PDA

View Full Version : Questions about cycling diet and exercise

Stephen Montgomery
December 5th 05, 06:35 PM
Not sure if this forum can address this question. If not, perhaps
someone can steer me to the right group. Appreciate any input:

I am an avid cyclist and log about 150 miles per week. Weekend
morning rides are usually 35 - 40 miles. I currently ride a 2001
Colnago Dream w/ Shimano Ultegra 9 spd and Rolf Vector Comp rims/hubs.
I'm purchasing a Ridley Boreas w/ 9 sp Ultegra and Bontrager rims/hubs
for my birthday. I really want to improve my ride performance but
feel my diet is negatively affecting me. I can hit higher speeds of
22-23 mph in the right conditions and maintain that for a few miles.
I can maintain about 20-21 mph over short distances of 15. Overall my
avg is closer to 19 - 19.5 over the entire ride. I'd like to increase
that avg as well as increase my power on hills and bridges.

Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
cycling? Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.

lowkey
December 5th 05, 06:37 PM
"Stephen Montgomery" > wrote in message

> Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
> cycling?

Not to belabour the obvious but the best exercise for cycling is....
cycling, IMO.

> Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.

In all things balance. Carbs, protein, a wide variety of fruits,
vegetables, lean meats, nuts, the least processed the better.

Bill Sornson
December 5th 05, 06:44 PM
Stephen Montgomery wrote:
> Not sure if this forum can address this question. If not, perhaps
> someone can steer me to the right group. Appreciate any input:
>
> I am an avid cyclist and log about 150 miles per week. Weekend
> morning rides are usually 35 - 40 miles. I currently ride a 2001
> Colnago Dream w/ Shimano Ultegra 9 spd and Rolf Vector Comp rims/hubs.
> I'm purchasing a Ridley Boreas w/ 9 sp Ultegra and Bontrager rims/hubs
> for my birthday. I really want to improve my ride performance but
> feel my diet is negatively affecting me. I can hit higher speeds of
> 22-23 mph in the right conditions and maintain that for a few miles.
> I can maintain about 20-21 mph over short distances of 15. Overall my
> avg is closer to 19 - 19.5 over the entire ride. I'd like to increase
> that avg as well as increase my power on hills and bridges.
>
> Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
> cycling?

Cycling. (Really. Although some gym leg machines would prolly be
worthwhile, too.)

> Also, any suggestions for a diet routine?

Less stuff that tastes good; more stuff that tastes bad. (Sigh.)

Seriously, sure sounds like you're doing pretty darned OK now; however,
there will doubtless be some good suggestions posted shortly.

Bill "would take a 19+ average in an elderly heartbeat" S.

December 5th 05, 08:20 PM
Stephen Montgomery wrote:
> Not sure if this forum can address this question. If not, perhaps
> someone can steer me to the right group. Appreciate any input:
>
> I am an avid cyclist and log about 150 miles per week. Weekend
> morning rides are usually 35 - 40 miles. I currently ride a 2001
> Colnago Dream w/ Shimano Ultegra 9 spd and Rolf Vector Comp rims/hubs.
> I'm purchasing a Ridley Boreas w/ 9 sp Ultegra and Bontrager rims/hubs
> for my birthday. I really want to improve my ride performance but
> feel my diet is negatively affecting me. I can hit higher speeds of
> 22-23 mph in the right conditions and maintain that for a few miles.
> I can maintain about 20-21 mph over short distances of 15. Overall my
> avg is closer to 19 - 19.5 over the entire ride. I'd like to increase
> that avg as well as increase my power on hills and bridges.
>
> Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
> cycling? Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.

IMO, the major factors that contribute to faster riding are fitness,
and not being overweight. In other words, strong cardio-vascular, and
no excess fat being carted around. Weight in the form of big heavy
muscles isn't that bad, but excess fat isn't helping anyone go fast.
The main muscle for faster long distance riding is the heart.

What features of your diet do you feel are adversely affecting your
performance?

I have posted questions about nutrition and cycling to
rec.bicycles.tech and have gotten good response there.

