PDA

View Full Version : Fried Alive on Devil's Slide Muni Run

vivalargo
November 24th 05, 08:53 PM
Early this morning, prior to stuffing 10 pounds of turkey and 50 beers
down my cakehole, Josh and I met in North San Fernando Valley and
dropped into Devil's Slide Trail. We'd ridden it last weekend after
G-Spot, but that trail beat us up so bad we could only fake it on
Devil's Slide. This time we cleaned the whole enchilada, which follows
a mile long, 30 foot wide ribbon of rock that thins to dirt in several
sections and plunges through dozens of ledge drops and swooping,
water-worn bowls. The pure rock sections resemble a whitewater river in
mineral form, with standing waves, boils, troughs, eddies and polished
sink holes.

The riding is deceptively tricky, owing to all the back angled "waves"
in the rock, and the fact that most lines dead end in chasms, fissures
that lock your tire fast, or weird, tiered staircases where the tiers
are radically back tilted. Picking the right line involves sneaking
glances far ahead then darting your eyes back to your tire. When the
trail steepens up, if you roll too fast you can't pick or hold a line
and can only hope you can run out the UPD, which is inevitable. Go too
slow and you can't tractor over the "waves."

The hardest part was trying to figure out which technique to use and
where to use it. To keep the run going for 100 or so yards requires
transitioning between quasi muni trials riding for the bowls and ledge
sections and then into rolling and "skinny" riding down rock ribs
interspersed with tractoring over all those waves. For a trail that
was not all that steep, we found it strenuous and lung busting.

Devil's Slide is a different kind of riding than we're used to, and we
kept finding ourselves saying, "That don't look bad," only to get
bucked off because of those back-tilted waves, or because we got locked
into a dead end line. Toward the bottom we started putting longer
pieces together, and after a few more runs down the Devil's Slide, I
trust we'll have it down..

I'm continually amazed with the variety of Muni trails, and how much
different one is from the other so far as techniques required. Wild
aggression on Devil's Slide will get you nothing more than a faceplant
on the rocks. It's all agility, quick adaptation and fitness.

And man, was it hot out there!

Josh will post some pics later today.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

entropy
November 24th 05, 09:09 PM
What a ride! It was good to do that trail fresh. Almost December and
still blazing hot on the rocks...

Here's the link to the gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/7jkz5

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

Evan Byrne
November 24th 05, 09:51 PM
Ey john, sounds like a awesome ride. You'r riding a KH 05' now? no more
large marge/profile/lightrider?

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

entropy
November 25th 05, 12:43 AM
Evan Byrne wrote:
> Ey john, sounds like a awesome ride. You'r riding a KH 05' now? no more
> large marge/profile/lightrider?

John was experimenting with a brake to see if it offered any advantages
on such rolling landscape - I don't think the factory brake setup works
with the Large Marge, so he was riding a backup uni with the skinny(!)
rim.

At any rate, the brake was useless.

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

forrestunifreak
November 25th 05, 01:11 AM
You guys just keep going don't you? I wish I had all those nice muni
places closeby.

But you HAVE to go to Moab Munifest this year...

--
forrestunifreak

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

entropy
November 26th 05, 05:43 PM
forrestunifreak wrote:
> You guys just keep going don't you? I wish I had all those nice muni
> places closeby.
>
> But you HAVE to go to Moab Munifest this year...

Count on it! Looking forward to the trip, the trails, and meeting up
with everyone who made it (or didn't) to CMW. March 24-26th, 2006!
You'd better be there. :D

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816