PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Newsgroup Feeds

lowkey
December 2nd 05, 03:08 PM
Can anyone suggest any good non-Google [I said _good_] source for
accessing newsgroups? My ISP is discontinuing carrying them.

Two things I am looking for is a 'Hide read messages' feature and an
integral spellchecker.

Any ideas?

Dave Larrington
December 2nd 05, 03:16 PM
In article >, lowkey
) wrote:
> Can anyone suggest any good non-Google [I said _good_] source for
> accessing newsgroups? My ISP is discontinuing carrying them.
>
> Two things I am looking for is a 'Hide read messages' feature and an
> integral spellchecker.
>
> Any ideas?

news.individual.net costs but pennies and is fast and reliable. Assuming
it's Windows your're using, I have just switched to using Gravity as a
newsreader (from Outhouse Excess), which has the features you describe,
though the spelling checker needs to be educated from scratch rather
than using any previously-populated Microsith dictionary. It /is/ free,
though.

HTH

Me, I wanna be an anglepoise lamp, yeah!

Mark
December 2nd 05, 06:31 PM
lowkey wrote:
> Can anyone suggest any good non-Google [I said _good_] source for
> accessing newsgroups? My ISP is discontinuing carrying them.
>
> Two things I am looking for is a 'Hide read messages' feature and an
> integral spellchecker.
>
> Any ideas?

Thunderbird has the features that your are looking for in a news client.
http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

There are also many extensions available to enhance Thunderbird
https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=thunderbird

Gravity was, in its day a good newsreader but has not seen development
in almost 2 years and has a couple of very annoying bugs with thread
handling that may never get fixed.

BTW... I have no interest in either product, it is only my 2 pennies
worth of opnion.

--
Regards,
Mark

Diablo Scott
December 2nd 05, 07:17 PM
Mark wrote:

> Thunderbird has the features that your are looking for in a news client.
> http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
>
> There are also many extensions available to enhance Thunderbird
> https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=thunderbird

Thunderbird's not bad as a client, (I wish it had better filters) but
Lowkey needs a news server as well. Thunderbird recommends
free.teranews.com which is OK but pukes itself and gets constipated more
than I'd like. Maybe the pay version is better.

Ken m
December 2nd 05, 07:32 PM
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 19:17:59 +0000, Diablo Scott
> wrote:

>Mark wrote:
>

>> Thunderbird has the features that your are looking for in a news client.
>> http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
>>
>> There are also many extensions available to enhance Thunderbird
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=thunderbird
>
>Thunderbird's not bad as a client, (I wish it had better filters) but
>Lowkey needs a news server as well. Thunderbird recommends
>free.teranews.com which is OK but pukes itself and gets constipated more
>than I'd like. Maybe the pay version is better.

No the pay service at teranews is just as bad as the free version.
You'd be better off using the google service.

Ken

Paul Turner
December 2nd 05, 08:40 PM
> Can anyone suggest any good non-Google [I said _good_] source for
> accessing newsgroups? My ISP is discontinuing carrying them.
>
> Two things I am looking for is a 'Hide read messages' feature and an
> integral spellchecker.

I have been happy with Supernews as a news feed. It has a $4.95 per month
plan for text groups only. I haven't priced others in a few years so I don't
know if that's still competitive. The features of the newsreader should be
independent of the news feed.

--
Paul Turner

Matt O'Toole
December 2nd 05, 09:35 PM
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:16:16 +0000, Dave Larrington wrote:

> In article >, lowkey
> ) wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest any good non-Google [I said _good_] source for
>> accessing newsgroups? My ISP is discontinuing carrying them.
>>
>> Two things I am looking for is a 'Hide read messages' feature and an
>> integral spellchecker.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> news.individual.net costs but pennies and is fast and reliable. Assuming
> it's Windows your're using, I have just switched to using Gravity as a
> newsreader (from Outhouse Excess), which has the features you describe,
> though the spelling checker needs to be educated from scratch rather
> than using any previously-populated Microsith dictionary. It /is/ free,
> though.

I'll put in another good word for news.individual.net.

Also, Outlook Express does what you want, but for me the text editor
stinks. It has other problems too, but most people like it just
fine, and it does have a great user interface.

Gravity and Thunderbird are worth a try too, as is Free Agent (all for
Windows, but Thunderbird runs everywhere).

Matt O.

Zoot Katz
December 2nd 05, 10:29 PM
On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 10:08:57 -0500, "lowkey" >
wrote:

>Can anyone suggest any good non-Google [I said _good_] source for
>accessing newsgroups? My ISP is discontinuing carrying them.

Rogers is dumping news? Oh well, they were always assholes anyway.
If they've still got an NNTP server, see if they carry the group:
<alt.free.newsservers>, or Google it. It's usually got good,
up-to-date information. There are still lots of open news servers it's
just that many of them don't allow posting.

> Two things I am looking for is a 'Hide read messages' feature and an
>integral spellchecker.
>
> Any ideas?

Those features are generally part of the client software.
--
zk

Rich Clark
December 2nd 05, 11:45 PM
"lowkey" > wrote in message
> Can anyone suggest any good non-Google [I said _good_] source for
> accessing newsgroups? My ISP is discontinuing carrying them.
>
> Two things I am looking for is a 'Hide read messages' feature and an
> integral spellchecker.

Just to clarify: you're using Outlook Express now, which provides your
filters, spellchecker, etc. You can continue to use it with whatever NNTP
news server you end up accessing.

RichC

maxo
December 3rd 05, 12:22 AM
Pan is a fantastic newsreader with super filter and plonking support.
Don't know if it does spellcheck, but it does everything else.

Can be a bit resource intensive.

Worth a shot, as it's software libre:

http://pan.rebelbase.com/

lowkey
December 5th 05, 02:02 PM
Thanx all for the suggestions. Mulling it over.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home