Joseph

Stephen Montgomery
December 5th 05, 10:42 PM
On 5 Dec 2005 12:20:06 -0800, wrote:

>IMO, the major factors that contribute to faster riding are fitness,
>and not being overweight. In other words, strong cardio-vascular, and
>no excess fat being carted around. Weight in the form of big heavy
>muscles isn't that bad, but excess fat isn't helping anyone go fast.
>The main muscle for faster long distance riding is the heart.
>
>What features of your diet do you feel are adversely affecting your
>performance?
>
>I have posted questions about nutrition and cycling to
>rec.bicycles.tech and have gotten good response there.
>
>Joseph

Can't say if my diet adversely affects my performance (at least not to
any great extent) - I just think I could be doing better but I'm not
sure how to go about it. I guess I'd like to have a plan outlined
that provides the details of what to eat on specific days and use that
as the basis for my eating routine.

Right now my diet consists of large salads on weekday evenings (M-
Th). I put in spinach, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, hard
boiled eggs, shrimp, chopped green and red peppers, ham chunks, red
onions. Breakfast every day I start with oatmeal, OJ and an english
muffin. I eat small stuff throughout the day (i.e. yogurt, apples,
pears, cheese, etc). Friday, Saturday and Sunday I like to have
pasta or fish (salmon or orange ruffie). I almost always have
breadsticks with every evening meal. I try to stay away from the fast
food but will eat Wendy's once a month and will go to Subway a couple
of times a month.

My current weight is 192 and I'm 6' tall. For the past 10-15 years
I've hovered in the 185 range and am working on getting back to that
weight. I'm in my late 40's.

Thanks for your input and I'll check out the posts in the tech forum.

Terry Neff
December 6th 05, 12:04 AM
Hi Stephen,

<snip>
> Right now my diet consists of large salads on weekday evenings
> (M-Th). I put in spinach, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, hard
> boiled eggs, shrimp, chopped green and red peppers, ham chunks,
> red onions. Breakfast every day I start with oatmeal, OJ and an
> english muffin. I eat small stuff throughout the day (i.e. yogurt,
> apples, pears, cheese, etc). Friday, Saturday and Sunday I like
> to have pasta or fish (salmon or orange ruffie). I almost always
> have breadsticks with every evening meal. I try to stay away from
> the fast food but will eat Wendy's once a month and will go to
> Subway a couple of times a month.
<snip>

In addition to what you eat, when you eat it may be important. I ran
across this article earlier today:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/07/990713073730.htm

Also, Joe Friel in his "Cycling Past 50" (Years, not MPH :-) talks about
the importance of both protein and carbohydrate immediately following long
and intense exercise. See pgs. 138-142.

Regards,
Terry

December 6th 05, 01:50 AM
Stephen Montgomery wrote:

> Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
> cycling? Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.

Competitive basketball, soccer, and hockey are all
excellent at building strength and power for cycling,
and cardio fitness as well.

RE: diet, I recommend a good pizza. Also bananas
and Clif bars. Eat a lot and ride a lot.

Robert

GaryG
December 6th 05, 01:55 AM
"Stephen Montgomery" > wrote in message
> On 5 Dec 2005 12:20:06 -0800, wrote:
>
> >IMO, the major factors that contribute to faster riding are fitness,
> >and not being overweight. In other words, strong cardio-vascular, and
> >no excess fat being carted around. Weight in the form of big heavy
> >muscles isn't that bad, but excess fat isn't helping anyone go fast.
> >The main muscle for faster long distance riding is the heart.
> >
> >What features of your diet do you feel are adversely affecting your
> >performance?
> >
> >I have posted questions about nutrition and cycling to
> >rec.bicycles.tech and have gotten good response there.
> >
> >Joseph
>
> Can't say if my diet adversely affects my performance (at least not to
> any great extent) - I just think I could be doing better but I'm not
> sure how to go about it. I guess I'd like to have a plan outlined
> that provides the details of what to eat on specific days and use that
> as the basis for my eating routine.
>
> Right now my diet consists of large salads on weekday evenings (M-
> Th). I put in spinach, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, hard
> boiled eggs, shrimp, chopped green and red peppers, ham chunks, red
> onions. Breakfast every day I start with oatmeal, OJ and an english
> muffin. I eat small stuff throughout the day (i.e. yogurt, apples,
> pears, cheese, etc). Friday, Saturday and Sunday I like to have
> pasta or fish (salmon or orange ruffie). I almost always have
> breadsticks with every evening meal. I try to stay away from the fast
> food but will eat Wendy's once a month and will go to Subway a couple
> of times a month.
>
> My current weight is 192 and I'm 6' tall. For the past 10-15 years
> I've hovered in the 185 range and am working on getting back to that
> weight. I'm in my late 40's.
>
> Thanks for your input and I'll check out the posts in the tech forum.

