PDA

View Full Version : cycling home - London to Fareham - why not A3?

December 8th 05, 11:05 PM
Hi

Having recently got rid of my very old, but lovely, Volvo 480 Turbo,
I'm now thinking how I might get home to visit my parents for
Christmas. They live in Lee-on-Solent, near Portsmouth. Volvo-wise, I'd
just bomb down the A3. I really want to get down there on the bike this
time.

Can I make it?

Well, I think, 'maybe just', in one long day but I'm not even sure how
far it would be on the bike. I've cycled London-Brighton (2005) in six
odd hours (my longest trip) and have done a fair few times (20 or so
this year) the following, probably typical-Londoner rides, in three
hours: gone to Richmond Park (11 miles), gone round 3 times (21 miles?)
and come back (11 miles) so that's 45 miles or so.

But I can't find much about total routes on the internet.

I reckon it's going to be 80-90 miles or so somehow.

So, if I set off 7am, I should be able to arrive on the same day ...

Any ideas and why not just the A3 (not that I've seen a single cycle on
it)?

Emma

PS Do not tell the parents!

Dave Kahn
December 9th 05, 12:08 AM
wrote:

> Any ideas and why not just the A3 (not that I've seen a single cycle on
> it)?

The A3 in many places is effectively a motorway. Apart from being very
unpleasant to cycle on it's also not good for your life expectancy.

You don't say where in London you are but starting from Whitehall and
avoiding the A3 I've generated the following example route on Autoroute.
You should be able to verify it on the internet at www.streetmap.co.uk
or various other mapping sites. It's about 78 miles so 6 to 7 hours
should be quite doable including stops. It will take in some tough hills
though.

When you review this route (which you should, very thoroughly) there are
still some busy roads you might want to plan to avoid such as the A4 and
A316 in West London, but busy though they are they are nothing like the
A3. I'm sure people will comment on other bits of it. You can then work
up your own route sheet, or ink the route onto pages cut out from a
motoring atlas.

