PDA

View Full Version : Clothing Advice Redux

Doug Hall
December 6th 05, 10:10 PM
A week or so back I popped my head over the parapet and sought your
collective advice on suitable clothing for night-time winter cycling.

Well today I finally got all the clothes and attempted the journey back
this evening. It went very well, so well in fact that I even cycled to
the next railway station along on my journey before catching the train
for the final leg home, something I never even managed in the summer!

The only downside I found so far is my legs got a little chilly around
the knees, but I didn't appreciate just how bloomin' cold it was until
I got stuck waiting at the railway station, (naturally without an
indoor waitingroom) for 20 minutes.

I bought a couple of layers for the top half (sorry to those who
recommended the buffalo thing, maybe I'll look at that next time) and
the altura nevis, which is pretty much the most garish thing I've ever
worn, but seems to do the job just fine. On the lower half, the
bikesters and cycling shorts. Also a couple of buffs for the head,
which do a remarkably good job of keeping me warm, even with my grade-1
haircut.

Thanks again for everyones words of wisdom!

-Douglas

wafflycat
December 7th 05, 08:24 AM
"Doug Hall" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> The only downside I found so far is my legs got a little chilly around
> the knees, but I didn't appreciate just how bloomin' cold it was until
> I got stuck waiting at the railway station, (naturally without an
> indoor waitingroom) for 20 minutes.

Longjohns. When it's *cold* I'll be wearing cycle shorts, then a pair of
longjohns then the Bikesters.

Cheers, helen s

MSeries
December 7th 05, 08:30 AM
Doug Hall wrote:
> A week or so back I popped my head over the parapet and sought your
> collective advice on suitable clothing for night-time winter cycling.
>
> Well today I finally got all the clothes and attempted the journey back
> this evening. It went very well, so well in fact that I even cycled to
> the next railway station along on my journey before catching the train
> for the final leg home, something I never even managed in the summer!
>
> The only downside I found so far is my legs got a little chilly around
> the knees, but I didn't appreciate just how bloomin' cold it was until
> I got stuck waiting at the railway station, (naturally without an
> indoor waitingroom) for 20 minutes.
>
> I bought a couple of layers for the top half (sorry to those who
> recommended the buffalo thing, maybe I'll look at that next time) and
> the altura nevis, which is pretty much the most garish thing I've ever
> worn, but seems to do the job just fine. On the lower half, the
> bikesters and cycling shorts. Also a couple of buffs for the head,
> which do a remarkably good job of keeping me warm, even with my grade-1
> haircut.
>
> Thanks again for everyones words of wisdom!
>
> -Douglas

Roubaix cycling tights are better than Bikesters, the latter really are
not proper cycling attire. My blue Nevis is far from garish, thats why
I got the blue one.

Peter Clinch
December 7th 05, 09:12 AM
MSeries wrote:

> Roubaix cycling tights are better than Bikesters, the latter really are
> not proper cycling attire.

They're fine as cycling attire, but they're rather thinner than roubaix
tights, or fleece tights (available from any decent outdoor shop).

If it's screamingly cold then some pertex overtrousers will keep the
wind off your legs, though you may find overtrousers to be a Work Of
Stan (I do). Longjohns, as Helen mentioned, will work too but again I'm
not really a fan: wearing two pairs of long skin-tight clingy things
just doesn't really work well for me, and I prefer going for the fleece
tights instead.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home