PDA

View Full Version : Movie: A ledge

Evan Byrne
December 8th 05, 12:48 AM
Jason says i should post it, so here it is: http://tinyurl.com/796r4

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

uniMcPeat
December 8th 05, 01:05 AM
That was awesome.....Jason???

--
uniMcPeat

-Bryan
uniMcPeat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10313

Evan Byrne
December 8th 05, 01:08 AM
I allmost blut grinded it today, i have had more luck on a rail, it
needs to be really steep, and waxed to hell, because when you hit your
bacicly in a stall.

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

forrestunifreak
December 8th 05, 01:10 AM
Blunt grind would be way easier on a 20 " BC.... Ha!

--
forrestunifreak

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

Evan Byrne
December 8th 05, 01:12 AM
forrestunifreak wrote:
> Blunt grind would be way easier on a 20 " BC.... Ha!

No it wouldnt, you need tons of speed for a blunt grind, a 20s are
slugs when it comes to speed.

H A !

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

forrestunifreak
December 8th 05, 01:14 AM
you'd have to jump 3 inches higher.....

--
forrestunifreak

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

Evan Byrne
December 8th 05, 01:15 AM
3"

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

sabin_a.
December 8th 05, 01:30 AM
forrestunifreak wrote:
> You ARE as good as Jeff Groves.

umm.....I wouldnt go as far to say that, but that was a pretty good
grind. Nice work.

--
sabin_a.

Homer - "Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could
not eat it?"
Flanders - "Well, as melon scratchers go, that's a honey doodle"

'SIXSIXONE' (www.sixsixone.com)
sabin_a.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4457

litldude2
December 8th 05, 01:53 AM
forrestunifreak wrote:
> You ARE as good as Jeff Groves.

I heard from someone (probably evan) that most of Jeff's part in defect
was filmed 15 months ago. If thats true then Jeff did his big ledge
grind before Evan learned how to even ride a bc.

And once you can hop on a bc, then grinding is not any harder than on a
uni. I think its easier because your feet are closer together and not
staggered like a uni.

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com

maestro8
December 8th 05, 01:57 AM
uniMcPeat wrote:
> Jason???

Yes???

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

unicyclistjoe
December 8th 05, 02:21 AM
Wow, nicely done Evan...impressive stuff for sure

--
unicyclistjoe

NZUni President
93cm Highest Hop
225cm Longest Hop
unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

e39m5
December 8th 05, 03:13 AM
What does the size wheel have to do with anything? More surface area =
more friction slower. A trials BC would be pretty slow. But
anotherwise its all pretty much the same. Weights also an issue. The
less weight faster youll accelerate. Gotta love physics

e39m5

--
e39m5
e39m5's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9836

abbabibble
December 8th 05, 03:25 AM
cool stuff.

what's the difference between a plain ol' grind and a "blunt grind"
anyway?

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
"abababilbel" - General Dibbles
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

litldude2
December 8th 05, 03:35 AM
A blunt grind is when you ride up on one side of the ledge/rail and hop
over it and grind it on the opposite side.
Oh and thats a nice grind Evan...I don't like watching that clip
because when I grinded that ledge on my uni and I fell hard and landed
in a hole squished against the fence...bloody hands ha, but your grind
is good.

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com

entropy
December 8th 05, 03:51 AM
e39m5 wrote:
> Weights also an issue. The less weight faster youll accelerate.

And physics also tells us that a lighter wheel will decelerate faster,
too.

A bigger wheel carries more momentum (which is related to speed), but
may be more the deciding factor when grinding. Whatever, I'm no
expert.

Jason was right. Cool vid, sweet move. Keep it up.

--
entropy
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

forrestunifreak
December 8th 05, 04:25 AM

--
forrestunifreak

warning: the above statement is usually not intended to offend anyone.
it has been know to cause warts, ringworm, and diaper rash.
it may contain logic, poltical incorrectyness, pchycological nudity,
and traces of peanuts.you cant read this!
'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

'Seattle Bike Supply' (http://www.seattlebikesupply.com)

litldude2
December 8th 05, 04:27 AM
entropy wrote:
> A bigger wheel carries more momentum (which is related to speed), but
> may be more the deciding factor when grinding. Whatever, I'm no
> expert.