Mile Instruction
0 Depart London on A3212 [Whitehall] (North)
0.1 At roundabout, take the FIRST exit onto The Mall
0.7 Turn RIGHT (North-West) onto Local road(s)
0.8 Road name changes to Constitution Hill
1.2 Merge onto Duke of Wellington Place
1.2 Road name changes to Local road(s)
1.3 Bear LEFT (North-West) onto A4 [Knightsbridge]
1.4 Take Ramp onto A4 [Knightsbridge]
5.9 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A316 [Burlington Lane]
8.1 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A316 [Lower Mortlake Road]
8.6 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A316 [Twickenham Road]
9.8 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A316 [Chertsey Road]
12 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A316 [Great Chertsey Road]
13.7 Keep STRAIGHT onto Ramp
13.8 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto Ramp
14.1 Merge onto A316 [Country Way]
14.7 At Exit 1, keep LEFT onto Ramp toward A308 / Sunbury / Staines
14.9 At roundabout, take the THIRD exit onto Green Street
15.3 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Nursery Road
15.8 Turn LEFT (South) onto A244 [Upper Halliford Road]
16.4 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A244
16.9 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Gaston Bridge Road
17 Road name changes to Green Lane
17.1 Turn LEFT to stay on Green Lane
17.2 Turn RIGHT (West) onto B3366 [Green Lane]
17.6 Turn LEFT (South) onto Green Lane, then immediately turn LEFT
(South) onto High Street
17.7 Turn LEFT (South) onto B376 [High Street]
17.9 At roundabout, take the THIRD exit onto B375 [Renfree Way]
18.6 Bear LEFT (West) onto B375 [Chertsey Road]
19.3 At roundabout, take the FIRST exit onto B375 [Chertsey Bridge Road]
19.6 Keep STRAIGHT onto B375 [Bridge Road]
19.9 Turn LEFT (South) onto B387 [Weir Road]
20.1 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Stepgates
20.3 Turn LEFT (South-West) onto Free Prae Road
20.5 Turn RIGHT (West) onto A317 [Eastworth Road]
20.8 Turn LEFT (South-West) onto Charles Street, then immediately turn
RIGHT (North-West) onto Station Road
20.9 Turn LEFT (South-West) onto Guildford Street
21 Road name changes to Guildford Road
21 Merge onto A320 [Bell Bridge Road]
21.1 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A320 [Guildford Road]
21.7 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto B386 [Holloway Hill]
22.3 Bear LEFT (South-West) onto Stonehill Road
25.1 Bear RIGHT (West) onto Old Chertsey Road
25.3 Keep STRAIGHT onto A319 [Chertsey Road]
26.3 Turn LEFT (South) onto A319 [High Street]
26.4 Bear LEFT (South) onto A3046 [High Street]
26.6 Keep STRAIGHT onto Castle Grove Road
26.9 Road name changes to Guildford Road
27.4 Road name changes to Chobham Road
29 Bear LEFT (South) onto A322 [Bagshot Road]
29.7 Bear RIGHT (South) onto Cemetery Pales
30.6 Road name changes to Local road(s)
30.7 Bear LEFT (South-West) onto Local road(s)
30.9 Bear LEFT (South) onto A324 [Guildford Road]
34.8 Turn RIGHT (West) onto A323 [Guildford Road]
36.4 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A323 [Aldershot Road]
36.8 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto Ramp
36.9 Merge onto A331
37.8 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto Ramp
38.3 Merge onto A31
39.4 Take Local road(s) (LEFT) onto A31 [Farnham By Pass]
40.8 Turn LEFT (South) onto Weydon Lane
41.7 Bear LEFT (South) onto A325 [Wrecclesham Road]
48.9 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A325 [Petersfield Road]
51 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto Local road(s)
51.1 Turn LEFT (South) onto Petersfield Road
52.2 Turn LEFT (South) onto B3006 [Petersfield Road]
52.6 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto B3006
53.3 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Hawkley Road
54.1 Turn LEFT (South) onto Local road(s)
55 Turn LEFT (South-East) onto Local road(s)
55.2 Keep STRAIGHT onto Mill Lane
56.5 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Church Road
56.7 Keep STRAIGHT onto Local road(s)
57.7 Road name changes to Ridge Common Lane
58 Turn RIGHT (West) onto A272 [Winchester Road]
58.3 Turn LEFT (South) onto Ramsdean Road
59.8 Turn LEFT (South) onto Local road(s)
59.8 Bear RIGHT (South) onto Local road(s)
59.8 Bear RIGHT (South-West) onto Local road(s)
60.1 Bear RIGHT (West) onto Local road(s)
60.9 Bear LEFT (West) onto Local road(s)
60.9 Bear LEFT (South) onto Local road(s)
61 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Local road(s)
61.5 Turn LEFT (South) onto Local road(s)
62.9 Keep LEFT onto Hyden Farm Lane
64.5 Bear RIGHT (West) onto Local road(s)
65.9 Bear LEFT (South-West) onto Local road(s)
66.4 Road name changes to East Street
66.7 Road name changes to West Street
67 Bear LEFT (South-West) onto B2150
67.5 Keep RIGHT onto Local road(s)
68.4 Bear RIGHT (South) onto Local road(s)
70 Bear LEFT (South) onto Shoot Hill
70.4 Bear RIGHT (South-West) onto Local road(s)
71.1 Turn LEFT (East) onto B2177
71.1 Turn RIGHT (South) onto Local road(s)
71.7 Turn RIGHT (West) onto Local road(s)
72.3 Turn RIGHT (South) onto Boarhunt Road
73.3 Turn LEFT (South) onto Local road(s)
73.5 Bear LEFT (South) onto Local road(s)
73.5 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A27
74.7 Keep LEFT onto Local road(s)
74.8 Merge onto A32 [Gosport Road]
75.3 Keep RIGHT onto B3385 [Newgate Lane]
77 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto B3385 [Broom Way]
77.3 Turn LEFT (East) onto Brune Lane
77.7 Arrive Lee on Solent [Brune Lane, Lee on the Solent]

--
Dave...

elyob
December 9th 05, 12:47 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi
>
> Having recently got rid of my very old, but lovely, Volvo 480 Turbo,
> I'm now thinking how I might get home to visit my parents for
> Christmas. They live in Lee-on-Solent, near Portsmouth. Volvo-wise, I'd
> just bomb down the A3. I really want to get down there on the bike this
> time.

Emma, a worthy trip no doubt! I would suggest avoiding the A3. As already
mentioned, it's a motorway, and you could sort out a great journey but would
take longer.

My experience of cycling next to the A3 is that the cars throw up an awful
amount of crud from the road. These are small bits that get stuck in your
eyes.

Also, it's bloody horrible, and car drivers won't welcome you.

Dave Kahn
December 9th 05, 08:19 AM
I wrote:

> ... you might want to plan to avoid such as the A4 and
> A316 in West London, but busy though they are they are nothing like the
> A3.

P.S. I regularly ride quite happily on both these roads, but many people
would advise you to avoid them. They do have cycle paths for much of
their length but using these is also a matter of personal choice.

--
Dave...

Steve Peake
December 9th 05, 08:23 AM
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 00:08:15 GMT, Dave Kahn wrote:

> 8.6 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A316 [Twickenham Road]
> 9.8 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A316 [Chertsey Road]

Lets make this clear, you will die on this road. This is the elevated
section and driving at the speed limit (50mph) you get very little time to
see and react to cyclists as you round the bends.

