PDA

View Full Version : Relative newcomer to cycling seeking recommendations

Some Guy in Jersey
November 30th 05, 10:24 PM
Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
Thanks in advance!

Ken M
November 30th 05, 10:42 PM
"Some Guy in Jersey" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
> get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
> about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
> to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
> and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
> under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
> what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
> Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
> from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
> much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
> that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
> going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
> was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
> I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
> Thanks in advance!

Well I just bought a Raleigh hybrid about 2 months ago. And it's a great
bike. It was a bit more than the $300 you spoke of, but at $460 it has a
better drivetrain, brakes, wheels and tires. I rode it about 1200 miles on a
"tour" of Florida. With only 1 mechanical problem the whole month and a half
I was on my trip.

Here is the page to see it:
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=7&itemid=228&va=0

I can't say enough good things about it.

Ken

Chris Zacho The Wheelman
November 30th 05, 11:10 PM
Actually, the fact that you consider yourself a novice and us experts
makes this the perfect forum for you to be in. You don't learn much
talking to idiots, after all. §:-3)>

As for recommendations, I would say Trek and Giant are the better bets
for what you're looking for. Back in the good 'ol days I would have said
Schwinn too, but, alas, Schwinn is no longer Schwinn, if you know what I
mean

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Justa Lurker
December 1st 05, 01:22 AM
Some Guy in Jersey wrote:
> Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
> get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
> about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
> to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
> and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
> under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
> what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
> Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
> from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
> much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
> that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
> going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
> was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
> I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
> Thanks in advance!

IMHO, the Trek 7200 would definitely be worthy of your consideration. I
have one & really enjoy riding it (2500+ miles so far since I bought it
new in late fall of 2003).....not sure of the current price but I'm
nearly certain it is basically around $300 or so.

Dave Mayer
December 1st 05, 04:24 AM
"Some Guy in Jersey" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
> get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
> about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
> to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
> and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
> under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
> what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
> Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
> from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
> much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
> that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
> going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
> was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
> I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
> Thanks in advance!

It is good that you are leaning towards light weight. If you have ever
ridden a decent road bike, you will get tired real quick of needlessly
lugging around a 30+ pound bike. I personally prefer a converted road bike
for city riding because of the faster 700c wheels, the light weight, the
better line of sight and faster braking. Flat handlebars indeed give a more
upright position, but drop (racing bars) are more comfortable on the hands
for long rides. There is a greater variety of hand positions with race
bars.

Whatever you do, do not get a bike with a suspension seatpost, front shocks,
or the 1 foot-wide "matron seat". The first two just add several pounds of
needless weight and energy-sapping suspension bob. The latter will feel
comfortable for the first 10 minutes, but will rub your thighs raw during a
longer ride. Same for gel seat covers. If you got the right saddle to
start with, you do not need this.

Again on suspension: if you are riding 30km/hr down 30 percent grades over
head-sized rocks, then you need suspension. If you are riding on city
streets or gravel paths, then 1.5" slick tires provide more than enough
cushoning. Knobby tires: are you regularly riding through loose gravel and
mud? If not, slicks are much faster and feature higher traction on smooth
surfaces.

My recommendation: covert a 80's vintage mid to high-end Japanese touring or
road bike to your needs. I see these regularly at yard sales for less than
$50.

Robert Uhl
December 1st 05, 05:59 AM
"Dave Mayer" > writes:

> Again on suspension: if you are riding 30km/hr down 30 percent grades
> over head-sized rocks, then you need suspension. If you are riding on
> city streets or gravel paths, then 1.5" slick tires provide more than
> enough cushoning.

Not _quite_ true. My route home from work crosses several asphalt
seams. Each one I hit is physically painful to my head and crotch (the
crotch from the shock, and the brain from shaking around in my skull),
and I have both front & seat suspensions! I can't imagine how bad it'd
be without 'em.

Visually they don't appear to be that bad, but...

Who does not love wine, women, and song,
Remains a fool his whole life long.
--Johann Heinrich Voss

Michael Warner
December 1st 05, 06:49 AM
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:59:56 -0700, Robert Uhl wrote:

> Not _quite_ true. My route home from work crosses several asphalt
> seams. Each one I hit is physically painful to my head and crotch (the
> crotch from the shock, and the brain from shaking around in my skull),
> and I have both front & seat suspensions! I can't imagine how bad it'd
> be without 'em.

Since you know where the bumps are, why is there any weight on your
arse when you cross them? Needing suspension on the road is nothing
but poor technique - you should only feel the shock in your hands and
feet, which isn't painful at all.

catzz66
December 1st 05, 06:03 PM
Dave Mayer wrote:

> It is good that you are leaning towards light weight. If you have ever
> ridden a decent road bike, you will get tired real quick of needlessly
> lugging around a 30+ pound bike. I personally prefer a converted road bike
> for city riding because of the faster 700c wheels, the light weight, the
> better line of sight and faster braking. Flat handlebars indeed give a more
> upright position, but drop (racing bars) are more comfortable on the hands
> for long rides. There is a greater variety of hand positions with race
> bars.

