PDA

View Full Version : Grandad on a sting ray.

Ken M
December 7th 05, 11:57 AM
Okay I laughed a couple of times when I read this. Just a little diddy
about a guy on an adult sized Sting Ray.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/jupiter/content/neighborhood/npall/epaper/2005/12/07/npall_fencepost_1207.html

Ken

--
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

Chris Z The Wheelman
December 10th 05, 11:37 PM
I will say this about the new "Schwinn" StingRays, They do look kinda
cool.

Never seen the adult model though.

- -
These comments compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Ken M
December 11th 05, 05:21 PM
Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:
> I will say this about the new "Schwinn" StingRays, They do look kinda
> cool.
>
> Never seen the adult model though.

The adult model is a staple at Wal-Mart. It looks cool sitting on the
floor, but I wouldn't want to ride one more than around the block. I
lifted one up, it must weight 50+ pounds.

Ken
--
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

Chalo
December 13th 05, 06:56 AM
Ken M wrote:

> The adult model is a staple at Wal-Mart. It looks cool sitting on the
> floor, but I wouldn't want to ride one more than around the block. I
> lifted one up, it must weight 50+ pounds.

The virtue of a chopper is never measured in pounds. The Sting Ray
Spoiler loses a ton of points for being Walmart crap, though.

Chalo

December 14th 05, 03:32 PM
My 1972 Schwinn 2-speed "lightweight" with steel baskets in the back
weighs 48 lbs!

Chris Z The Wheelman
December 15th 05, 06:03 AM
From: (Ken*M)

>The adult model is a staple at Wal-Mart.
>It looks cool sitting on the floor, but I
>wouldn't want to ride one more than
>around the block. I lifted one up, it must
>weight 50+ pounds.

>Ken

Maybe it was the "adult" version I've seen then, does it have a 40+ inch
wheelbase? The one's I've seen certainly are heavy. I'd be hard pressed
to imagine a ten-year-old pedelling them very far.!

- -
These comments compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Ken M
December 15th 05, 11:36 AM
Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:

> Maybe it was the "adult" version I've seen then, does it have a 40+ inch
> wheelbase? The one's I've seen certainly are heavy. I'd be hard pressed
> to imagine a ten-year-old pedelling them very far.!

I don't know how long the wheel base was, but it "looked" far to large
for a child to ride.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

ReptilesBlade
December 15th 05, 09:53 PM
Ken M > wrote in
:

> Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:
>> I will say this about the new "Schwinn" StingRays, They do look kinda
>> cool.
>>
>> Never seen the adult model though.
>
> The adult model is a staple at Wal-Mart. It looks cool sitting on the
> floor, but I wouldn't want to ride one more than around the block. I
> lifted one up, it must weight 50+ pounds.
>
> Ken

No way in hell, my Next Avalon weighs in the 40-50lb range and that is at
best only 2/3rd the bike that the StingRay is. Try closer to 75-80lbs for the
StingRay, I know from trying I cannot even pick the blasted things up but I
can carry the Avalon for a half a city block with only minor difficulty.

My 7500 however is an entirely different matter, even fully loaded it weighs
a full 1/3rd less than the Avalon. :)

http://www.usenet.com

Ken M
December 16th 05, 11:21 AM
ReptilesBlade wrote:

> No way in hell, my Next Avalon weighs in the 40-50lb range and that is at
> best only 2/3rd the bike that the StingRay is. Try closer to 75-80lbs for the
> StingRay, I know from trying I cannot even pick the blasted things up but I
> can carry the Avalon for a half a city block with only minor difficulty.
>
> My 7500 however is an entirely different matter, even fully loaded it weighs
> a full 1/3rd less than the Avalon. :)

Well that 50 was just a guess, and I am terrible at guessing. But it
weighed at least as much as a bike loaded for touring.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

ReptilesBlade
December 16th 05, 04:12 PM
Ken M > wrote in
:

> ReptilesBlade wrote:
>

>> No way in hell, my Next Avalon weighs in the 40-50lb range and that is
>> at best only 2/3rd the bike that the StingRay is. Try closer to
>> 75-80lbs for the StingRay, I know from trying I cannot even pick the
>> blasted things up but I can carry the Avalon for a half a city block
>> with only minor difficulty.
>>
>> My 7500 however is an entirely different matter, even fully loaded it
>> weighs a full 1/3rd less than the Avalon. :)
>
> Well that 50 was just a guess, and I am terrible at guessing. But it
> weighed at least as much as a bike loaded for touring.
>
> Ken

Yeah, I believe that. I actually read an article somewhere online that said
the weight for the StingRays was around 80-90 lbs, but that was a while ago
and I do not know if I can find it again.