The correct route is:

Waterloo-Change Once-Fareham

Steve

Tony Raven
December 9th 05, 08:45 AM
wrote:

> But I can't find much about total routes on the internet.
>
> I reckon it's going to be 80-90 miles or so somehow.
>
> So, if I set off 7am, I should be able to arrive on the same day ...

In addition to all the other advice, consider a few bale out points to
train stations on the London-Portsmouth line. Then if weather or
stamina is against you on the day you can always ride part way and train
the rest.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Simon Brooke
December 9th 05, 10:00 AM
in message om>,
') wrote:

> Any ideas and why not just the A3 (not that I've seen a single cycle on
> it)?

I know nothing of this A3 of which you speak. There are some roads which
were once major routes but which, when they become superceded by a
parallel motorway, become quite pleasant. However, on the whole busy
motor roads are not enjoyable to cycle, and you can usually find a
minor-roads alternative which is not significantly longer.

The trick to this is to get route-planning software such as Autoroute,
and then tell it that your speed on main roads is significantly less
than your speed on minor roads. The only problem with this is that
Autoroute does not have an option to avoid hills.

As to whether you can do it, of course you can; but if it's your first
long solo trip I'd (a) take a mobile phone, and (b) have a plan for how
you'd get recovered if you got to the point where it was just no fun any
more.

Also - take plenty of carbohydrate in a form that is convenient and
palatable to you. Drink plenty, eat /before/ you're hungry.

;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately
;; 99% of users are using the 1% of browsers that can...
[seen on /. 08:04:02]

Dave Larrington
December 9th 05, 10:22 AM
In article om>,
) wrote:

> Any ideas and why not just the A3 (not that I've seen a single cycle on
> it)?

Echo what Dave Kahn said about the A3, I /have/ in the past ridden the
almost the entire length of it (Ripley - London and Guildford -
Portsmouth), but that was when I was young and foolish. Last Sunday's
200 took in a half-mile stretch of it just south of Hindhead and it was
the single most terrifying past of the day...

My other motto is in Latin.

dkahn400
December 9th 05, 10:27 AM
Steve Peake wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 00:08:15 GMT, Dave Kahn wrote:
>
> > 8.6 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A316 [Twickenham Road]
> > 9.8 At roundabout, take the SECOND exit onto A316 [Chertsey Road]
>
> Lets make this clear, you will die on this road. This is the elevated
> section and driving at the speed limit (50mph) you get very little time to
> see and react to cyclists as you round the bends.

I didn't die when I rode on it this morning. I prefer the elevated
section to negotiating the roundabouts underneath and I'm satisfied
that sight lines are adequate for motorists, a few of whom travel
within the speed limit. However, there are quieter alternatives.

Even I wouldn't ride on the A3.

> The correct route is:
>
> Waterloo-Change Once-Fareham

Emma asks for a cycling route and you send her by train? This is a
newsgroup for cyclists.

--
Dave...

David Martin
December 9th 05, 10:29 AM
Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article om>,
> ) wrote:
>
> > Any ideas and why not just the A3 (not that I've seen a single cycle on
> > it)?
>
> Echo what Dave Kahn said about the A3, I /have/ in the past ridden the
> almost the entire length of it (Ripley - London and Guildford -
> Portsmouth), but that was when I was young and foolish. Last Sunday's
> 200 took in a half-mile stretch of it just south of Hindhead and it was
> the single most terrifying past of the day...

Ditto. I used to ride it fairly regularly when I was young and foolish.
The most 'entertaining' part was from New Malden to the Hook underpass.
At the time it was a NSL (now a 50). It has fairly narrow lanes, is
unpleasant in a car, and to go on down the A3 from Hook you have to
pull into the middle lane as the nearside veers off. After that it is
not so nasty as there is a hard shoulder as far as Guildford (though
the M25 junction is entertaining).

There are better routes that will be more enjoyable and not placing so
much confidence in the ability of the motorists.

...d

dkahn400
December 9th 05, 10:30 AM
Tony Raven wrote:

> In addition to all the other advice, consider a few bale out points to
> train stations on the London-Portsmouth line. Then if weather or
> stamina is against you on the day you can always ride part way and train
> the rest.

That is good advice, as opposed to Steve's advice to bale out before
she's started. :-(

--
Dave...

MartinM
December 9th 05, 10:30 AM
dkahn400 wrote:

> Even I wouldn't ride on the A3.

what happened to the idea to put a tunnel under Hindhead so we could
ride over the top inna boyracer free stylee?

dkahn400
December 9th 05, 10:37 AM
Simon Brooke wrote:

> The trick to this is to get route-planning software such as Autoroute,
> and then tell it that your speed on main roads is significantly less
> than your speed on minor roads. The only problem with this is that
> Autoroute does not have an option to avoid hills.

