PDA

View Full Version : how much can i cut down the foam on my kh seat

unicyclistben
November 22nd 05, 11:08 PM
how much can i cut down the foam on my kh style seat

--
unicyclistben
unicyclistben's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10897

maestro8
November 23rd 05, 12:20 AM
unicyclistben wrote:
> how much can i cut down the foam on my kh style seat

As much as you like. You can even remove the foam altogether, though
it will leave you with a less-than-comfortable ride.

First, let's find out why you want to cut it down, and what kind of
riding you'll use it for... then we can help you decide how much and
where to cut.

If you just want to make it a little more comfortable, just take an
inch slice off the top of the "nose" of the seat. If you want
something for super-tech street / seat-out trials, then you'll probably
want to lose the foam altogether and replace it with a gel insert or a
small bit of foam rubber or something...

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

john_childs
November 23rd 05, 12:21 AM
unicyclistben wrote:
> how much can i cut down the foam on my kh style seat

This is how I cut down my Fusion (scroll down to the bottom of the
gallery): 'Airseat gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Airseat)

Use an electric carving knife to cut the foam. You get a very nice
smooth cut. Do not use a utility knife cause you'll just make a ragged
mess. You could probably also use a hack saw with a good blade, but I
haven't tried that so I don't know how smooth and even of a cut you'll
get. But definitely do not use a utility knife or a razor blade style
knife, you'll just ruin the foam.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

unicyclistben
November 23rd 05, 12:34 AM
also i am using this for muni i have been told cut it by half
but hwen u ,mesure half do u measure it from the botom of the side
foam or where the side foam ends?

--
unicyclistben
unicyclistben's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10897

john_childs
November 23rd 05, 12:57 AM
unicyclistben wrote:
> also i am using this for muni i have been told cut it by half
> but hwen u ,mesure half do u measure it from the botom of the side
> foam or where the side foam ends?

If you're going for muni I'd cut it like I did in the gallery I posted.
That flattens out the seat curve and makes it more comfortable. For
muni you don't need a thin seat.

For trials or freestyle you can cut it down in half. Cut the bottom
half off and discard the bottom half. That way you still have the
smooth top part to sit on. The contour on the top half is important
for comfort. If you cut off the top you'll have a more difficult time
shaping it to get it comfortable again.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com