PDA

View Full Version : newbie looking for a giraffe unicycle.

OLLIE
November 23rd 05, 05:40 PM
hi as in the title im new, well new to the foum, i ride a 20" uni and i
am looking for a giraffe uni what would be the best giraffe for someone
who has never ridden a giraffe before?
please help
ollie

--
OLLIE
OLLIE's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11221

forrestunifreak
November 23rd 05, 08:47 PM
It depends on how much you want to spend... If money isn't too much of a
problem, something like 'this one'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=93) or 'this one'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=747) would be good for
beginers and experts alike. But if you don't want to spend a whole lot
of money and just want a good, solid, basic giraffe I would recomend
the 'Torker TX' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=763),
which is the one I have myself.

Also, the 'Savage'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=846) is on sale at the
moment, for $99. This one is the cheapest, but it's also really basic,
esp. the saddle, which isn't too comfy. I would definitly go for the
Torker over this.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

--
forrestunifreak

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

kington99
November 23rd 05, 09:08 PM
Ollie, if you look in the product review section there's a thread about
the TX. It's pretty good, i'm contemplating going for a ride right now
on mine actually.

--
kington99

Dave

flyer
November 23rd 05, 09:11 PM
The TX is a really solid giraffe. I have one, and would reccommend it.
It's also fairly cheap. win-win. The Nimbus expanding giraffe thingey
is pretty cool too on UDC. I wouldn't recommend 8-foot mode till you
are really confident though.

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

kington99
November 23rd 05, 11:26 PM
Woo giraffes rock, was feeling pretty bad earlier so decided to go for a
couple of laps of the city centre. Did 25 mins with no falls and no
attention from the police. I made people laugh, shook hands, had photos
taken and one girl told me she loved me, i kid you not. The TX is the
ultimate chick magnet, get one as soon as possible.

--
kington99

Dave

Skippii
November 23rd 05, 11:57 PM
forrestunifreak wrote:
> Also, the 'Savage' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=846)
> is on sale at the moment, for $99. This one is the cheapest, but it's
> also really basic, esp. the saddle, which isn't too comfy.

I have that one.
it's a foot taller than the torker, which makes it a lot cooler, and
better to be seen when street performing, but might take a bit longer
to learn to mount.
The saddle isn't that bad--you can easily do 3-4 miles or more a day on
it (I do.)

--
Skippii

One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

xeaza
November 24th 05, 02:03 PM
I bought a shwin 6' giraffe for 40$ from a guy that lives next door to
me.
There is a guy who will make them for you but I don't know how much
they cost.

--
xeaza

My Web site.
www.wrightsanson.com/taylor
:cool: :D :coo:l
xeaza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10500

OLLIE
November 25th 05, 05:53 PM
thanks for the help guys, what size do all of your ride, and what feels
the best?
thanks
ollie

--
OLLIE
OLLIE's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11221

babyivan
November 25th 05, 05:59 PM
Go for the Torker giraffe, they seem to make good inexpensive solid
stuff that's perfect for beginners like you and me.

--
babyivan

*NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN!*
babyivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11031

jsm
November 25th 05, 06:14 PM
I ride a Bedford giraffe, which is about 5'7" at the height I keep the
saddle. I can definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good
giraffe. I've dropped it many times while learning various freestyle
moves, and have even landed on it once or twice, but it's still in
great shape.

As to what height of giraffe you should buy, it probably depends on
your priorities. If you want one that's really impressive, go for a
taller one, but remember that it will take a lot of dedication to learn
to mount it. If you want one that you can freemount easily, go for a
shorter one.

Before buying any giraffe, you should consider whether you want to
spend your money on something which you probably won't have much use
for. Personally, I really enjoy riding my giraffe, but if you do mostly
trials stuff you might get bored with it very quickly.

--
jsm

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia