PDA

View Full Version : Older and Lazier

Scott
December 5th 05, 04:22 PM
Before this year, I was a committed <ahem> year-round commuter.
I'm now unexpectedly inclined to leave my bike at home and
take the bus. Biking to work is about 10 minutes, the
walk to bus stop/bus ride/walk to work is about 25 minutes
and the walk to work is about 30 minutes.

Indeed, I've noted the snow/ice clogged bike lanes (a
perennial problem here) and used that to validate -- or
rationalize -- my decision to keep my bike in the basement.

Part of the problem is a new-ish bike that I don't
want to expose to salt, even though I did so last
winter. But this winter has started out cold and
snowy, whereas last year the ground was bare through
Christmas.

So this morning, when it was 0 (F), rather than bundling
up and biking, I trudged to the bus stop, waited 3 minutes,
and got on the bus. That the side roads are all snow
packed (and the bike path too) made the decision even
easier.

But I think I'll move my bike from the basement to the
carport, just in case the bike bug re-bites. Maybe now
that I've admitted the problem, I can work through it. :)

As a side note, it is absolutely gorgeous outside.
Pristine sparkly white snow, brilliant blue sky,
diamonds in every field. What a day for a walk in the
woods.

Scott

Tim Nunes
December 5th 05, 04:58 PM
Riding in snow doesn't sound too safe.... especially if it's on the
side of the road. One slip and you could be road kill.

Here in Tennessee it hasn't gotten too cold, it hovers around freezing
and that's as cold as it's gotten so far. I still ride 5-7 minutes to
class from my apartment no problem. No snow yet either.

Paul Turner
December 5th 05, 05:12 PM
Scott wrote:

> Before this year, I was a committed <ahem> year-round commuter.
> I'm now unexpectedly inclined to leave my bike at home and
> take the bus. ...

I think its perfectly sensible to skip the ride under some weather
conditions, especially for older cyclists. I don't consider myself older and
lazier so much as older and more fragile. It's not that I actually think my
bones have become brittle, but I'm less willing to face the occasional fall
than I was when I was younger. The only times I've gone down hard in the
last ten years were hitting ice. I ride more now than I ever have before and
I'll commute by bicycle all winter, but I'll pick and choose my days. For
me, the worst days are the ones that hover near 32 F for part of the day and
you face riding home in the dark over roads where there has been an
opportunity for melting and refreezing. There's no need to feel guilty about
not cycling when it's unduly burdensome. It's supposed to be fun.

--
Paul Turner

mark
December 5th 05, 05:16 PM
"Scott" wrote ...

> Before this year, I was a committed <ahem> year-round commuter.
> I'm now unexpectedly inclined to leave my bike at home and
> take the bus. Biking to work is about 10 minutes, the
> walk to bus stop/bus ride/walk to work is about 25 minutes
> and the walk to work is about 30 minutes.

If the bus to work is 25 minutes and the walk to work is 30 minutes, walk
and maintain a little fitness for when you do get back on your bike.

If you don't want to expose your nice new bike to snow, slush, road salt,
etc., get a beater bike from the local thrift store and ride it to work.
Equip it with studded tires (Nokian makes really nice ones), fenders and
lights, and you'll be back into year round commuting.

Riding in snow does take more effort and requires better bike handling
skills, but it is a lot of fun.
--
mark

Scott
December 5th 05, 05:36 PM
mark wrote:
> "Scott" wrote ...
>
>>Before this year, I was a committed <ahem> year-round commuter.
>>I'm now unexpectedly inclined to leave my bike at home and
>>take the bus. Biking to work is about 10 minutes, the
>>walk to bus stop/bus ride/walk to work is about 25 minutes
>>and the walk to work is about 30 minutes.
>

> If the bus to work is 25 minutes and the walk to work is 30 minutes, walk
> and maintain a little fitness for when you do get back on your bike.
>
> If you don't want to expose your nice new bike to snow, slush, road salt,
> etc., get a beater bike from the local thrift store and ride it to work.
> Equip it with studded tires (Nokian makes really nice ones), fenders and
> lights, and you'll be back into year round commuting.
>
> Riding in snow does take more effort and requires better bike handling
> skills, but it is a lot of fun.

Well yes, that's why I've done these past 10 years.
Today would've been one of those days I'd ride without
my glasses 'cause my head would've been enshrouded in
scarves, balaclavas, hats. The bus passed a woman
riding and her face was bare and all I could think
was "Lady you are asking for frostbite." I hope
she didn't have far to go.

