PDA

View Full Version : Bikeshow - Sheldown Brown

John Hearns
December 2nd 05, 03:08 PM
How can we have missed it?

http://www.bikeshow.blogspot.com/
The Bikeshow on Nov 21st featured Sheldown Brown.
Maybe we were spared this as a mercy, as u.r.c. would have suffered
a collective fit of hyperventilation.

Available for download or streaming as an MP3, ie click on the link
above and scroll down to 21st Nov

sothach
December 2nd 05, 03:12 PM
John Hearns wrote:
> How can we have missed it?
>
> http://www.bikeshow.blogspot.com/
> The Bikeshow on Nov 21st featured Sheldown Brown.
> Maybe we were spared this as a mercy, as u.r.c. would have suffered
> a collective fit of hyperventilation.

Sheldon Brown is God.

John Hearns
December 2nd 05, 03:24 PM
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 07:12:36 -0800, sothach wrote:

>> The Bikeshow on Nov 21st featured Sheldown Brown. Maybe we were spared
>> this as a mercy, as u.r.c. would have suffered a collective fit of
>> hyperventilation.
>
> Sheldon Brown is God.
The voice of God is available for download. My Friday has been brightened
considerably.

December 2nd 05, 03:37 PM
> > Sheldon Brown is God.

It renewed my irritation at having my raleigh 3speed pinched.
I never really appreciated it until it was gone.
TerryJ

POHB
December 2nd 05, 03:57 PM
Err, isn't it just a mash-up of His podcast from Sept 25th with an
irritating repetition of the introductory sentence.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/podcasts/
Cheap "radio" or what?

Bryan
December 2nd 05, 04:26 PM
POHB Wrote:
> Err, isn't it just a mash-up of His podcast from Sept 25th with an
> irritating repetition of the introductory sentence.
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/podcasts/
> Cheap "radio" or what?

But the great Sheldon is an Oysterband fan! He's a cycling god and he
knows god music. I must got to Harris Cyclery next time I'm over in
Boston.

Bryan

--
Bryan

Tony Raven
December 2nd 05, 05:05 PM
Bryan wrote:

> But the great Sheldon is an Oysterband fan! He's a cycling god and he
> knows god music. I must got to Harris Cyclery next time I'm over in
> Boston.

Apart from Sheldon, its a bit of a let-down. You expect an Aladdin's
cave with all sorts of esoteric bicycle stuff and unusual bicycles in
line with the website. But its quite ordinary really with fairly
ordinary bikes (sorry Sheldon if you are reading)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

wafflycat
December 2nd 05, 06:09 PM
"John Hearns" > wrote in message
> How can we have missed it?
>
> http://www.bikeshow.blogspot.com/
> The Bikeshow on Nov 21st featured Sheldown Brown.
> Maybe we were spared this as a mercy, as u.r.c. would have suffered
> a collective fit of hyperventilation.
>
> Available for download or streaming as an MP3, ie click on the link
> above and scroll down to 21st Nov

Man, that Sheldon's a mean soul singer.... "funky driver on the funky bus!"

Oh... that's not Sheldon..

Here's me thinking he was so multi-talented, I was expecting "Sheldown Soul
Man: bicycle - the musical". I was fully expecting Sheldon strutting his
funky stuff in that h*lm*t of his...

Yo dude! Hit me with your three-speed!

Cheers, helen s

Chris Gerhard
December 2nd 05, 06:47 PM
Tony Raven wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
>
>> But the great Sheldon is an Oysterband fan! He's a cycling god and he
>> knows god music. I must got to Harris Cyclery next time I'm over in
>> Boston.
>>

> Apart from Sheldon, its a bit of a let-down. You expect an Aladdin's
> cave with all sorts of esoteric bicycle stuff and unusual bicycles in
> line with the website. But its quite ordinary really with fairly
> ordinary bikes (sorry Sheldon if you are reading)

It is a bike shop and it has Sheldon, how can that be a let down? Is
the shop like Halfords?

--chris

Just zis Guy, you know?
December 2nd 05, 07:12 PM
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:24:48 +0000, John Hearns >
said in >:

>The voice of God is available for download. My Friday has been brightened
>considerably.

