PDA

View Full Version : aluminum bearing housings

joel burgess
November 26th 05, 03:41 AM
hey i've been working on a custom aluminum uni frame for a bit now but i
can't find any aluminum bearing housings for sale and i dont now any
one that can build them for me . im looking for the same kind as the
ones on the 05 kris holm uni ,if any one knows of any i could by or
some one that makes them can you please reply or send me an e mail
burg_01 at hotmail.com thanks..joel burgess

--
joel burgess
joel burgess's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7685

JustOneWheel
November 26th 05, 04:19 AM
joel burgess wrote:
> hey i've been working on a custom aluminum uni frame for a bit now but i
> can't find any aluminum bearing housings for sale and i dont now any
> one that can build them for me . im looking for the same kind as the
> ones on the 05 kris holm uni ,if any one knows of any i could by or
> some one that makes them can you please reply or send me an e mail
> burg_01 at hotmail.com thanks..joel burgess

Hey Joel,

I have an aluminum fabricator who can make anything out of aluminum. I
am designing a custom Coker frame now.
He has built me bearing housings for a project in the past.
I am seeing you in a week. If I can help just let me know.
You can call me at (516)702-9807.

Adam

--
JustOneWheel

There is no better way to have Fun and Exersize. "UNICYCLE"
JustOneWheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9237

gerblefranklin
November 26th 05, 07:57 AM
Wait, if you are making an alumunim frame, then that entails at least
making the top half of the bearing holders. If you can't do that, how
will you do the rest?

Bearing holders aren't that bad with a milling machine, rotary table,
and t-slot cutter. A good starting machining project if you would like
to learn.

Why do you need aluminum bearing caps, though. I have an aluminum
frame, and I use stock Yuni bearing caps on it, because theyy're cheap,
durable, and, well, adaquate. They are better than al. for grinds and
pedalgrabs.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

Tellurider
November 26th 05, 03:45 PM
gerblefranklin wrote:
> Wait, if you are making an alumunim frame, then that entails at least
> making the top half of the bearing holders. If you can't do that, how
> will you do the rest?

Not if he isn't machining a frame. He is probably building a frame from
tubing that is welded.

--
Tellurider

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

gerblefranklin
November 26th 05, 08:06 PM
I considered that, but regardless, he's going to need some bearing caps
to weld on. And even if you weld, there's still machining involved. You
have to machine the seattube bore to the proper diameter.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

Tellurider
November 26th 05, 08:27 PM
That's why he is trying to find bearing housings so he doesn't have to
make them himself. I assume he is wanting both top and bottom parts and
will weld the tops onto the frame. The seat tube you can buy with the
right wall thickness and standard OD and you can avoid having to have
it bored out. With a 1 1/4" OD and a wall thickness of .083 it works
out perfect for a 27.2 mm seatpost.

--
Tellurider

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

Tim
November 26th 05, 08:34 PM
Tellurider wrote:
> The seat tube you can buy with the right wall thickness and standard OD
> and you can avoid having to have it bored out. With a 1 1/4" OD and a
> wall thickness of .083 it works out perfect for a 27.2 mm seatpost.

I was thinking about that. You dont have to worry about outside.

In the next twoish years I'm going to make a Ti unicycle. Everything I
can out of Ti.

I dont know of any Al bearing housings you might need to make your own.

--
Tim

Tim 'Braun' (http://www.tim.com.mk/izdanija/1/189.jpg)

Smoking Jagurs old pipe.

Tellurider
November 26th 05, 08:43 PM
Tim wrote:
> I was thinking about that. You dont have to worry about outside.
>
> I dont know of any Al bearing housings you might need to make your own.

Yeah you don't need to worry about it but tubing comes in standard OD
sizes and then different wall thicknesses I'm building a frame with a
24.4 mm seatpost and it is a 1 1/8" tube with a .059 wall thickness and
seat post clamps are sized to fit standard OD sizes.

I know he won't find any bearing holders that are pre made but you can
have them made for you like Just one Wheel did.