Another difference for me is that I have a greater feeling of control on
drop bars versus flat bars. Now that I am used to my road bike, I would
not go back to a mountain bike or anything in between. My routes are on
average urban streets and I ride on narrow tires. Road shock is not a
problem if you watch where you are going and learn a little technique.

dgk
December 1st 05, 08:48 PM
On 30 Nov 2005 14:24:55 -0800, "Some Guy in Jersey"
> wrote:

>Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
>get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
>about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
>to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
>and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
>under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
>what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
>Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
>from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
>much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
>that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
>going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
>was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
>I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
>Thanks in advance!

I have the Trek 7100, which is cheaper (and not quite as good) as the
7200 Justa mentioned. I put around 4000 miles on it last year and it
serves me fine as a commuter bike in New York City. I replaced the
tires with better ones that don't get flats easily and just replaced
the rear wheel with a better one because I've broken a few spokes.

If the 7200 has the better wheel and tires I'd get it. If not,the 7300
does.

ReptilesBlade
December 1st 05, 10:06 PM
"Some Guy in Jersey" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
> get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
> about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
> to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
> and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
> under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
> what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
> Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
> from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
> much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
> that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
> going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
> was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
> I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
> Thanks in advance!

Look at the Trek 7X00 or 7X00 FX line, they are most likly what you want.

http://www.usenet.com

Some Guy in Jersey
December 1st 05, 10:16 PM
Thanks to everyone who provided feedback; I appreciate it. I seem to be
getting lots of recommendations to check out Trek bikes. I'm guessing
they provide the best bang for the buck for someone like me who can't
shell out a huge sum of money for a new bike but still wants something
more durable and enjoyable to ride then what you'd find in places like
K-Mart, Target, and the like. The cheapest Trek hybrid seems to be the
7000 - how does it differ from the more expensive models like the 7100,
7200, etc?

Robert Uhl
December 1st 05, 11:17 PM
Michael Warner > writes:

>> Not _quite_ true. My route home from work crosses several asphalt
>> seams. Each one I hit is physically painful to my head and crotch
>> (the crotch from the shock, and the brain from shaking around in my
>> skull), and I have both front & seat suspensions! I can't imagine
>> how bad it'd be without 'em.
>
> Since you know where the bumps are, why is there any weight on your
> arse when you cross them? Needing suspension on the road is nothing
> but poor technique - you should only feel the shock in your hands and
> feet, which isn't painful at all.

My brain would still rattle around regardless, no?

French ships are like French women, Sharpe. Beautiful and fast, but
hopelessly manned. --Captain Chase in 'Sharpe's Trafalgar'

Ken M
December 1st 05, 11:17 PM
"Some Guy in Jersey" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks to everyone who provided feedback; I appreciate it. I seem to be
> getting lots of recommendations to check out Trek bikes. I'm guessing
> they provide the best bang for the buck for someone like me who can't
> shell out a huge sum of money for a new bike but still wants something
> more durable and enjoyable to ride then what you'd find in places like
> K-Mart, Target, and the like. The cheapest Trek hybrid seems to be the
> 7000 - how does it differ from the more expensive models like the 7100,
> 7200, etc?

While I was shopping for a bike I also started by looking at the treks. They
are good bikes, no doubt about that. They main difference in the model
numbers is the drive train and the wheels. For every increase in model
number you step up in the quality of both the derailers and the wheels. The
FX line is the best of the Trek hybrids. It is most like a road bike while
still being considers a hybrid. But the cost will probably be higher than
the $300 range. I do recommend being a pain for the local bike shop. I was
in there about 4 times before I decided on a bike. And make sure they let
you take it for a ride before you buy it.

Ken

Ryan Cousineau
December 2nd 05, 06:19 AM
In article >,
Robert Uhl > wrote:

> Michael Warner > writes:
> >
> >> Not _quite_ true. My route home from work crosses several asphalt
> >> seams. Each one I hit is physically painful to my head and crotch
> >> (the crotch from the shock, and the brain from shaking around in my
> >> skull), and I have both front & seat suspensions! I can't imagine
> >> how bad it'd be without 'em.
> >
> > Since you know where the bumps are, why is there any weight on your
> > arse when you cross them? Needing suspension on the road is nothing
> > but poor technique - you should only feel the shock in your hands and
> > feet, which isn't painful at all.
>
> My brain would still rattle around regardless, no?

No. The technique needed here is called "posting," which is a fancy term
derived from horse-riding for standing on the pedals and getting your
weight off the seat.

