PDA

View Full Version : kh carbon fiber base question

sabin_a.
December 8th 05, 03:39 AM
hey guys,

I was wondering if you can drill a kh cf base to fit a kinport
handle. considering the curve of the handle space on the kh base might
be the same a the curve of the miyata.

thanks,
-Sabin

--
sabin_a.

Homer - "Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could
not eat it?"
Flanders - "Well, as melon scratchers go, that's a honey doodle"

'SIXSIXONE' (www.sixsixone.com)
sabin_a.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4457

S_Wallis
December 8th 05, 03:53 AM
Sabin,

The Kinport handle does not fit down into the KH style CF base because
it is a little too wide. It would probably go if you did some grinding
on the corners of the Kinport, but it could compromise the strength.

It would also not fit tightly up to the lower edge of the base because
the KH style base is shallower than the Miyata style, but that is just
a cosmetic issue.

Scott

--
S_Wallis

"Lol, of course it's not the best riding, if it were we'd be the best
riders and you'd all know who we were." -kington99
--------------'-top secret-'
(http://www.wallisdesign.com/HANDLEpics.html)-------------------------------------my
-'-email-' )-------------
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

sabin_a.
December 8th 05, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the explanation Scott.

--
sabin_a.

Homer - "Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could
not eat it?"
Flanders - "Well, as melon scratchers go, that's a honey doodle"

'SIXSIXONE' (www.sixsixone.com)
sabin_a.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4457

litldude2
December 8th 05, 04:34 AM
Ok well I have a question too that has something to do with this...sort
of. I have a miyata cf base with a reeder right now and if I wanted to
switch to a kinport ever would it be bad to drill more holes in the
base? If I drilled it again for a kinport then there will be 6-7 holes
in the front of my base( I don't know how many bolts are on a kinport)
Will it compromise that much strength if the front of my base looks
like swiss cheese? :)

--
litldude2

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com

S_Wallis
December 9th 05, 02:52 AM
litldude2 wrote:
> Ok well I have a question too that has something to do with this...sort
> of. I have a miyata cf base with a reeder right now and if I wanted to
> switch to a kinport ever would it be bad to drill more holes in the
> base? If I drilled it again for a kinport then there will be 6-7 holes
> in the front of my base( I don't know how many bolts are on a kinport)
> Will it compromise that much strength if the front of my base looks
> like swiss cheese? :)

Strengthwise I doubt there would be a problem. But, chances are the
front hole on the Reeder will not fall in exactly the same place as the
Kinport hole needs to be but they may overlap wich could be a bit of a
problem if you end up with an oversize hole that won't hold the bolt
head. If that happens you can probably epoxy the hole up and redrill
it.

--
S_Wallis

"Lol, of course it's not the best riding, if it were we'd be the best
riders and you'd all know who we were." -kington99
--------------'-top secret-'
(http://www.wallisdesign.com/HANDLEpics.html)-------------------------------------my
-'-email-' )-------------
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520