I think I expend more calories walking to the bus
stop and riding the bus than I do biking -- at least
in the morning; my short ride to work is mainly
downhill. This is nice, as I rarely break a sweat,
even in summer.

Scott, leisurely rider

Ken M
December 5th 05, 09:57 PM
Scott wrote:

> Before this year, I was a committed <ahem> year-round commuter.
> I'm now unexpectedly inclined to leave my bike at home and
> take the bus. Biking to work is about 10 minutes, the
> walk to bus stop/bus ride/walk to work is about 25 minutes
> and the walk to work is about 30 minutes.
>
> Indeed, I've noted the snow/ice clogged bike lanes (a
> perennial problem here) and used that to validate -- or
> rationalize -- my decision to keep my bike in the basement.
>
> Part of the problem is a new-ish bike that I don't
> want to expose to salt, even though I did so last
> winter. But this winter has started out cold and
> snowy, whereas last year the ground was bare through
> Christmas.
>
> So this morning, when it was 0 (F), rather than bundling
> up and biking, I trudged to the bus stop, waited 3 minutes,
> and got on the bus. That the side roads are all snow
> packed (and the bike path too) made the decision even
> easier.
>
> But I think I'll move my bike from the basement to the
> carport, just in case the bike bug re-bites. Maybe now
> that I've admitted the problem, I can work through it. :)
>
> As a side note, it is absolutely gorgeous outside.
> Pristine sparkly white snow, brilliant blue sky,
> diamonds in every field. What a day for a walk in the
> woods.
>

> Scott

Well IMO riding on streets that COULD have "black ice" in them could be
quite dangerous. I remember riding in the winter when I was a kid, and
remember crashing on more than few times. I live in FL now so not much
of a problem.

Ken

--
homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Fritz M
December 5th 05, 10:00 PM
Tim Nunes wrote:
> Riding in snow doesn't sound too safe.... especially if it's on the
> side of the road. One slip and you could be road kill.

Snow isn't bad at all. Ice is somewhat more hazardous but that's
overcome with technique. I've been doing it for almost 20 years now.
I'm not roadkill yet. I find that it's often easier going on two wheels
than two feet when I'm on ice.

Last year I used studded tires for the first time. That makes things
easier yet. Just watch for the slipping and sliding drivers and you'll
be just fine.

RFM

amakyonin
December 6th 05, 12:49 AM
There's nothing wrong with taking a break from the bike now and then. I
drove today because I didn't feel like riding. After a struggle trying
to undo my frozen locks on Friday I didn't feel like riding in and
carrying my heavy locks back after greasing them up over the weekend. I
will ride tomorrow and it will be a nice sub freezing (balmy mid-20s)
ride with nothing but black ice and hard pack to contend with. I like
to keep up the winter riding, even if at a reduced frequency because it
eliminates the recovery time in the spring. It has taken me over a
month to get back to my peak performance levels after an inactive
winter.

A beater with studded tires and fenders will put your mind at ease
about riding your good bike on icy roads. This will also make you more
receptive to going out for recreational rides in the snow and ice.

At 0F there shouldn't be any salty slush on the roads, which is what
really destroys bike parts. The rear derailleur takes the brunt of the
abuse here. After one season of slushy riding I had the pivots of a
rear derailleur so corroded that it would stick in the low gear at
maximum spring tension with the cable completely disconnected. I have
gotten one of the lizard skin grunge guards to see how much protection
that affords.

December 6th 05, 01:32 AM
Ken M wrote:
> Scott wrote:
> >
> > Before this year, I was a committed <ahem> year-round commuter.
> > I'm now unexpectedly inclined to leave my bike at home and
> > take the bus. Biking to work is about 10 minutes, the
> > walk to bus stop/bus ride/walk to work is about 25 minutes
> > and the walk to work is about 30 minutes.
> >
> > Indeed, I've noted the snow/ice clogged bike lanes (a
> > perennial problem here) and used that to validate -- or
> > rationalize -- my decision to keep my bike in the basement.
> >
> > Part of the problem is a new-ish bike that I don't
> > want to expose to salt, even though I did so last
> > winter. But this winter has started out cold and
> > snowy, whereas last year the ground was bare through
> > Christmas.
> >
> > So this morning, when it was 0 (F), rather than bundling
> > up and biking, I trudged to the bus stop, waited 3 minutes,
> > and got on the bus. That the side roads are all snow
> > packed (and the bike path too) made the decision even
> > easier.
> >
> > But I think I'll move my bike from the basement to the
> > carport, just in case the bike bug re-bites. Maybe now
> > that I've admitted the problem, I can work through it. :)
> >
> > As a side note, it is absolutely gorgeous outside.
> > Pristine sparkly white snow, brilliant blue sky,
> > diamonds in every field. What a day for a walk in the
> > woods.
> >

> > Scott
>
> Well IMO riding on streets that COULD have "black ice" in them could be
> quite dangerous. I remember riding in the winter when I was a kid, and
> remember crashing on more than few times. I live in FL now so not much
> of a problem.