Your legs and arms act as a natural suspension and absorb the shock with
ease. This is a basic cycling skill, and while it might not be
absolutely necessary in riding a bicycle, it is probably the first
non-necessary new skill a rider usually learns. It's easy.

My standard commute route includes a drop of a curb. I manage this
maneuver (with some care) on a road bike with a full saddlebag (~15
lbs.) and 23 mm tires. I assure you my brain does not rattle, and my
tires do not pinch-flat, either.

Ryan Cousineau
December 2nd 05, 06:29 AM
In article <LVujf.1601$Gd6.1026@pd7tw3no>,
"Dave Mayer" > wrote:

> "Some Guy in Jersey" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hi everybody. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for me, since I
> > get the impression that people here are generally very knowledgeable
> > about bikes, which doesn't apply in my case at all to be frank. I used
> > to ride many years ago, and am looking to return to it to lose weight
> > and have fun doing it. I'm leaning towards hybrid/comfort bikes for
> > under or just over 300 dollars (lifestyles of the poor and infamous,
> > what can I say). I've checked out websites by manufacturers such as
> > Trek, GT, Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, Jamis, and a few others but aside
> > from admiring the pictures and comparing the pricetags I don't have
> > much of anything concrete to go by. I'm basically looking for something
> > that combines light weight with a comfortable riding position. I'll be
> > going to one or more bike shops early next year in all likelihood but
> > was wondering if anybody out there owns any bikes that fit the criteria
> > I've mentioned and what their experiences have been with those bikes.
> > Thanks in advance!
> >

> It is good that you are leaning towards light weight. If you have ever
> ridden a decent road bike, you will get tired real quick of needlessly
> lugging around a 30+ pound bike. I personally prefer a converted road bike
> for city riding because of the faster 700c wheels, the light weight, the
> better line of sight and faster braking. Flat handlebars indeed give a more
> upright position, but drop (racing bars) are more comfortable on the hands
> for long rides. There is a greater variety of hand positions with race
> bars.

> My recommendation: covert a 80's vintage mid to high-end Japanese touring or
> road bike to your needs. I see these regularly at yard sales for less than
> $50.

I am convinced that the new hotness will be using cyclocross levers to
convert road bikes to fast "city bikes."

The trick here is that there's these cable-interrupting levers, catching
on fast in cyclocross, that look and act like a set of flat-bar brake
levers on the bar-tops of a drop bar. Since they keep the function of
the standard levers, and they give you the functional advantage of a
flat bar (quick access to the brakes) in the bar-top position, it's the
best of both worlds.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-levers-drop.html#cross

The Tektro levers shown there are cheap and weigh less than my back fat.
And I don't have that much back fat.

Paul Turner
December 2nd 05, 06:41 AM
Ken M wrote, in part:

> The FX line is the best of the Trek hybrids. It is most like a road
> bike while still being considers a hybrid. But the cost will probably
> be higher than the $300 range.

It's a good time to buy 2005 models. A big store here in Chicago is
selling the '05 7300 FX for $315, and it looks like a nice bike. I've
had a couple of lower-end Trek hybrids (no suspension fork) over the
years and they were always satisfactory. Thieves liked them, anyway.

--
Paul Turner

Ken M
December 2nd 05, 11:33 AM
"Paul Turner" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ken M wrote, in part:
>
>> The FX line is the best of the Trek hybrids. It is most like a road
>> bike while still being considers a hybrid. But the cost will probably
>> be higher than the $300 range.
>
> It's a good time to buy 2005 models. A big store here in Chicago is
> selling the '05 7300 FX for $315, and it looks like a nice bike. I've
> had a couple of lower-end Trek hybrids (no suspension fork) over the
> years and they were always satisfactory. Thieves liked them, anyway.
>
> --
> Paul Turner

WOW that might be a good deal. I looked at an FX and the price was like $550
or close to it. I think it was the 7500FX which I think is the tip-top model
of the line.

Ken

Robert Uhl
December 2nd 05, 06:11 PM
Ryan Cousineau > writes:

> No. The technique needed here is called "posting," which is a fancy
> term derived from horse-riding for standing on the pedals and getting
> your weight off the seat.
>
> Your legs and arms act as a natural suspension and absorb the shock with
> ease. This is a basic cycling skill, and while it might not be
> absolutely necessary in riding a bicycle, it is probably the first
> non-necessary new skill a rider usually learns. It's easy.

Oh, I do that when dropping off of kerbs or when going downhill--but
this particular section is an uphill; if I keep spinning I can keep a
good speed, but if I stop then I slow down way too much. I suppose I
should learn how to pedal while standing off the seat a bit...

As a client for MS Exchange, MS Outlook is quite good. As an Internet
e-mail client [e.g, POP3/IMAP], it's roughly equivalent to strapping a
few pounds of plastique to your gonads and painting a day-glo orange
bulls-eye on your knickers. -- Morely Dotes in nan-ae

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home