Another problem with Autoroute, and part of the reason I advised Emma
to revise my generated route very carefully, is that some of its minor
roads don't actually exist, at least not quite where Autoroute says
they do. (Ask me how I know).

Also it has a terrible habit of saying things like "bear left for 20
yds, turn right for 10 yds, turn left" when what it means is "just keep
going, you're fine".

--
Dave...

Tony Raven
December 9th 05, 11:03 AM
dkahn400 wrote:

> Also it has a terrible habit of saying things like "bear left for 20
> yds, turn right for 10 yds, turn left" when what it means is "just keep
> going, you're fine".

The early version used to send me up the slip road of a motorway across
the roundabout and back on at some junctions (presumably because it
worked out it was a shorter route!)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

dkahn400
December 9th 05, 11:20 AM
Tony Raven wrote:

> The early version used to send me up the slip road of a motorway across
> the roundabout and back on at some junctions (presumably because it
> worked out it was a shorter route!)

.... or thought it was. On my failed Salcombe to Twickenham attempt this
year it sent me off a main road, had me turn right, turn right again,
then left when I rejoined the main road about 40 yards further along.
:-)

Sometimes the shortcuts it finds are amazing. At other times ...

--
Dave...

James Annan
December 9th 05, 11:46 AM
wrote:
> Hi
>
> Having recently got rid of my very old, but lovely, Volvo 480 Turbo,
> I'm now thinking how I might get home to visit my parents for
> Christmas. They live in Lee-on-Solent, near Portsmouth. Volvo-wise, I'd
> just bomb down the A3. I really want to get down there on the bike this
> time.
>
> Can I make it?

I hate to be a damp squid, but I'm not sure that I would recommend that
you choose this time of year for your first attempt at such a long ride.
Being out all day in likely cold and potentially wet conditions, with
limited light, can get a bit tough. Admittedly you are probably never
going to be far from civilisation and/or a train station.

A few years ago, we rode between parents/in-laws and back a couple of
times at Christmas/New Year. About 50-60 miles a day, 3 days each way
was plenty for us - admittedly we were a bit further north, with some
decent hills in the way. But we had been regularly cycling more than
that on single day rides.

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email

Chris Gerhard
December 9th 05, 11:59 AM
MartinM wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:
>

>> Even I wouldn't ride on the A3.
>
> what happened to the idea to put a tunnel under Hindhead so we could
> ride over the top inna boyracer free stylee?

It is very much still on. But the plan also is to remove the old road
leaving just a "bike track". It does not fill me with joy from a
cycling point of view.

--chris

MartinM
December 9th 05, 12:25 PM
Chris Gerhard wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > dkahn400 wrote:
> >

> >> Even I wouldn't ride on the A3.
> >
> > what happened to the idea to put a tunnel under Hindhead so we could
> > ride over the top inna boyracer free stylee?
> >

> It is very much still on. But the plan also is to remove the old road
> leaving just a "bike track". It does not fill me with joy from a
> cycling point of view.

no; bike tracks have a habit of becoming broken Bacardi Breezer bottle
etc Meccas; much like those puncture factory road narrowings with a
bike lane inside them.
I have only ever ridden down the Punchbowl once, at dawn on a 400k;
fantastic. I'm sure the trip would not be so memorable at any other
time.

Roos Eisma
December 9th 05, 12:38 PM
"dkahn400" > writes:

>Tony Raven wrote:

>> In addition to all the other advice, consider a few bale out points to
>> train stations on the London-Portsmouth line. Then if weather or
>> stamina is against you on the day you can always ride part way and train
>> the rest.

>That is good advice, as opposed to Steve's advice to bale out before
>she's started. :-(

I don't know the area at all, but is it an option to start off with a
short train journey to get out of the worst of the roads and continue on
nicer roads? It also makes the trip a bit shorter - it sounded as OP was a
bit worried about that as well.

Roos

David Martin
December 9th 05, 01:05 PM
Roos Eisma wrote:
> "dkahn400" > writes:
>
> >Tony Raven wrote:
>
> >> In addition to all the other advice, consider a few bale out points to
> >> train stations on the London-Portsmouth line. Then if weather or
> >> stamina is against you on the day you can always ride part way and train
> >> the rest.
>
> >That is good advice, as opposed to Steve's advice to bale out before
> >she's started. :-(
>
> I don't know the area at all, but is it an option to start off with a
> short train journey to get out of the worst of the roads and continue on
> nicer roads? It also makes the trip a bit shorter - it sounded as OP was a
> bit worried about that as well.

