PDA

View Full Version : Rim Tape v. Elec Tape

trailguy
November 28th 05, 10:34 PM
I used ELECTRICAL TAPE in place of real rim tape on my Coker. Also used
a WTB 29-inch tube. Both worked well for over a year with no flats.
But yesterday, flat as a pancake.

Pulling it apart I found curious parallel rust colored lines on the
inside of the tube and could find no obvious puncture. Under water I
located the hole, very tiny, right on one of the rust colored lines. I
inspected further and found the rusty lines have a scratchy feeling
residue, kindof abrasive and sharp. Hmm.

Bike shop friend concurred that rusty lines could be a combo of the
ELEC TAPE ADHESIVE AND RUST, and that the tiny hole might be a result
of the abrasive deposits.

Anyone have this experience?

Maybe this is ANOTHER REASON NOT TO USE ELECTRICAL TAPE.

USE RIM TAPE MADE FOR THE JOB.

What do you think?

--
trailguy
trailguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8788

Loosemoose
November 28th 05, 10:46 PM
I don't know the chemical constituents of electrical tape adhesive, and
whether it might have reacted somehow with the rim you were using, or
if the adhesive edges of the tape just picked up particles that built
up into abrasive, saw-like lines. I've used electrical tape as an
addition to rim tape on my LM rim since I didn't have super-wide tape
like you can get now.

What rim were you using, the original or an airfoil? I'd assume not an
airfoil, as that is aluminium, and will not rust into sharp particles
like you describe.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Officially a  & ~ expert.

_no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

trailguy
November 29th 05, 12:34 AM
My Coker is stock with steel rim. Haven't determined yet if the rim is
the source of the rust. The other possibility might be that the wire
bead on the Coker tire could be exposed and rusting.

Loose, you hit it just right with your term, "saw-like lines."

I'll check it out further and report if I can determine what's
happened.

By the way, John Childs, you've recommended many times not to use
electrical tape. Guess I shoulda listened.

--
trailguy
trailguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8788

mango
November 29th 05, 12:47 AM
How bout trying Duct Tape now?

--
mango

*Neener, neener, neener. *-harper
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

john_childs
November 29th 05, 12:55 AM
trailguy wrote:
> By the way, John Childs, you've recommended many times not to use
> electrical tape. Guess I shoulda listened.

Not many times. I did get curious enough to try it recently in my
Airfoil rim and found that it didn't stay put or in place well enough
for my liking. I put it on and took it off the same day.

The rust could be from the rim. The bead hook on the rim kind of curls
around and is an area that condensation could get to and cause rust in
the rim. If the rust is from the rim then the type of rim tape isn't
going to make much of a difference.

I'm also a fan of using talc baby powder or climbing chalk to coat the
inside of the tire and the tube. That keeps the tube from sticking to
the inside of the tire and seems to help reduce some types of flats due
to pinching.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Catboy
November 29th 05, 02:28 AM
Spend the $1-$3 on real rim tape or a rim strip at your LBS. It's just
better that way.

--
Catboy

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)
Gallery Updated: 11/11/05

:)*'UPD T-Shirts ON SALE NOW!!! (SOLD OUT FOR NOW! IF
YOU DIDN'T BUY ONE, YOU SUCK!)'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44635)*:)

jagur
November 29th 05, 08:44 AM
mango wrote:
> How bout trying Duct Tape now?

duct tape disingrates into a gooey mess akin to ectoplasm...stay away
from that idea.

--
jagur

What might Sinter Klaas_Bil you for this year?
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

markf
November 29th 05, 09:13 AM
good strong packing tape has worked for me in the past.

--
markf

stuck in iowa and unemployed.
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

mango
November 29th 05, 01:39 PM
jagur wrote:
> duct tape disingrates into a gooey mess akin to ectoplasm...stay away
> from that idea.

Mmmm, thanks Egon.;)

--
mango

*Neener, neener, neener. *-harper
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

Mikefule
November 29th 05, 07:45 PM
I used a length of Coker rim tape to insulate a 240V wire exposed during
electrical work at my house. However, the wire poked through that
little hole for the valve and electrocuted the postman, tripping the
switch and plunging the entire street into darkness in the middle of
East Enders.

It seems that each tape may have a distinct purpose for which it is
optimised.:rolleyes:

--
Mikefule

Did you hear about the computer programmer conspiracy theorist who put
10 and 10 together and made 101?

johnhimsworth
November 30th 05, 12:16 AM
Mikefule wrote:
> in the middle of East Enders.

Rim tape - improving the quality of broadcasting since 2005.

--
johnhimsworth

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and then
beat you with experience.
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

trailguy
December 2nd 05, 05:10 AM
Coker rim inside surface was rusting significantly, which is wierd
because I don't ever recall getting the wheel wet. My guess is
condensation like JC mentioned. I believe the rust did cause my flat,
based on the size and location of the puncture.

After inspection, I don't think the electrical tape contributed to any
problem, including rust and puncture. It wasn't even a gooey mess.

Nevertheless, I removed the rubber rim strip and elec tape. Brushed
out as much rust as I could. Got the rim trued by the LBS, had them
use rim tape this time, and even had the LBS put it all back together
including a new 29-inch tube. Cost me a few bucks but they did a great
job.

I'm back happily rolling on my Coker. But I am still excited for my
LiveWire 36, that is if it ever arrives.

--
trailguy
trailguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8788

Google