--
Tellurider

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

gerblefranklin
November 27th 05, 02:50 AM
Tellurider wrote:
> That's why he is trying to find bearing housings so he doesn't have to
> make them himself. I assume he is wanting both top and bottom parts and
> will weld the tops onto the frame. The seat tube you can buy with the
> right wall thickness and standard OD and you can avoid having to have
> it bored out. With a 1 1/4" OD and a wall thickness of .083 it works
> out perfect for a 27.2 mm seatpost.

I've been through this. i've bought Al. tubing of that exact type,
however the tolerances on the extrusion aren't accurate enough for a
seattube. At the very least I had to run a reamer through it. In some
cases I ended up using a boring bar.

You can buy "tubing" spec'd either way. For tubing it's spec'd by OD
and wall thickness, for pipe it's spec'd by ID and either guage or
schedule, suck as 16 guage or schedule 40. Your average handrail tubing
is 1" sch. 40 pipe.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

Tellurider
November 27th 05, 03:11 AM
I have only used cromoly steel tubing and have had great luck with that
for seat tubes but I haven't tried building with aluminum. I guess it
may be less consistent. All I was trying to say is that there is more
than one way to build a unicycle and most people don't have milling
machines of their own but can have these things done by a machine shop
if nessasary. But I personaly want to encourage people to give it a try
to build their own uni it can be frustrating but also very rewarding.

--
Tellurider

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

joel burgess
November 27th 05, 03:45 AM
Tellurider wrote:
> Not if he isn't machining a frame. He is probably building a frame from
> tubing that is welded.

your right i am NOT machining a solid aluminum frame:eek:

--
joel burgess
joel burgess's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7685

joel burgess
November 27th 05, 03:50 AM
first of alluminum cant be welded to any other metal thats why i need
the alluminum bearing housings and i have welded cromoly steel before
and i personaly think alluminum is quite a bit harder to weld

--
joel burgess
joel burgess's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7685

gerblefranklin
November 27th 05, 08:46 PM
Nobody said aluminum was easier to weld.

I know aluminum can't be welded to other metals, however when i first
read your post I assumed you already had the top bearing caps and just
needed the bottoms, which is why I reccomended that you use Yuni ones.

Pull out your yellowpages, and look under "machine shop". Call up some
of them, and ask if they will teach you to use their machines on a
small project, and then explain the bearing housings to them. Most of
the older, family shops I've spoken to are happy to help teenagers
learn some basic machining, being as very few people express interest
in that kind of stuff. I would say you could make the seattube and
bearing holders in a couple days if the shop has the time free on the
machines.

If you don't want to do that, draw some plans for the bearing mounts,
then take them to a local machinist and ask him how much he can make
them for. Ask two or three, because some of them might try to screw
you. I would bet that you can get the bearing housings for as little as
$25 each, if not less, but don't quote me on that. Remember, shop rate
among professional machinists is $100 per hour. The shop where I work,
the guy does $90 an hour, and most of the local shops ask $150 an hour
and up. THis is why I reccomend making your own, because it's just not
cost efficient to ask someone to do the setup just for four parts. The
Yuni and KH bearing housings are so cheap because the cost of setting
up is distributed over hundreds of parts, not just four.

Because of the cost of setup, if you decide to contract a shop into
making you a set, ask for at least two sets of bearing mounts. This
will make the cost of the initial setup be distributed over more
pieces, making the per-part cost lower, and allowing you to make later
frames for less.

If none of this works, call up Rick Hunter of Hunter Cycles. He makes
his own steel bearing housings for the Hunter Frame, and might be
willing to make you a set, but I have no idea how much he'll want for
the job.

I wasn't trying to stop you from making a frame, I'm just trying to
point out that there's more to them than welding if you want to really
customize them. I'm not advocating SH type frames, but it just seems
natural to try to make as much of the frame as possible. I guess I'm
just being anal, though.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

joel burgess
November 27th 05, 10:08 PM
hey thanks very much for the help ill consider all of that !!! ..
joel

--
joel burgess
joel burgess's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7685