PDA

View Full Version : Greenhorn questions

Mort Guffman
November 28th 05, 02:41 PM
I have decided to buy a new bicycle. My old 10 speed is about 30 years
old and appears to be dead.

The local bike shop sells Cannondale, Specialized, and Trek. Maybe
others.

I am getting old but I'm in decent shape. I want to get some exercise,
explore the bike trails, ride around the 'hood. I won't be going off
the road and won't be commuting.

I have done a lot of reading. I'm not sure if I need a road bike or a
comfort bike. I think I need something in between. I can't handle
another little seat like my 10 speed has however.

I also need to be able to transport the bike to the trails on the back
of a Mustang. I've seen bike racks on the Internet that claim to do
this without having to damage the car. Also have seen a type that
requires a trailer hitch. I could go that way too I suppose. I'd have
to get a hitch.

Thanks for your help

Mort

David Kerber
November 28th 05, 03:22 PM
In article >,
says...

> I have done a lot of reading. I'm not sure if I need a road bike or a
> comfort bike. I think I need something in between. I can't handle
> another little seat like my 10 speed has however.

How about a more comfortable road bike, like a Specialized Sequoiah?
Suspension seatpost, somewhat wider tires, carbon fork. However, no
matter what bike you get, allow for the chance that you might need to
get a different saddle; *no* saddle is comfortable for everybody.

Make sure you test ride several different models and sizes to see what
works for you.

> I also need to be able to transport the bike to the trails on the back
> of a Mustang. I've seen bike racks on the Internet that claim to do
> this without having to damage the car. Also have seen a type that
> requires a trailer hitch. I could go that way too I suppose. I'd have
> to get a hitch.

There are plenty of trunk racks which won't damage the paint; just make
sure it's padded with foam, and the hooks are rubber-coated. I have a
4-bike Rhode Gear trunk rack which I like, but there are tons of other
good brands as well.

newsgroups if possible).

Mort Guffman
November 28th 05, 09:07 PM
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:22:24 -0500, David Kerber
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> I have done a lot of reading. I'm not sure if I need a road bike or a
>> comfort bike. I think I need something in between. I can't handle
>> another little seat like my 10 speed has however.
>
>How about a more comfortable road bike, like a Specialized Sequoiah?
>Suspension seatpost, somewhat wider tires, carbon fork. However, no
>matter what bike you get, allow for the chance that you might need to
>get a different saddle; *no* saddle is comfortable for everybody.
>
>Make sure you test ride several different models and sizes to see what
>works for you.
>

>> I also need to be able to transport the bike to the trails on the back
>> of a Mustang. I've seen bike racks on the Internet that claim to do
>> this without having to damage the car. Also have seen a type that
>> requires a trailer hitch. I could go that way too I suppose. I'd have
>> to get a hitch.
>
>There are plenty of trunk racks which won't damage the paint; just make
>sure it's padded with foam, and the hooks are rubber-coated. I have a
>4-bike Rhode Gear trunk rack which I like, but there are tons of other
>good brands as well.

Thanks for the info. I checked out a Sequoya today. It's $700. They
have a sturdy looking trunk rack for $120 also (Saris Bones 2).

David Kerber
November 28th 05, 09:46 PM
In article >,
says...

> Thanks for the info. I checked out a Sequoya today. It's $700. They

That bike made the finals when I was deciding what bike to buy three
years ago. I ended up going with a Fuji Touring, but was seriously
tempted by the Sequoiah. Nice mid-range bike, and there are a lot of
them in my local bike club.

> have a sturdy looking trunk rack for $120 also (Saris Bones 2).

That's a good one as well.

newsgroups if possible).

Mort Guffman
December 1st 05, 10:22 PM
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:46:58 -0500, David Kerber
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> Thanks for the info. I checked out a Sequoya today. It's $700. They
>
>That bike made the finals when I was deciding what bike to buy three
>years ago. I ended up going with a Fuji Touring, but was seriously
>tempted by the Sequoiah. Nice mid-range bike, and there are a lot of
>them in my local bike club.
>

>> have a sturdy looking trunk rack for $120 also (Saris Bones 2).
>
>That's a good one as well.

Well I ordered a Sequoia Elite today. Thanks for your help!

Mort

December 2nd 05, 04:10 PM
Mort Guffman wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:46:58 -0500, David Kerber
> > wrote:
>

> Well I ordered a Sequoia Elite today. Thanks for your help!
>
> Mort

You won't regret it. It's an amazing bike--comfortable yet nimble and
responsive to ride, and light! And the carbon seat stays and 105
components are worth the upgrade from the basic Sequoia.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home