Deppends where she is starting from. Most of the route out past the M25
is on quiet (but non-flat!) roads to the east. Once past guildford
then you are off my turf but it doesn't look too bad from a route
finding point of view. It isn't flat though so it could be a long day.

It might well be worth aiming for Guildford via
Epsom/Leatherhead/Effingham (you can avoid the worst of the ToSH quite
easily) and then see how you feel. It will be the second half that
will be more interesting from a 'bail out' POV.

Alternatively, hop on the train to Guildford and ride through from
there.

...d

Adrian Boliston
December 9th 05, 01:10 PM
"David Martin" > wrote:

> Ditto. I used to ride it fairly regularly when I was young and
> foolish. The most 'entertaining' part was from New Malden to the Hook
> underpass. At the time it was a NSL (now a 50). It has fairly narrow
> lanes, is unpleasant in a car, and to go on down the A3 from Hook you
> have to pull into the middle lane as the nearside veers off. After
> that it is not so nasty as there is a hard shoulder as far as
> Guildford (though the M25 junction is entertaining).

Roads with "hard shoulders" are probably the worst for a cyclist as motorists
sometimes think they are "cycle lanes" and expect us to use them. What they don't
realise is that the surface is covered in glass and metal shards, as well as
ballast (small rocks) & cat eyes. I much prefer a traditional curbed road for
cycling.

David Martin
December 9th 05, 02:21 PM
Adrian Boliston wrote:
> "David Martin" > wrote:

> > Ditto. I used to ride it fairly regularly when I was young and
> > foolish. The most 'entertaining' part was from New Malden to the Hook
> > underpass. At the time it was a NSL (now a 50). It has fairly narrow
> > lanes, is unpleasant in a car, and to go on down the A3 from Hook you
> > have to pull into the middle lane as the nearside veers off. After
> > that it is not so nasty as there is a hard shoulder as far as
> > Guildford (though the M25 junction is entertaining).
>
> Roads with "hard shoulders" are probably the worst for a cyclist as motorists
> sometimes think they are "cycle lanes" and expect us to use them. What they don't
> realise is that the surface is covered in glass and metal shards, as well as
> ballast (small rocks) & cat eyes. I much prefer a traditional curbed road for
> cycling.

In this case it is motorway grade hard shoulders. Like normal but with
added lorry mudguards and other detritus.

...d

Martin
December 9th 05, 03:44 PM
wrote:
> Hi
>
> Having recently got rid of my very old, but lovely, Volvo 480 Turbo,
> I'm now thinking how I might get home to visit my parents for
> Christmas. They live in Lee-on-Solent, near Portsmouth. Volvo-wise, I'd
> just bomb down the A3. I really want to get down there on the bike this
> time.
>
> Can I make it?
>
> Well, I think, 'maybe just', in one long day but I'm not even sure how
> far it would be on the bike. I've cycled London-Brighton (2005) in six
> odd hours (my longest trip) and have done a fair few times (20 or so
> this year) the following, probably typical-Londoner rides, in three
> hours: gone to Richmond Park (11 miles), gone round 3 times (21 miles?)
> and come back (11 miles) so that's 45 miles or so.
>
> But I can't find much about total routes on the internet.
>
> I reckon it's going to be 80-90 miles or so somehow.
>
> So, if I set off 7am, I should be able to arrive on the same day ...
>
> Any ideas and why not just the A3 (not that I've seen a single cycle on
> it)?
>
> Emma
>
> PS Do not tell the parents!
Emma,
As one who has cycled from Portsmouth to London on a number of
occasions...

Bad news and good news...

Bad news. Do not cycle on the A3.

Good news. Take the following route -
1. A3 out of London to Clapham Common
2. A24 to Leatherhead
3. A246 to East Clandon
4. Over the top of the South Downs to the A25
5. A248 to just north of Godalming
6. A3100 to Milford
7. A286 to Haslemere
8. B2131 and B2070 to Petersfield
9. Stroud (A272) and back roads to East/West Meon and down to Fareham
on the A32

I have done and survived. I even enjoyed it!

Cheers,
Martin

Bertie Wiggins
December 9th 05, 04:54 PM
On 9 Dec 2005 07:44:52 -0800, "Martin" > wrote:

>Good news. Take the following route -
>1. A3 out of London to Clapham Common
>2. A24 to Leatherhead
>3. A246 to East Clandon
>4. Over the top of the South Downs to the A25
>5. A248 to just north of Godalming
>6. A3100 to Milford
>7. A286 to Haslemere
>8. B2131 and B2070 to Petersfield
>9. Stroud (A272) and back roads to East/West Meon and down to Fareham
>on the A32
>
>I have done and survived. I even enjoyed it!

