PDA

View Full Version : G-Spot Muni -- 2nd Go

vivalargo
November 28th 05, 05:07 AM
Still getting used to blasting down ledgy rock faces ending suddenly
with rolling drops up to 6 feet–the signature maneuver on G-Spot. It's
not so much the heigh but the speed you carry into the launch that
makes things sketchy. There's a couple plunges approaching 12 feet
that are way beyond us at this point.

Highlights include Josh almost cleaning one rock face I originally
thought would never be ridden, plus powering up and launching off a
slew of man-made dirt gap ramps that are part of the "trail." There's
some steep tractoring that feels like home, but G-Spot is mostly a drop
fest connected with high speed cliff diving. For pure fun (minus the
sore spine from 50 drops), G-Spot is the shizzat. Can't wait to share
this trail with others.

Alex Armitage rode along on his MB and got some pics of a couple
sections that show a little about what G-spot is all about. Josh will
post them shortly.

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

entropy
November 28th 05, 05:33 AM
vivalargo wrote:
> Alex Armitage rode along on his MB and got some pics of a couple
> sections that show a little about what G-spot is all about. Josh will
> post them shortly.

One word: WAHOO!

The trail's biggest obstacles seem more psychological than physical.
The 12 and 20-foot drops may, however, need more than the "go for it"
attitude to land.

Photos from today's awesome ride:
http://tinyurl.com/9mx42

I. Love. This. Trail.

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

ColDawG
November 28th 05, 05:42 AM
that looks like a heck of a fun ride! i wish I lived closer to you guys
down there and in SB...

Hopefully i'll get down there sometime w/ corbin and hoovers and gang
to ride that stuff..

those roll-ins look INTENSE!!! i'd love to bike that sometime too!
man...

cool ride

-colin

--
ColDawG

Your friendly, neighborhood Muniman

http://www.wheelaway.com/
ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

andrew_carter
November 28th 05, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the photos, I wish I was there!

--
andrew_carter

...well that's what i think anyway.
*'unicycling tips and tutorials' (http://www.unicycle.2ya.com) |
'my photos and videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/andrew) |
'\\"dancing about architecture\\"'
(http://www.dancingaboutarchitecture.com.au)*

maestro8
November 29th 05, 06:54 AM
vivalargo wrote:
> Can't wait to share this trail with others.

What, do you _really_ want one of us NorCal riders to come down there
and show you how to ride your own trails? We'll give you a head
start... practice through the winter while I save up some paid time off
and perhaps we'll see you in the early spring :)

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

entropy
November 29th 05, 07:19 AM
maestro8 wrote:
> What, do you _really_ want one of us NorCal riders to come down there
> and show you how to ride your own trails? We'll give you a head
> start... practice through the winter while I save up some paid time off
> and perhaps we'll see you in the early spring :)

Oh sure, wait until _after_ the rainy season washes all the hard stuff
away. I see how it is. By the time you get here, the whole thing will
be a giant rut with a few pebbles sticking up. :D

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

nathan
November 29th 05, 09:05 AM
Oh man that looks great. John, you're very photogenic and Alex, awesome
shots! See you guys in a couple of weeks!

---Nathan

--
nathan
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

vivalargo
November 29th 05, 04:17 PM
nathan wrote:
> Oh man that looks great. John, you're very photogenic and Alex, awesome
> shots! See you guys in a couple of weeks!
>
> ---Nathan

Yo, Nathan,

Tell me when you're coming down (like the exact days) and I'll try and
con Alex (photographer) into driving up to SB with me so he can get
some pictures of Beau, who is the future of Muniing. Maybe you guys can
spring loose to get down for a double on G-Spot and Devil's Slide,
which are only half a mile apart. That's a killer day. I think Mango
and Jake and the high flying San Diego boys are coming up soon as well.
My thumb is still busted and it throbs when I do that mile after mile
boulder rolling in SB, so its best I stick around here till I get the
brace off my thumb.

And Maestro, those aren't "our" trails. We've only ridden G-Spot and
Devil's Slide twice, and we're far from owning either one. There's more
around--just gotta keep taking trips with the DH/dirt juimping mountain
bike guys, who know all the "stunt" trails. And make sure you bring
Corbin down with you.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

forrestunifreak
November 29th 05, 07:00 PM
You just keep rubbing it in our faces don't you? :) Just kidding, thanks
for sharing, please post all the pictures you have. That place looks
awsome. I espescially liked 'this' (http://tinyurl.com/bh48d) picture
the best.

When are you going to have a Santa Barbara Muni weekend?

--
forrestunifreak

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

entropy
November 29th 05, 10:40 PM
forrestunifreak wrote:
> That place looks awsome. I espescially liked 'this'
> (http://tinyurl.com/bh48d) picture the best.

That drop was a bit hairy, but it's actually smooth rolling if you
commit. What you don't see in any of those pictures is another steep
rock face twice the height of and right next to the one you just linked
to. We initally thought that it might never be rideable, but once we
took the easy way around it, John pointed out that it wasn't _exactly_
vertical. After a few minutes of us going "maybe that ain't so bad," I
went back to the top and spent about five minutes trying to make up my
mind over whether or not to risk it - remounting, teetering on the lip,
and aborting at the last second. I got myself good and psyched out.
Finally, I mounted, stood still for a second, muttered something like
"now or never" and forward-hopped over the edge.

I didn't actually UPD until my rollout hit a soft patch of dirt on flat
ground. Maybe next time I'll nail it.

(And that's the end of my fish story for the ride.)

> When are you going to have a Santa Barbara Muni weekend?

These last few trails (Devil's Slide, GSpot) are actually near Simi
Valley and Chatsworth, which is closer to LA than Santa Barbara. But
to answer your question -- every weekend is a MUni weekend in SB! :D

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

The Munieer
December 2nd 05, 11:24 PM
Since you guys are into "Rock 'n Roll".

What about Vasquez Rocks just off the 14? I read about a new trail
that just opened up in Soledad Canyon, but know nothing about it other
than it is supposed to be for horses. Both locations are not that far
out from the Valley.

Just some suggestions.

Ride ON!!

--
The Munieer

Rod Wylie - For Contact - DO NOT PM
Email me at rswylie(at)aol(dot)com

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)
The Munieer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/736

vivalargo
December 3rd 05, 04:44 PM
Hi, Rod-

Can you give me directions or a web site where I can find out where
that Soledad Trail is? I'll grab Eyal or Josh and ride it the day
after you tell me where the hell it is.

Thanks,
JL

--