when you
are out on the trail and the seat gets knocked? Does any one have any
tricks for stashing a hex key on the unicycle, like under the seat or
something?

I just bruised myself badly on my Nimbus with the quickie clamp on the
seat post, so this smaller closer-to-the-post design definitely has
some appeal.

Thanks! I will get some pics of me trying it in the great outdoors
tomorrow.

Blake

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Gilby
December 1st 05, 02:19 AM
podzol wrote:
> So what do you do when you are out on the trail and the seat gets
> knocked? Does any one have any tricks for stashing a hex key on the
> unicycle, like under the seat or something?

I keep one in my camelbak.

--
Gilby
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

tholub
December 1st 05, 02:21 AM
podzol wrote:
> I T H A S A R R I V E D ! ! !
>
> It had to wait until dark to get here, of course, but it's just lovely.
> :p
>
> I have a question about the seat post clamp. It uses a hex key (Allen
> wrench, whatever secularism works for you). So what do you do when you
> are out on the trail and the seat gets knocked? Does any one have any
> tricks for stashing a hex key on the unicycle, like under the seat or
> something?

You want a multi-tool; you can pick one up in any bike shop. You can
stash it in your CamelBak; you probably don't want it on the unicycle,
there's no way it would survive MUni down there.

--
tholub

Terry17
December 1st 05, 02:29 AM
Central PA? Why was I under the impression you were out in Washington
State? Anyway, congrats on your new uni and let us know what you think
of the beast... (The 24" KH XC is one of my 'future fantasy'
purchases, so I'm looking forward to details....! )

--
Terry17
Terry17's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11215

podzol
December 1st 05, 02:46 AM
Terry17 wrote:
> Central PA? Why was I under the impression you were out in Washington
> State? Anyway, congrats on your new uni and let us know what you think
> of the beast... (The 24" KH XC is one of my 'future fantasy'
> purchases, so I'm looking forward to details....! )

I was in WA until I graudated. Now I'm a postdoc at Penn State. I moved
in August. It's nice here. I am happy everywhere I go, but the trees
and mountains certainly add to my experience here.

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Unitik908
December 1st 05, 04:52 AM
what no pics of you with your new baby?

edit... my apologies i didnt look very throughly

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -

podzol
December 1st 05, 01:21 PM
Well, here you go, not high quality, but the photographer was 6 years
old and he did the best he could with the subject at hand!

It's a blast! I can see I have a lot to learn.

Thanks everyone for helping me pick my new mountain unicycle!

|Filename: mUni.jpg |

podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

steveyo
December 1st 05, 01:58 PM
podzol wrote:
> A 24" KH XC is on it's way to central PA!!
>
> Thanks folks, for helping me decide confidently!

You won't regret it. After gaining some skill and expertise, I'm come
to really appreciate my KH's quality, lightness and creaminess.

--
steveyo

--
steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

MuniDevin
January 8th 06, 04:13 PM
I'm getting myself a norco muni with splined crank and kris holm saddle
Is that any good? I'm not major "Oh lets go jump off a cliff" Cause I
still kinda suck lol But there it is right there
<
<
<
<
Is it any good?

--
MuniDevin

Peace

-Devin
MuniDevin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11461

unidaddy
January 8th 06, 04:21 PM
podzol wrote:
> I donate all extra unis to the Memphis Unicycle Club!

A super-worthy beneficiary.....but The Wonders are closer to home for
you!

Have a great time with the new KH......if you're ever in the Pittsburgh
area, there are some great trails to ride (along with some fun guys
[fungi{s}]).

--
unidaddy
unidaddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7879

podzol
January 8th 06, 04:41 PM
unidaddy wrote:
> A super-worthy beneficiary.....but The Wonders are closer to home for
> you!
>
> Have a great time with the new KH......if you're ever in the Pittsburgh
> area, there are some great trails to ride (along with some fun guys
> [fungi{s}]).

Hi uniDaddy.
Who are the Wonders? Sorry for my ignorance. I am looking for folks to
ride with! I do get to Pittsburg sometimes, so when my Muni skills are
up to snuff, I'll let you know! Any freestylers out there?

I got my KH and haven't had the time to get out and ride it much! I
have auditions for my orchestra next week, so after that i will have
more time. :)

As unidaddy, do you have kids that ride?

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

unidaddy
January 8th 06, 05:07 PM
I have two kids that ride, and another one that's starting to learn.
Their ages are 8, 6, and 5.......all girls. We ride (yes freestyle)
every Tuesday night at the Thomas Presby Church's gym. It's a really
fun group of people, very family friendly. We're going to get a little
TV publicity on the 24th at 7:30pm on WQED/TV the local PBS station.

http://www.thewonders.zoomshare.com/

If you're ever in the neighborhood, let us know! Muni, freestyle, or
Coker..we have fun places to ride (although it's nice and hilly around
State College, too). What orchestra are you auditioning for? I play
in the PSO. What a life!

--
unidaddy
unidaddy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7879

podzol
January 8th 06, 05:16 PM
unidaddy wrote:
> I have two kids that ride, and another one that's starting to learn.
> Their ages are 8, 6, and 5.......all girls. We ride (yes freestyle)
> every Tuesday night at the Thomas Presby Church's gym. It's a really
> fun group of people, very family friendly. We're going to get a little
> TV publicity on the 24th at 7:30pm on WQED/TV the local PBS station.
>
> http://www.thewonders.zoomshare.com/
>
> If you're ever in the neighborhood, let us know! Muni, freestyle, or
> Coker..we have fun places to ride (although it's nice and hilly around
> State College, too). What orchestra are you auditioning for? I play
> in the PSO. What a life!

Wow, you must be an excellent musician! What do you play? My
accomplishments are quite modest in comparison. I'm a cellist in the
Penn State Philharmonic, a student ensemble. We are playing 5 concerts
in Spain near Madrid this Spring Break, so I am eager to ge the
audition over with and hopefully make the cut. I have only been playing
a couple years, but I practice -a lot-, so I was able to play with the
group last semester. The year before, I played in Washington States
University's orchesrta, I think they let me in to keep an eye on the
youngsters in the back row more than anything else. :)

Music is intergral to my life. My son plays cello a bit, too. he's 6
but prefers singing. I built a harpsichord from a kit and am learning
to restore violins and cellos. My Dad was a piano tuner in Detroit when
I was a kid so music has been a part of my life longer than unicycling.

Great to hear there are other unicyling musicians around! The Wonders
group does look liek a lot of fun!
Blake

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Google