Studded tires handle black ice very well. One still wants to be
careful but I ride in -20C weather and ice etc is not a serious problem
although one does want to be more cautious but then that is true for
walking or driving as well.
John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Zoot Katz
December 6th 05, 04:56 AM
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:57:35 -0500, Ken M > wrote:

>Well IMO riding on streets that COULD have "black ice" in them could be
>quite dangerous. I remember riding in the winter when I was a kid, and
>remember crashing on more than few times. I live in FL now so not much
>of a problem.

For all the snow we get in Vancouver, our meteorologist have to
consult experts from Saskatchewan before making a positive
identification. Last year it came hard and stayed for two weeks.

Thawing during the day and freezing again at night left the unsalted
roads treacherously rutted and humped with polished ice.

My typical set up for snow is a home made studded tire on the front
and a knobby tire on the rear. Last year, after a few body dabs, I put
a studded tire on the rear too. I also wore a pair of armoured shorts
which, had they been a helmet would undoubtedly have, "saved my life".
--
zk

Ken M
December 6th 05, 11:44 AM
wrote:
> Ken M wrote:
>
>>Scott wrote:
>>
>>>Before this year, I was a committed <ahem> year-round commuter.
>>>I'm now unexpectedly inclined to leave my bike at home and
>>>take the bus. Biking to work is about 10 minutes, the
>>>walk to bus stop/bus ride/walk to work is about 25 minutes
>>>and the walk to work is about 30 minutes.
>>>
>>>Indeed, I've noted the snow/ice clogged bike lanes (a
>>>perennial problem here) and used that to validate -- or
>>>rationalize -- my decision to keep my bike in the basement.
>>>
>>>Part of the problem is a new-ish bike that I don't
>>>want to expose to salt, even though I did so last
>>>winter. But this winter has started out cold and
>>>snowy, whereas last year the ground was bare through
>>>Christmas.
>>>
>>>So this morning, when it was 0 (F), rather than bundling
>>>up and biking, I trudged to the bus stop, waited 3 minutes,
>>>and got on the bus. That the side roads are all snow
>>>packed (and the bike path too) made the decision even
>>>easier.
>>>
>>>But I think I'll move my bike from the basement to the
>>>carport, just in case the bike bug re-bites. Maybe now
>>>that I've admitted the problem, I can work through it. :)
>>>
>>>As a side note, it is absolutely gorgeous outside.
>>>Pristine sparkly white snow, brilliant blue sky,
>>>diamonds in every field. What a day for a walk in the
>>>woods.
>>>

>>>Scott
>>
>>Well IMO riding on streets that COULD have "black ice" in them could be
>>quite dangerous. I remember riding in the winter when I was a kid, and
>>remember crashing on more than few times. I live in FL now so not much
>>of a problem.
>

> Studded tires handle black ice very well. One still wants to be
> careful but I ride in -20C weather and ice etc is not a serious problem
> although one does want to be more cautious but then that is true for
> walking or driving as well.
> John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Well I guess as a kid I didn't have studded tires. But I think that if I
were riding in the snow and ice often I would become a helmet user.

Ken

--
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

Matt O'Toole
December 6th 05, 06:29 PM
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:00:28 -0800, Fritz M wrote:

> Tim Nunes wrote:
>> Riding in snow doesn't sound too safe.... especially if it's on the
>> side of the road. One slip and you could be road kill.
>
> Snow isn't bad at all. Ice is somewhat more hazardous but that's
> overcome with technique. I've been doing it for almost 20 years now. I'm
> not roadkill yet. I find that it's often easier going on two wheels than
> two feet when I'm on ice.
>
> Last year I used studded tires for the first time. That makes things
> easier yet. Just watch for the slipping and sliding drivers and you'll
> be just fine.

That's what I worry about the most, especially in a college town full of
obnoxious young drivers. Studded tires are great, but around here the
tough conditions don't last long enough to justify them. Anyway the
biggest danger is still some stupid kid skidding into me.

Matt O.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home