I don't think that if the wheel is 6" bigger it will make -that- much
difference in grinding. Maybe if you are going down a big hill it would
make you go faster but with a few revs of run up the difference in
speed will depend alot more on how hard/fast you can push off. The big
wheel would be easier to grind ledges because you don't have to hop as
high to get the plates on but then if you want to do variations it will
be harder (like with blunt grinds you have to hop higher to get over it
and 180 to grinds you probably have to start farther away so the wheel
has more room to spin before you land in the grind)

forrestunifreak wrote:
> Haha, yeah. I gues what I meant is that he is better than the small
> amount of stuff Jeff Does in Defect....

Then I agree :D

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com

Evan Byrne
December 8th 05, 05:18 AM
I don't know why it is, but there is SUCH a big difference between the
26" wheel and the 19".

It may be that the plates are higher? I'm pretty tired right now and my
brain is being mean to me, so if i sound like a dumass that is
why....but heres my guess.....

Since the plates are higher on a 26" this gives you more airbourne time
between each stroke in the skate mount. On a 19" you have less because
in the skate mount you bring you foot back forward around the plate
hight position then shove the ground again. i suppose you could addapt
and get a better ballance then make larger strokes but relitive to the
19", the 26" wheel is easyer to go get going faster.

i dont know if that makes any sence.

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

hecklar
December 8th 05, 03:47 PM
litldude2 wrote:
> A blunt grind is when you ride up on one side of the ledge/rail and hop
> over it and grind it on the opposite side.

Maybe in unicycling, but that's not true in skateboarding, except in
coincidence where there's only one edge of the rail/ledge to grind. If
we are applying skateboarding trick names to unicycling, then a blunt
slide would be when you roll up to a ledge/rail, jump so that your
wheel lands on the other side of the near edge, and you grind on the
near edge with the opposite platform/plate. So if you are riding up to
a ledge that is on your right, you'd jump, land your wheel on the right
side of the edge of the ledge, and grind on the left edge of the ledge
with your left platform.

The difference is that if you are grinding a fun box that is, say, a
meter wide (regardless of length), then your wheel wouldn't actually
make it to the other side of the ledge, since the fun box is obviously
way too wide. So the BC would land at like a 45 degree angle, with the
wheel riding on the top of the fun box and the opposite platform
grinding the edge. Does that make sense?

For instance, have you seen the Birdhouse skate video from like 7 years
ago called 'The End'? Well that "noseblunt slide" that Heath Kirchart
does on that brown rail - the one that he won the trick of the year
award for - it isn't actually a noseblunt slide. It's really a nose
slide on the opposite side of the rail, since he's actually on the
other side of the rail, sliding on only the nose and not the truck's
base plate as you would with a bluntslide. He ollies over the rail,
and then lays down the (nose) slide. The difference is subtle, but
there is a difference. Typically though, your definition does work for
grinding rails, since there's only really one edge of the ledge/rail to
grind.

Any of this make any sense?

--
hecklar
hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

Loosemoose
December 8th 05, 04:01 PM
hecklar wrote:
> Maybe in unicycling, but that's not true in skateboarding, except in
> coincidence where there's only one edge of the rail/ledge to grind. If
> we are applying skateboarding trick names to unicycling, then a blunt
> slide would be when you roll up to a ledge/rail, jump so that your
> wheel lands on the other side of the near edge, and you grind on the
> near edge with the opposite platform/plate. So if you are riding up to
> a ledge that is on your right, you'd jump, land your wheel on the right
> side of the edge of the ledge, and grind on the left edge of the ledge
> with your left platform.
>
> ...<snip>...Typically though, your definition does work for grinding
> rails, since there's only really one edge of the ledge/rail to grind.
>
> Any of this make any sense?

But surely that means that the only object you can 'blunt slide' on is
a single pole rail, since any other type of rail (wall edge, funbox
etc) is theoretically just 2 rails with a gap between them... And in
that case, there is actually no such thing as a 'blunt slide' because a
single rail has no left/right distinction of side.

I suggest we go with the definition of heading to grind one side of a
rail (be it single pole or wall/box based) and performing a hop to
switch the grind side. Thats what I thought it meant anyway.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Officially a  & ~ expert.

_no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

leeman180
December 8th 05, 09:42 PM
That was sooo smooth. Nicely done!