That's pretty much the route my brother and I took when we cycled
London to Emsworth at the ages of 15 and 17 - except we bailed out at
Haslemere and took the train.

Tim Hall
December 9th 05, 11:55 PM
On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:59:47 +0000, Chris Gerhard
> wrote:

>MartinM wrote:
>> dkahn400 wrote:
>>

>>> Even I wouldn't ride on the A3.
>>
>> what happened to the idea to put a tunnel under Hindhead so we could
>> ride over the top inna boyracer free stylee?
>>

>It is very much still on. But the plan also is to remove the old road
>leaving just a "bike track". It does not fill me with joy from a
>cycling point of view.

Delayed, I believe, and a further (?) public enquiry in the pipeline.

Hmm, close:
<http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/a_roads/a3/hindhead/>

"The A3 Hindhead project is one of the schemes in the Targeted
Programme of Improvements in the Government's Ten Year Plan.

In the autumn of 2002, the Agency awarded a contract to design and
build the new road and its tunnels to Balfour Beatty Major Projects.
Formal proposals for the scheme were published in October 2003, and a
Public Inquiry into the proposals finished in February 2005. A
Government decision on the on report of the Inquiry Inspector is
expected in Summer 2005.

The expected start date for construction was originally in 2005/06 but
following a review of the programme and funding the main works are now
programmed to start in 2008/09. But it would be the Highways Agency
intention to make a start on advance works in 2007/8 subject to the
availability of funds."

Tim

ian henden
December 10th 05, 01:23 AM
"Roos Eisma" > wrote in message
> "dkahn400" > writes:
>
>>Tony Raven wrote:
>
>>> In addition to all the other advice, consider a few bale out points to
>>> train stations on the London-Portsmouth line. Then if weather or
>>> stamina is against you on the day you can always ride part way and train
>>> the rest.
>
>>That is good advice, as opposed to Steve's advice to bale out before
>>she's started. :-(
>
> I don't know the area at all, but is it an option to start off with a
> short train journey to get out of the worst of the roads and continue on
> nicer roads? It also makes the trip a bit shorter - it sounded as OP was a
> bit worried about that as well.
>
> Roos

Waterloo to Alton, then cycle down the A32 Meon Valley???

Tony Raven
December 10th 05, 08:06 AM
ian henden wrote:

> Waterloo to Alton, then cycle down the A32 Meon Valley???

That would be nice if it weren't for the long straight bits where cars
frequently go at 80+, often overtaking something coming the other way.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Mark Thompson
December 11th 05, 05:44 PM
> and have done a fair few times (20 or so
> this year) the following, probably typical-Londoner rides, in three
> hours: gone to Richmond Park (11 miles), gone round 3 times (21 miles?)
> and come back (11 miles) so that's 45 miles or so.

You've done 20 45mile cycle rides this year? 90 miles'll be no problem.
The weather and lack of light might make it less fun than during the
summer, but hey-ho.

The single most important thing to do is to let us know how it went, and
remember, the worse the ride the better the ride report. ;-)

Mark.

December 11th 05, 08:45 PM
Mark Thompson wrote:
> > and have done a fair few times (20 or so
> > this year) the following, probably typical-Londoner rides, in three
> > hours: gone to Richmond Park (11 miles), gone round 3 times (21 miles?)
> > and come back (11 miles) so that's 45 miles or so.
>
> You've done 20 45mile cycle rides this year? 90 miles'll be no problem.
> The weather and lack of light might make it less fun than during the
> summer, but hey-ho.
>
> The single most important thing to do is to let us know how it went, and
> remember, the worse the ride the better the ride report. ;-)

Thanks very much for all responses!

I've been having a good think about all of them, including Steve
Peake's, which, of course, is the most sensible! (At least I could take
the bike with me and do a few cycles over the Christmas period in that
area.)

I was in the mood for a challenge. But I'm not so sure anymore if it's
the right time of year.

I've decided just down the A3 is silly - it won't be enjoyable. I think
Tony's and Roo's ideas are both good. I might feel happier if I know I
can always get the train. Also, remembering the amount of time and how
clogged up it was when I cycled to Brighton starting at rush hour from
the centre of London, maybe I should do a 20 mile train journey first.

In fact, David's idea is quite good - it would still be a good ride and
I could save the all-day slog for when the days are longer and a little
warmer. In other words, I agree with James too.

And then there's Martin's route - I like it from stage 4 onwards! In
fact, Haslemere was one of the bale outs I was thinking of.

If it looks to be a bright sunny day, I think the best idea is to get
an early train out of London to get going, so starting the cycle proper
by 8am. That would mean I get the maximum daylight.