Your diet sounds kind of light on protein. I'd recommend adding more
low-fat protein sources (tuna, chicken, whey protein supplements, etc.).
Try to take on some protein after each hard ride, and make sure you get some
in the evening (your body builds muscles while you sleep). You might also
want to skip the breadsticks...they have about the same calorie density as
candy bars.

As for your weight...unless you have a very large frame, you could lose
about 20 lbs and you'll be a lot faster on the bike if you do (FWIW, I'm 6',
52 years old, and weigh 168). Cycling performance is very much about power
to weight ratio, so losing the weight will help a lot.

To lose weight, you have 3 simple options:

1) Eat Less

2) Exercise More

3) Do a bit of both.

Assuming your weight is currently static, if you only cut back about 250
calories per day (or exercise this much more...about 6 or 7 miles on a road
bike), you'll lose about half a pound per week.

Hope this helps.

~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

Andy Gee
December 6th 05, 03:02 AM
Stephen Montgomery > wrote in
:

> Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.

I'm a little short of your age and short of your weekly mileage, and just
about in your speed range.

On my long weekend rides, I start with oatmeal, breakfast fish (lox or
herring) and eggs (fried in PAM), an apple, an orange, a banna, some dates,
v-8 juice, sun dried tomatoes, black coffee, and a Scotto's fat-free
biscotto. I take apples and roasted fava beans on the ride with me. When
I get back, I sit around and relax for a while and then go have a big
sashimi dinner.

My whole diet breaks down like this: 600 calories of protien, mostly from
fish, fowl, bison, bean/vegetable sources, and some dairy and eggs. 1500
calories of carbs, 60-70% whole barley, oats, rye, buckwheat, corn, quinoa,
beans/starchy vegetables; 20-30% whole wheat, brown rice and potatoes, 10%
everything else for the starches, most of the sugars from the fruit and a
little chocolate at night. 500 calories of fat, mostly from the lean
protein sources and unsaturated vegetable oils and nuts. That's quite
typical and normal for my neighborhood, where most people practice human
powered transportation and everyone wears black.

--ag

lowkey
December 6th 05, 03:14 AM
"Andy Gee" > wrote in message
.198...
> Stephen Montgomery > wrote in
> :
>
>> Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.
>
> I'm a little short of your age and short of your weekly mileage, and just
> about in your speed range.
>
> On my long weekend rides, I start with oatmeal, breakfast fish (lox or
> herring) and eggs (fried in PAM),

I must say I really like those Omega 3 eggs. Supposedly high in Omega 3
fatty acids. Don't use PAM, either boiled, scrambled, poached, fried in
non-stick pan, or mushroom/green pep/onion omelette.

> an apple, an orange, a banna, some dates,
> v-8 juice,

Pure cranberry juice is good if tart.

> sun dried tomatoes, black coffee,

I add skim milk and ground almond to my java.

> My whole diet breaks down like this: 600 calories of protein, mostly from
> fish, fowl, bison, bean/vegetable sources, and some dairy and eggs. 1500
> calories of carbs, 60-70% whole barley, oats, rye, buckwheat, corn,
> quinoa,
> beans/starchy vegetables; 20-30% whole wheat, brown rice

Ever try wild rice? It's not really 'rice' - not part of that family of food
but a good source of protein. Expensive but good. A lot of places serve a
wild rice pilaf which is a mix of real and wild rice.

December 6th 05, 08:54 AM
Stephen Montgomery wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2005 12:20:06 -0800, wrote:
>
> >IMO, the major factors that contribute to faster riding are fitness,
> >and not being overweight. In other words, strong cardio-vascular, and
> >no excess fat being carted around. Weight in the form of big heavy
> >muscles isn't that bad, but excess fat isn't helping anyone go fast.
> >The main muscle for faster long distance riding is the heart.
> >
> >What features of your diet do you feel are adversely affecting your
> >performance?
> >
> >I have posted questions about nutrition and cycling to
> >rec.bicycles.tech and have gotten good response there.
> >
> >Joseph
>
> Can't say if my diet adversely affects my performance (at least not to
> any great extent) - I just think I could be doing better but I'm not
> sure how to go about it. I guess I'd like to have a plan outlined
> that provides the details of what to eat on specific days and use that
> as the basis for my eating routine.
>
> Right now my diet consists of large salads on weekday evenings (M-
> Th). I put in spinach, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, hard
> boiled eggs, shrimp, chopped green and red peppers, ham chunks, red
> onions. Breakfast every day I start with oatmeal, OJ and an english
> muffin. I eat small stuff throughout the day (i.e. yogurt, apples,
> pears, cheese, etc). Friday, Saturday and Sunday I like to have
> pasta or fish (salmon or orange ruffie). I almost always have
> breadsticks with every evening meal. I try to stay away from the fast
> food but will eat Wendy's once a month and will go to Subway a couple
> of times a month.
>
> My current weight is 192 and I'm 6' tall. For the past 10-15 years
> I've hovered in the 185 range and am working on getting back to that
> weight. I'm in my late 40's.
>
> Thanks for your input and I'll check out the posts in the tech forum.

