PDA

View Full Version : More lights

Bill
December 3rd 05, 03:42 PM
I was in my car last night, waiting to turn left at an unlit T junction.
Saw a very bright light approaching from the right and thought it was a
small motorcycle so waited. It happened to be a guy on a road bike, and he
wasn't hanging about, between 25-30 mph by my speedo through Bildeston in
Suffolk, and it was uphill!! I would love to know what lamp he had on the
front, I would get one for my roadbike.

Naqerj
December 3rd 05, 05:09 PM
Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>>I was in my car last night, waiting to turn left at an unlit T
>>junction. Saw a very bright light approaching from the right and
>>thought it was a small motorcycle so waited. It happened to be a guy
>>on a road bike, and he wasn't hanging about, between 25-30 mph by my
>>speedo through Bildeston in Suffolk, and it was uphill!! I would
>>love to know what lamp he had on the front, I would get one for my
>>roadbike.
>

> At a random guess, I'd put a bit of money on it being the owner of the
> bicycle shop in Bildeston :-).

....who was knocked off his bike last month. His father came along to
the recent Tricycle Association meeting in Bury St Edmunds. He told us
that his son had been knocked off his bike, a couple of days previously,
on the way home after the shop closed. "What happened? Was it a car?"
we asked. "No," he said, "a Tawny Owl."

--
Andrew

Ambrose Nankivell
December 3rd 05, 06:20 PM
Bill wrote:
> I was in my car last night, waiting to turn left at an unlit T
> junction. Saw a very bright light approaching from the right and
> thought it was a small motorcycle so waited. It happened to be a guy
> on a road bike, and he wasn't hanging about, between 25-30 mph by my
> speedo through Bildeston in Suffolk, and it was uphill!! I would
> love to know what lamp he had on the front, I would get one for my
> roadbike.

Really? I'd like to know what engine he had and where I could get one.

--
Ambrose

Alan Holmes
December 3rd 05, 06:21 PM
"Ambrose Nankivell" > wrote in message
> Bill wrote:
>> I was in my car last night, waiting to turn left at an unlit T
>> junction. Saw a very bright light approaching from the right and
>> thought it was a small motorcycle so waited. It happened to be a guy
>> on a road bike, and he wasn't hanging about, between 25-30 mph by my
>> speedo through Bildeston in Suffolk, and it was uphill!! I would
>> love to know what lamp he had on the front, I would get one for my
>> roadbike.
>
> Really? I'd like to know what engine he had and where I could get one.

Why do you think he had an engine?

Alan

> --
> Ambrose

Jon Senior
December 3rd 05, 06:41 PM
Alan Holmes wrote:
> Why do you think he had an engine?

Assuming (Dangerously) that the OPs speedo was reading correctly,
25-30mph uphill is a reasonable pace.

Jon

Ambrose Nankivell
December 3rd 05, 07:02 PM
Alan Holmes wrote:
> "Ambrose Nankivell" > wrote in message
>> Bill wrote:
>>> I was in my car last night, waiting to turn left at an unlit T
>>> junction. Saw a very bright light approaching from the right and
>>> thought it was a small motorcycle so waited. It happened to be a
>>> guy on a road bike, and he wasn't hanging about, between 25-30 mph
>>> by my speedo through Bildeston in Suffolk, and it was uphill!! I
>>> would love to know what lamp he had on the front, I would get one
>>> for my roadbike.
>>
>> Really? I'd like to know what engine he had and where I could get
>> one.
>
> Why do you think he had an engine?

I was referring to heart, thighs, calves and lungs. My own set isn't quite
up to that kind of job.

--
Ambrose

James Annan
December 3rd 05, 11:32 PM
Jon Senior wrote:

> Alan Holmes wrote:
>
>> Why do you think he had an engine?
>

> Assuming (Dangerously) that the OPs speedo was reading correctly,
> 25-30mph uphill is a reasonable pace.

I think Alan is looking for an opportunity to tell us (again) about the
time he broke several world records while trundling aroung the Cotswolds
on an old heavily-loaded 3-speed tourer...

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email

Alan Holmes
December 4th 05, 03:52 PM
"Ambrose Nankivell" > wrote in message
> Alan Holmes wrote:
>>>
>>> Really? I'd like to know what engine he had and where I could get
>>> one.
>>
>> Why do you think he had an engine?
>
> I was referring to heart, thighs, calves and lungs. My own set isn't quite
> up to that kind of job.

Neither are mine now, but at one time I could cycle at 25 mph uphill!

As long as it wasn't too steep!

Alan

> --
> Ambrose

Tony Raven
December 4th 05, 04:06 PM
Alan Holmes wrote:

> Neither are mine now, but at one time I could cycle at 25 mph uphill!

We've got hills like that in Cambridgeshire ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Pete Biggs
December 4th 05, 06:51 PM
Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>> I was in my car last night, waiting to turn left at an unlit T
>> junction. Saw a very bright light approaching from the right and
>> thought it was a small motorcycle so waited. It happened to be a guy
>> on a road bike, and he wasn't hanging about, between 25-30 mph by my
>> speedo through Bildeston in Suffolk, and it was uphill!! I would
>> love to know what lamp he had on the front, I would get one for my
>> roadbike.
>
> Really? I'd like to know what engine he had and where I could get one.

I have cycled up Stamford Hill in London at 30 mph. Okay, I had eaten
four Shredded Wheat and there was a lorry inches in front of me ;-)

Don't think I could do it now, and just as well.

~PB

Danny Colyer
December 4th 05, 09:11 PM
Pete Biggs wrote:
> I have cycled up Stamford Hill in London at 30 mph. Okay, I had eaten
> four Shredded Wheat and there was a lorry inches in front of me ;-)

After 4 Shredded Wheat presumably you had jet propulsion. That's cheating.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home