I figured 75-80 lbs was a safe guess. They look really freaking cool, but I
am sure they are probably just barely functional for use as a bike of any
kind. At least my Avalon works as a great back-up/emergency bike or as a
second bike for friends who ride with me.

Since buying the 7500 I have come to see all of the flaws in the Avalon,
but to be honest even though I know it is the wrong bike for me and even
with all of those flaws I still like it. The Avalon got me back into
cycling and helped to improve my health beyond anything I ever thought
possible. Yeah it cost me about $200-250 after I was finished adding
accessories and all but what I got out of it was worth so much more. For
that reason alone I keep it around even though my need for it is
considerably less than it was earlier this year now that I have the 7500.

Besides, it just looks cool. I do not know what it is; just the style alone
is its greatest charm. When I was wondering around Wal-Mart one day I saw
it and just something about the way it looked made me want to buy it and
give cycling a try again for the first time in years. If it was not for
that I probably would not have gotten the outside activity I had been
wanting and needing so badly, I know at the time I would have never gone to
the LBS and plopped down $300-400 for a bike with or without accessories.
Hell the only reason the Avalon cost as much as it did is because the cost
snuck up on me through accessories. I would have never even put down more
than the $100 the bike cost alone otherwise.

No, the Avalon has its flaws, but I owe that cheap little thing a debt I am
not sure I would even know how to repay.

http://www.usenet.com

Ken M
December 16th 05, 07:55 PM
ReptilesBlade wrote:

> Yeah, I believe that. I actually read an article somewhere online that said
> the weight for the StingRays was around 80-90 lbs, but that was a while ago
> and I do not know if I can find it again.
>
> I figured 75-80 lbs was a safe guess. They look really freaking cool, but I
> am sure they are probably just barely functional for use as a bike of any
> kind. At least my Avalon works as a great back-up/emergency bike or as a
> second bike for friends who ride with me.

They DO look cool, but I can't see much functionality in them. I guess
if you got the money to blow and your kid wants one and you want
something that you and the kid can do together a matching set of kid &
adult Stingrays might look good cruising around the block.

> Since buying the 7500 I have come to see all of the flaws in the Avalon,
> but to be honest even though I know it is the wrong bike for me and even
> with all of those flaws I still like it. The Avalon got me back into
> cycling and helped to improve my health beyond anything I ever thought
> possible. Yeah it cost me about $200-250 after I was finished adding
> accessories and all but what I got out of it was worth so much more. For
> that reason alone I keep it around even though my need for it is
> considerably less than it was earlier this year now that I have the 7500.

You know people bash X-Mart bikes because they are pretty much garbage,
but every once in a while someone goes out and buys a bike from one of
those types of stores, and the buyer rides it enough to realize that
they like cycling, and that leads them into the LBS where they buy a
"REAL" bike so that they can keep riding.

> Besides, it just looks cool. I do not know what it is; just the style alone
> is its greatest charm. When I was wondering around Wal-Mart one day I saw
> it and just something about the way it looked made me want to buy it and
> give cycling a try again for the first time in years. If it was not for
> that I probably would not have gotten the outside activity I had been
> wanting and needing so badly, I know at the time I would have never gone to
> the LBS and plopped down $300-400 for a bike with or without accessories.
> Hell the only reason the Avalon cost as much as it did is because the cost
> snuck up on me through accessories. I would have never even put down more
> than the $100 the bike cost alone otherwise.

Yeah all the "extras" add up quick. My first new bike purchase as an
adult was $475, but then you have to add for the lights for night or
morning rides, the cyclocomputer, maybe a handlebar bag or other bag, a
lock etc, etc, etc and after it was all said and done it added up to
over $700.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home