I am 35 YO, 6'3", and 210lbs. In the last 2 years have lost about
60lbs. I started with changing my diet, then started riding again after
years of not doing so. I had been a vegetarian and had a very high
carbohydrate diet. I began eating meat again (after 15 years), and
focused on a much higher protein diet. I also stared lifting dumbells
in addition to the riding. My main sources of protein are yogurt,
cottage cheese, and meats like chicken, pork, and fish. I try to have
about 40% of my calories from protein. I find cottage cheese is a great
food to use as a regulator, since it is almost 100% protein. If I eat
some carbo heavy meal, I just add enough cottage cheese to get my 40%
more or less correct. I also make sure to eat a snack with plenty of
protein before I go to bed so I have plenty of building blocks
available for recovery while sleeping. I don't know how scientific this
is, but I am NEVER sore the next day after a workout no matter how
extreme if I eat enough protein before I go to bed. I also try to have
a good protien-carb mix right after a workout. I have lost lots of
weight and made huge gains in performance since I started. How much is
due to the diet vs how much is the excercise, I don't know, but I think
the 40% protein has helped significantly.

Good luck!

Joseph

John McCaskill
December 6th 05, 12:56 PM
Stephen Montgomery wrote:
> Not sure if this forum can address this question. If not, perhaps
> someone can steer me to the right group. Appreciate any input:
>
> I am an avid cyclist and log about 150 miles per week. Weekend
> morning rides are usually 35 - 40 miles. I currently ride a 2001
> Colnago Dream w/ Shimano Ultegra 9 spd and Rolf Vector Comp rims/hubs.
> I'm purchasing a Ridley Boreas w/ 9 sp Ultegra and Bontrager rims/hubs
> for my birthday. I really want to improve my ride performance but
> feel my diet is negatively affecting me. I can hit higher speeds of
> 22-23 mph in the right conditions and maintain that for a few miles.
> I can maintain about 20-21 mph over short distances of 15. Overall my
> avg is closer to 19 - 19.5 over the entire ride. I'd like to increase
> that avg as well as increase my power on hills and bridges.
>
> Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
> cycling? Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.

Take a look at the Cycling Performance Tips web site :
http://www.cptips.com/

It has information on nutrition, etc.

Regards,

John McCaskill

Roger Zoul
December 6th 05, 01:25 PM
lowkey wrote:
:: "Stephen Montgomery" > wrote in message
:: ...
::
::: Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
::: cycling?
::
:: Not to belabour the obvious but the best exercise for cycling is....
:: cycling, IMO.
::
::: Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.
::
:: In all things balance. Carbs, protein, a wide variety of fruits,
:: vegetables, lean meats, nuts, the least processed the better.

Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are very important too....

andy gee
December 6th 05, 04:16 PM
"lowkey" > wrote in
:

> "Andy Gee" > wrote in message
> .198...
>> Stephen Montgomery > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.
>>
>> I'm a little short of your age and short of your weekly mileage, and
>> just about in your speed range.
>>
>> On my long weekend rides, I start with oatmeal, breakfast fish (lox
>> or herring) and eggs (fried in PAM),
>
> I must say I really like those Omega 3 eggs. Supposedly high in Omega
> 3
> fatty acids. Don't use PAM, either boiled, scrambled, poached, fried
> in non-stick pan, or mushroom/green pep/onion omelette.

We get the cage-free, vegan-feed, brown eggs, supposedly higher in omega
3 but it doesn't really break it out on the label. Yum. PAM is one of
two laboratory products I've come to love, the other being "fat free
american cheese."

>> an apple, an orange, a banna, some dates,
>> v-8 juice,
>
> Pure cranberry juice is good if tart.

I thought that was only medicinal!