But after this weekend's rides, I've got a bit of a clothing question,
especially regarding the fact that I'll definitely be having a couple
of breaks.

Does covering the shoes actually work? It was probably about 4C today
and I could hardly feel my feet for most of the ride, and that's with
extremely thick socks - I think it's partly a circulation problem so
the shoe covers may not help anyway. I can face this for 2 hours but
not all day! If they are recommended, maybe I should treat myself to an
early present!

What do people do about sweat or condensation?! Today I was wearing a
long sleeved polypropylene running top, a long sleeved merino wool
thing and a windproof Altura top. That kept me warm enough. I can't
bear it, especially with the wind chill, without all those tops
protecting my chest and throat! Trouble is, every layer gets soaking
wet. Given this, I can't actually stop because, if I do, I get totally
frozen as all the moisture cools on me.

Well, thanks for taking the time to reply and, yes, I will write a
report if it happens (detailing all punctures, breaking spokes and
cramps)!

Emma

December 11th 05, 09:03 PM
Mark Thompson wrote:
> [...]

extremely thick socks - I think it's partly a circulation problem so
the shoe covers may not help anyway. I can face this for 2 hours but
not all day! If they are recommended, maybe I should treat myself to an
early present!

What do people do about sweat or condensation?! Today I was wearing a
long sleeved polypropylene running top, a long sleeved merino wool
thing and a windproof Altura top. That kept me warm enough. I can't
bear it, especially with the wind chill, without all those tops
protecting my chest and throat! Trouble is, every layer gets soaking
wet. Given this, I can't actually stop because, if I do, I get totally
frozen as all the moisture cools on me.

Well, thanks for taking the time to reply and, yes, I will write a
report if it happens (detailing all punctures, breaking spokes and

December 11th 05, 09:25 PM
wrote:

> In fact, David's idea is quite good - it would still be a good ride and
> I could save the all-day slog for when the days are longer and a little
> warmer. In other words, I agree with James too.

You also get the incentive of having committed to the ride when you get
off the train. And if the weather is foul you can stay on the train.

> But after this weekend's rides, I've got a bit of a clothing question,
> especially regarding the fact that I'll definitely be having a couple
> of breaks.
>
> Does covering the shoes actually work? It was probably about 4C today
> and I could hardly feel my feet for most of the ride, and that's with
> extremely thick socks - I think it's partly a circulation problem so
> the shoe covers may not help anyway.

Yes, and thick socks don't help, they'll limit the circulation. Shoe
covers really do help. Medium weight wool blend socks are excellent.

> I can face this for 2 hours but
> not all day! If they are recommended, maybe I should treat myself to an
> early present!
Yes, and at each cafe stop take your shoes off.

> What do people do about sweat or condensation?! Today I was wearing a
> long sleeved polypropylene running top, a long sleeved merino wool
> thing and a windproof Altura top. That kept me warm enough. I can't
> bear it, especially with the wind chill, without all those tops
> protecting my chest and throat! Trouble is, every layer gets soaking
> wet. Given this, I can't actually stop because, if I do, I get totally
> frozen as all the moisture cools on me.

Wear one less layer when moving. When you stop, put on a warm jumper
etc. from your pannier/saddlebag. Take it off when you start off again.

...d

David Martin
December 11th 05, 09:29 PM
David Martin wrote:
> Yes, and at each cafe stop take your shoes off.

Should mention that it also helps at a cafe stop to nip into the loos
and wash off the worst of the sweat and grime. Given the distance, and
the likelihood of having only one cafe stop, you might want to change
into a dry shirt at half way. Does wonders for the mental stamina.

...d

Simon Brooke
December 11th 05, 10:11 PM
in message om>,
') wrote:

> Does covering the shoes actually work? It was probably about 4C today
> and I could hardly feel my feet for most of the ride, and that's with
> extremely thick socks - I think it's partly a circulation problem so
> the shoe covers may not help anyway. I can face this for 2 hours but
> not all day! If they are recommended, maybe I should treat myself to an
> early present!

Yes, overboots do work. You can get both waterproof ones and thermal ones
(as well as ones which are simply aerodynamic which is /not/ the kind
you want). However, in my experience winter cycling boots work better -
several brands have been recommended in a recent thread.

> What do people do about sweat or condensation?! Today I was wearing a
> long sleeved polypropylene running top, a long sleeved merino wool
> thing and a windproof Altura top. That kept me warm enough. I can't
> bear it, especially with the wind chill, without all those tops
> protecting my chest and throat! Trouble is, every layer gets soaking
> wet. Given this, I can't actually stop because, if I do, I get totally
> frozen as all the moisture cools on me.

