PDA

View Full Version : Giant or Ridgeback.

Graham Harrison
December 7th 05, 06:12 PM
I'm considering an Giant N7
http://www.giant-bicycle.com/uk/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10295&year=2006&search_text=escape%20n7
and a Ridgeback Rapide Neutron http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/ but I'm afraid
you then have to work your own way through the website.

Anybody got any preference and why?

I'd love a Cannondale but I don't think I can justify the cost. The shop
I'm contemplating dealing with doesn't sell any other bikes with the Nexus
hub gear but I'd go elsewhere for a different make if given a good reason
(I'll accept your definition of a good reason!).

Use of the bike will be for a downhill freewheel of about a mile into the
village and ride back up (it's not steep, just a bit of a drag) with
shopping. Also occasional local rides, mainly on lanes or well maintained
bridle ways. Nothing enormous distance. Very faint possibility of a 10
mile very flat commute but I'll need to build a bit more fitness first!

Simon Brooke
December 7th 05, 08:26 PM
in message >, Graham
Harrison ') wrote:

> I'm considering an Giant N7

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/uk/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10295&year=2006&search_text=escape%20n7
> and a Ridgeback Rapide Neutron http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/ but I'm
> afraid you then have to work your own way through the website.
>
> Anybody got any preference and why?

Neutron.

Mind you, I haven't ridden either bike, but I have ridden a Giant XtC.

Three reasons:

(i) Dynamo lights
(ii) Nexus 8 rather than Nexus 7
(iii) The XtC on which the N7 is based is an excellent cross country
hardtail which means it's got lousy geometry for road use.

> I'd love a Cannondale but I don't think I can justify the cost.

I utterly adore my Cannondale, but it's not a bike I'd use anywhere crime
was an issue. They are beautiful bikes, but they are thief magnets.

;; When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.

Steve W
December 7th 05, 09:31 PM
What about the Decathalon triban 5

"Graham Harrison" > wrote in message
> I'm considering an Giant N7

http://www.giant-bicycle.com/uk/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?model=10295&year
=2006&search_text=escape%20n7
> and a Ridgeback Rapide Neutron http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/ but I'm afraid
> you then have to work your own way through the website.
>
> Anybody got any preference and why?
>
> I'd love a Cannondale but I don't think I can justify the cost. The shop
> I'm contemplating dealing with doesn't sell any other bikes with the Nexus
> hub gear but I'd go elsewhere for a different make if given a good reason
> (I'll accept your definition of a good reason!).
>
> Use of the bike will be for a downhill freewheel of about a mile into the
> village and ride back up (it's not steep, just a bit of a drag) with
> shopping. Also occasional local rides, mainly on lanes or well
maintained
> bridle ways. Nothing enormous distance. Very faint possibility of a 10
> mile very flat commute but I'll need to build a bit more fitness first!

Jon Senior
December 7th 05, 11:15 PM
Steve W wrote:
> What about the Decathalon triban 5

Or Halfrauds Subway 8?

That said, of the two original choices, I'd vote for the Neutron. I've
ridden one around briefly (My review of it can be found via Google
Groups) and I found it pretty good. Secondly it comes with dynohub and
lights and (from memory) can be easily supplemented with mudguards and
rack making it into a near perfect commuter beast!

Jon

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home