PDA

View Full Version : der Uber Coker videos + review

siafirede
November 23rd 05, 12:46 AM
Okay, so last weekend I went up to NYC to try out der Uber Coker (geared
coker, geared to 1.5:1). I mainly wanted to try out the beast to see
if I wanted to invest in a schlumpf 36er, and well...after trying
it...I DO! The 54" equivalent wheel is incredible. I do not own a
coker, and last saturday was only the second or third time I had been
on a regular coker, let alone a geared one, but I was able to ride der
Uber Coker quite well. It took a couple minutes to get the hang of it
and freemount it, but after a while I was able to freemount and blast
off. It is a little slow to start, but once you get it started it
moves beautifully. It is so smooth and requires little effort to go
fast, it does however require more concentration than a regular coker.
Either way, it was an incredible feeling pedaling so slow and going so
fast! I think that with the schlumpf hub being able to downshift to
the 1:1 mode to go uphill will be great and then on the flats and
downhills shifting up to the 1:1.5 mode would be great. Der Uber
currently has 150mm cranks on it, and these were perfect. I don't
think I would go any higher than 150mm because it would probably hurt
my knees more on long distance, and smaller than 150mm I would lose a
little control. The only downside to der Uber was that it was rather
heavy, but it was not that much heavier than Andrew's stock coker, so
it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Here are some videos of me riding der Uber, and one video of Andrew
doing a pirouette on his stock coker:

http://www.enhansa.net/unicycling/NY/

I just emailed Florian and he said that if I ordered now I could have
the hub in about 3 weeks, so I am pretty sure I am going to order one
soon.

--
siafirede
siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057

Brian MacKenzie
November 23rd 05, 02:25 AM
That looks great!

I never got a chance to use 110's on that before, but my local
Velodrome shall prove the perfect place for that! I'm anxious to try
out the new and improved uber, i only had it before Andrew smashed it
up ;)

Ride it while you can, It's coming home to Canada in two weeks :)

Andrew, nice work on those pirouttes, too bad you weren't on a gym
floor or something slick. ( I did notice that Grant's tomb had quite
the slick surfaces inside! )

see you guys soon!

--
Brian MacKenzie
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

siafirede
November 23rd 05, 02:29 AM
110s + der Uber + a velodrome....sounds like heaven! Be sure to take
some videos and record your speed!

--
siafirede
siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057

babyivan
November 23rd 05, 02:41 AM
Awesome vids!!
You can hear me yapping it up with Andrew in one of them.
The first one with the pirouettes is gr8t!

--
babyivan

*NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN!*
babyivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11031

podzol
November 23rd 05, 02:52 AM
I only get the sound!
What are you using to play. I updated quicktime and still only sound.
Thanks!

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Brian MacKenzie
November 23rd 05, 02:59 AM
good ol' windows media player

did it at least 'sound' fast?

--
Brian MacKenzie
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

siafirede
November 23rd 05, 03:00 AM
If you only hear sound you might need the divx codec (www.divx.com)

but yeah, I am using windows media player as well.

--
siafirede
siafirede's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6057

babyivan
November 23rd 05, 03:03 AM
I used real player and it came out fine, but siafirede is right, you
probably just need the proper codec.

--
babyivan

*NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN!*
babyivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11031

harper
November 23rd 05, 03:56 AM
Nice videos. Glad you guys had fun with it. I wish fearless Andrew would
take it out on a bike trail and get someone to clock him on it before
he gives it to pokey Brian.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

Brian MacKenzie
November 23rd 05, 03:57 AM
harper wrote:
> before he gives it to pokey Brian.

hopefully i will be able to get it up to 10-12 km/h!

--
Brian MacKenzie
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

harper
November 23rd 05, 03:58 AM
Brian MacKenzie wrote:
> hopefully i will be able to get it up to 10-12 km/h!

You don't even drive that fast. Sissy.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

Brian MacKenzie
November 23rd 05, 04:06 AM
harper wrote:
> You don't even drive that fast. Sissy.

Maybe the man in a women's swimsuit is right...I AM a sissy :(

--
Brian MacKenzie
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

podzol
November 23rd 05, 04:33 AM
I got it to work. Just some messed up quick time issue. Media player
worked better. :)

SO that was fantastic!!! Itis so neat just to see people riding
together. Dont take that for granted. I have always ridden alone. (poor
me). Any how. Very nice fast riding!!!

--
podzol
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

HardcoreCokerRider
November 27th 05, 07:50 PM
harper wrote:
> I wish fearless Andrew would take it out on a bike trail and get someone
> to clock him on it before he gives it to pokey Brian.

I would very much like to make that wish come true before I have to
give it back in a week or so! Now that I've been riding der Uber in the
street, I'd like to get clocked on 5th Ave. or Broadway as well...
makes for better scenery and there's a bit more of an urgency to make
sure nothing goes wrong... plus the police really seem to get a kick
out of it! Now, I just need someone to clock me. Maybe I'll post an ad
on Craigs List for someone who can clock me on their bike.

Brian MacKenzie wrote:
> Andrew, nice work on those pirouttes, too bad you weren't on a gym floor
> or something slick. (I did notice that Grant's tomb had quite the slick
> surfaces inside!)

That wasn't one of my better ones... but thanks, Brian.

The security guards hassle me when I ride down the stairs outside of
the building housing Grant's Tomb... so I doubt they would take too
kindly to my doing pirouettes inside the building, unfortunately!

harper wrote:

> Brian MacKenzie wrote:
> > hopefully i will be able to get it up to 10-12 km/h!
>
> You don't even drive that fast. Sissy.

Though I haven't driven in a car with him, I have faith that Brian will
be able to achieve his goal of 10-12 km/h!

... it's more the banking at the velodrome that concerns me! (Remember
the last time Brian rode his Coker on some banking? :eek:)

|Filename: Brian_after_berm.jpg |

HardcoreCokerRider
HardcoreCokerRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8529

Brian MacKenzie
November 28th 05, 01:40 PM
HardcoreCokerRider wrote:
> (Remember the last time Brian rode his Coker on some banking? :eek:)

No, no I don't....

--
Brian MacKenzie
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

manon1wheel
November 28th 05, 11:30 PM
hey guys... i need pic of der uber coker.. close up at the hub and
cranks please, my brother wants to see it close up, thanks

--
manon1wheel

Riley Crosby

getting better... lvl 5 unicyclist