PDA

View Full Version : Snownicycling!

flyer
December 6th 05, 06:02 PM
Hey guys. I had to make a trip downtown today, so I figured, why not
take the KH24? Right? :D

Since it snowed here in St. John's last night (and a fair bit, I might
add), it was really my only option, since everyone knows driving is for
wimps.

So off I head, trying to gague the grip I've got, and how deep is too
deep when I'm riding through a drift, and after about two hours playing
around in the stuff, I think I've got a fairly good grip on how it
works.

Other than the fact that I realize how much I love blasting down
slippery trails, whether they be sidewalk or singletrack, today was a
total win. I fell off a lot, but I also figured out how to plough
through deep drifts to get onto the sidewalk on the other side, and
rode down an even bigger set of stairs today. All around, an awesome
ride.

I have one question for any of the maintenance nuts here - how often
should I rotate my splined cranks, and how much should I worry about
snow and salt corroding my parts? I can get a cloth and wipe all the
crud out of the bearing holders and stuff, but is that neccessary? It'd
be cool to hear some of you guys' experiences with snow and how the
parts take it, since I'm still in the 'don't drop it too hard' phase of
ownership with my new kh24.

Cheers, and I hope you guys are making the best of your snow should it
be around,
-Dave

|Filename: DSC05872.JPG |

flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

carsonpalooza
December 6th 05, 08:32 PM
flyer wrote:

> how much should I worry about snow and salt corroding my parts? I can
> get a cloth and wipe all the crud out of the bearing holders and stuff,
> but is that neccessary?

When ever you get salt in your unicycle you want to thoroughly clean
it. The salt can corrode the parts leading to rusting which you don't
want. Take the unicycle and wash the parts with some soap and water
and then put a little lube back on.

--
carsonpalooza

I just wear bike shorts...* the tight kind*
That site is making me drool.
-Dave aka fcwegnm0b
carsonpalooza's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10085

flyer
December 6th 05, 08:55 PM
Thanks. I'll have to make a spot for wiping the thing down at the end of
every day. I'll be picking up some bike grease as well tomorrow.

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

unijesse
December 6th 05, 09:50 PM
carsonpalooza wrote:
> When ever you get salt in your unicycle you want to thoroughly clean it.
> The salt can corrode the parts leading to rusting which you don't
> want. Take the unicycle and wash the parts with some soap and water
> and then put a little lube back on.

Dang ive got salt allover my uni its gonna take forever to clean, this
sucks:(

--
unijesse

"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down, this should be the best day
of my life."-Bart Simpson
unijesse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10868

evil-nick
December 7th 05, 05:29 AM
I put mine in the shower, first I turn on the shwoer head, then I get a
pitcher of water and rinse off the entire thing.

Last year I never washed it off, and a lot of the bolts got corroded
and stuff. Also, the frame was almost entirely covered in surface
rust. I had to repaint the entire thing this summer.

I'd post pics, but our webserver is down for maintenance :(

--
evil-nick

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
remain.

* Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

My gallery:
http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
Our Club:
http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/