Breathable is more important than waterproof when cycling briskly, except
in real downpours. Winter cycling tops often have very breathable backs
and windproof fronts. For depth of winter trips I wear long roubaix
tights, a merino vest, a winter weight cycling jersey, and a light
windproof gilet. The gilet can be opened or even taken off if you get
too warm. Oh - and buffs (plural) which can be worn at the neck or on
the head. The neck and head between them account for a huge proportion
of heat loss, so being able to adjust insulation here makes a big
difference.

If the weather forecast is for rain I would let the train take the
strain.

; ... of course nothing said here will be taken notice of by
; the W3C. The official place to be ignored is on www-style or
; www-html. -- George Lund

James Annan
December 11th 05, 11:15 PM
wrote:

> If it looks to be a bright sunny day, I think the best idea is to get
> an early train out of London to get going, so starting the cycle proper
> by 8am. That would mean I get the maximum daylight.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to start with the bike ride and have
one or more bail-out points planned in the second half of the ride. That
way you _definitely_ get the most of the daylight, without having to get
up at stupid o'clock. And you can also ride further if things are going
well. But that suggestion is made with no knowledge of the roads and
geography.

> Does covering the shoes actually work?

Yes but you still might get cold feet if it's cold enough.

> What do people do about sweat or condensation?!

I rarely wear more than a single wicking layer on my upper body with a
pertext windshirt on top. But bibshorts and bibtights adds quite a lot
of warmth. I have occasionally worn a fleece, goretex coat, balaclava
and mitts but only when it's substantially below zero.

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email
http://julesandjames.blogspot.com/

Dave Larrington
December 12th 05, 11:42 AM
In article . com>,
MartinM ) wrote:

> I have only ever ridden down the Punchbowl once, at dawn on a 400k;
> fantastic. I'm sure the trip would not be so memorable at any other
> time.

I did so on a fully-laden tourer, after a sleepless night on a ferry
back from Saint-Malo in 1982. The plezh of hurtling down at breakneck
speed was tempered by the thought of the forthcoming ascent of the Hogs
Back though.

We had ridden from Guildford to Portsmouth down the A3 two and a half
weeks earlier, and I overtook a coach at the top of the Punchbowl,
surprising both the coach driver and myself...

Apparently Guy has now got a Brompton. I'd never have guessed.

Chris Gerhard
December 12th 05, 12:26 PM
MartinM wrote:
> I have only ever ridden down the Punchbowl once, at dawn on a 400k;
> fantastic. I'm sure the trip would not be so memorable at any other
> time.

We ride it quite regularly (that is once or twice a year) and the
descent is great. Going around the bowl the road is wide enough to be
not so bad. Then when we start really going down hill we are
going to fast to be over taken until the dual carriage way starts. Then
we take the next turning and back via more pleasant roads.

That is what concerns me about it's demise, it will remove any practical
way to ride back from the National Trust Cafe without adding many miles
to the journey or risk the bike track which no doubt will be covered in
glass with peds and dogs.

--chris

December 17th 05, 06:05 PM
wrote:
> [...]
> extremely thick socks - I think it's partly a circulation problem so
> the shoe covers may not help anyway. I can face this for 2 hours but
> not all day! If they are recommended, maybe I should treat myself to an
> early present!
>
> What do people do about sweat or condensation?! Today I was wearing a
> long sleeved polypropylene running top, a long sleeved merino wool
> thing and a windproof Altura top. That kept me warm enough. I can't
> bear it, especially with the wind chill, without all those tops
> protecting my chest and throat! Trouble is, every layer gets soaking
> wet. Given this, I can't actually stop because, if I do, I get totally
> frozen as all the moisture cools on me.
>
> Well, thanks for taking the time to reply and, yes, I will write a
> report if it happens (detailing all punctures, breaking spokes and

Just talking to myself here: over the last week, I've done 3 x 30, 1 x
45 and 25 miles today just for a little practice before my
London-Portsmouth journey. I've learnt that I really had far far too
much on before and, even though the situation isn't as bad - now that
I'm wearing a correct amount of clothing, I take a dry spare top for
the way home.

But I don't think I'm doing the ride - at the end of today's ride which
was quite cold I may have stretched incorrectly or something but
there's suddenly a couple-of-peas-sitting-next-to-each-other sized lump
sitting at the base of one side of my right calf muscle. What the hell
is it? I am aware of it constantly now because it's vaguely throbbing
and the calf feels 'different'. It's a bit worrying. I'm trying to look
it up but it doesn't sound one of the usual type of calf problems!
Great - I hope I haven't messed anything up with this enthusiastic
week.

So, current idea, I'll take the bike down with me on the train and if
my calf hasn't putrified, I'll investigate some Hampshire countryside.

Emma

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home