My Friday is in the bike shed, Peter won't go out on it because it's
too cold in the mornings at present.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Danny Colyer
December 2nd 05, 07:21 PM
POHB wrote:
> Cheap "radio" or what?

I feel this is a good time to be slightly naughty and quote a private
e-mail that I received a while ago from the show's presenter:

"Also I do the show completely in my spare time, and unpaid, so it's
just what i can manage between when I have to be earning money."

Before reading that, it had never occurred to me that it was an amateur
production. Given that knowledge, being cheap on occasion seems
entirely reasonable.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

Tony Raven
December 2nd 05, 09:24 PM
Chris Gerhard wrote:
> Is the shop like Halfords?

No its just an ordinary bike shop with ordinary bikes. Whereas you
would expect it to be an Aladdin's Cave full of rare and interesting
cycling bikes and bits a pieces.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Bertie Wiggins
December 4th 05, 09:15 PM
On 2 Dec 2005 07:12:36 -0800, "sothach" >
wrote:

>John Hearns wrote:
>> How can we have missed it?
>>
>> http://www.bikeshow.blogspot.com/
>> The Bikeshow on Nov 21st featured Sheldown Brown.
>> Maybe we were spared this as a mercy, as u.r.c. would have suffered
>> a collective fit of hyperventilation.
>
>Sheldon Brown is God.

When was he elevated from his previous position as The Oracle?

Tim Hall
December 5th 05, 02:15 PM
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:24:40 +0000, Tony Raven >
wrote:

>Chris Gerhard wrote:
>> Is the shop like Halfords?
>>

>No its just an ordinary bike shop with ordinary bikes. Whereas you
>would expect it to be an Aladdin's Cave full of rare and interesting
>cycling bikes and bits a pieces.

You know that bit in Casablanca, where the head of Deutsche Bank gets
refused entry to the gaming room at the back of Rick's Bar, while
Peter Lorre wanders straight in? Sheldon's got a room like that. Need
to know basis, obviously.

Tim

dkahn400
December 5th 05, 04:02 PM
Tim Hall wrote:

> You know that bit in Casablanca, where the head of Deutsche Bank gets
> refused entry to the gaming room at the back of Rick's Bar, while
> Peter Lorre wanders straight in? Sheldon's got a room like that. Need
> to know basis, obviously.

Yes, that's exactly what it must be like.

--
Dave...

dkahn400
December 5th 05, 04:03 PM
Tony Raven wrote:

> Chris Gerhard wrote:
> > Is the shop like Halfords?
>
> No its just an ordinary bike shop with ordinary bikes. Whereas you
> would expect it to be an Aladdin's Cave full of rare and interesting
> cycling bikes and bits a pieces.

In most bike shops the workshop and the stock-room are more interesting
than the showroom, but how often do you get to see them?

--
Dave...

dkahn400
December 5th 05, 04:06 PM
wafflycat wrote:

> Here's me thinking he was so multi-talented, I was expecting "Sheldown Soul
> Man: bicycle - the musical". I was fully expecting Sheldon strutting his
> funky stuff in that h*lm*t of his...
>
> Yo dude! Hit me with your three-speed!

I think he's more of a Gilbert and Sullivan man.

--
Dave...

David Martin
December 5th 05, 04:10 PM
dkahn400 wrote:
> In most bike shops the workshop and the stock-room are more interesting
> than the showroom, but how often do you get to see them?

one of the local-ish LBS is basically an open plan workshop with a few
display stands for bikes. I was after an obscure part adn they had used
up all of theirs, but cut me one off a junk bike out the back for
nowt..

...d

Helen Deborah Vecht
December 5th 05, 04:35 PM
"dkahn400" >typed

> wafflycat wrote:

> > Here's me thinking he was so multi-talented, I was expecting
> > "Sheldown Soul
> > Man: bicycle - the musical". I was fully expecting Sheldon strutting his
> > funky stuff in that h*lm*t of his...
> >
> > Yo dude! Hit me with your three-speed!

> I think he's more of a Gilbert and Sullivan man.

I *know* he is...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.