>> sun dried tomatoes, black coffee,
>
> I add skim milk and ground almond to my java.
>
>> My whole diet breaks down like this: 600 calories of protein, mostly
>> from fish, fowl, bison, bean/vegetable sources, and some dairy and
>> eggs. 1500 calories of carbs, 60-70% whole barley, oats, rye,
>> buckwheat, corn, quinoa,
>> beans/starchy vegetables; 20-30% whole wheat, brown rice
>
> Ever try wild rice? It's not really 'rice' - not part of that family
> of food but a good source of protein. Expensive but good. A lot of
> places serve a wild rice pilaf which is a mix of real and wild rice.

Yup, we get a brand that has rice and wild rice mixed, pretty good.

Bon Appetite!

--ag

Matthew Venhaus
December 6th 05, 05:45 PM
Stephen Montgomery > wrote in message

> Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
> cycling? Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.

To ride faster, ride your bike more. Other than that you haven't given
enough information to determine your limiting factor on the bike. Does
your bike fit well? Is it geared properly for the type of riding you
do? What kind of terrain do you typically ride on? Are you comfortable
riding in a pace line? How fast can you comfortably "spin" the pedals?
In group rides how do you fair on long climb? Sprints? Have you raced
any time trials? If so, how did you do?

Diet: same thing, not enough information. How much do you weigh now?
How many calories do you eat per day? What macronutrient ratio are you
currently eating? Do you take any supplements? How does the timing of
your diet relate to your training? What is your fluid intake?

Consider purchasing a good cycling training book like "Performance
Cycling" by Morris.

Stephen Montgomery
December 7th 05, 05:53 PM
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:45:09 -0700, "Matthew Venhaus"
> wrote:

>Stephen Montgomery > wrote in message
>>
>> Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
>> cycling? Also, any suggestions for a diet routine? Thanks.
>
>To ride faster, ride your bike more. Other than that you haven't given
>enough information to determine your limiting factor on the bike. Does
>your bike fit well? Is it geared properly for the type of riding you
>do? What kind of terrain do you typically ride on? Are you comfortable
>riding in a pace line? How fast can you comfortably "spin" the pedals?
>In group rides how do you fair on long climb? Sprints? Have you raced
>any time trials? If so, how did you do?
>
>Diet: same thing, not enough information. How much do you weigh now?
>How many calories do you eat per day? What macronutrient ratio are you
>currently eating? Do you take any supplements? How does the timing of
>your diet relate to your training? What is your fluid intake?
>
>Consider purchasing a good cycling training book like "Performance
>Cycling" by Morris.

Wow, lots of good questions and I know I can provide answers but to
avoid dragging things out I'll check out the web links provided by
other posters and look at the book you recommended.

Thank you to everyone who responded. Lots of great info - a bit
overwhelming but I'll sort through it and see where I can improve.
Thanks again!

David L. Johnson
December 7th 05, 07:44 PM
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:37:20 -0500, lowkey wrote:

> "Stephen Montgomery" > wrote in message
>
>> Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
>> cycling?
>
> Not to belabour the obvious but the best exercise for cycling is....
> cycling, IMO.

I agree, but OTOH the question is still a reasonable one. Most sports
require some sort of cross-training. Cycling is unusual in that it really
doesn't.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

Ken M
December 7th 05, 07:53 PM
David L. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:37:20 -0500, lowkey wrote:
>

>>"Stephen Montgomery" > wrote in message
>>

>>>Any suggestions for exercises that strengthen the muscles needed for
>>>cycling?
>>
>> Not to belabour the obvious but the best exercise for cycling is....
>>cycling, IMO.
>

> I agree, but OTOH the question is still a reasonable one. Most sports
> require some sort of cross-training. Cycling is unusual in that it really
> doesn't.

I have been curious about this as well. I was thinking of maybe some
squats or maybe some lunges?

Ken

--
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

lowkey
December 7th 05, 08:55 PM
"Ken M" > wrote in message
> David L. Johnson wrote:

>>> Not to belabour the obvious but the best exercise for cycling is....
>>> cycling, IMO.
>>

>> I agree, but OTOH the question is still a reasonable one. Most sports
>> require some sort of cross-training. Cycling is unusual in that it
>> really
>> doesn't.
>>
> I have been curious about this as well. I was thinking of maybe some
> squats or maybe some lunges?

I look for offsetting exercises myself - those that work different muscles
or the same muscles in a different direction.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home