PDA

View Full Version : For gooserider - Hows the Ibex?

Ken M
December 12th 05, 05:15 PM
The bike bug is biting again. I have been checking into Ibex. Saw a
couple of old threads about your experience with one. How is it holding
up? I might want one of the "classic" models. Just for my fitness rides,
rather than my hybrid.

Ken
--
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

Gooserider
December 13th 05, 12:41 AM
"Ken M" > wrote in message
> The bike bug is biting again. I have been checking into Ibex. Saw a couple
> of old threads about your experience with one. How is it holding up? I
> might want one of the "classic" models. Just for my fitness rides, rather
> than my hybrid.
>
> Ken

I bought the Corrida CT 2.2 a couple of years ago on clearance, much like
Ibex is doing now. I got it for $299 and it's the best bike purchase I've
made. Shimano derailleurs(low end), Tektro mini-V brakes, rack and fender
eyelets. I have a lot of miles on it. I don't know exactly how much but
probably 1500. I'm on my second set of tires, the stock tires sucked. Conti
Tourings are much better. It's my beater/grocery getter and it gets rough
treatment. I take it off road through the cemetary, ride it in the rain, and
lock it to racks. It's not flashy and nobody knows what an Ibex is anyway,
not real worried about theft. I do like it. I didn't mount fenders because
they don't fit with the mini-Vs and I don't want to mess with splitting a
fender. They should have specced a good cantilever instead, or a long reach
sidepull. Heck, even a disc. I wish it were steel, and the one I bought is a
50cm. I needed a 52, so I have a tall riser stem on it and it looks kind of
dorky. Again, theft deterrence. :-)

Tom Keats
December 13th 05, 01:01 AM
In article >,
"Gooserider" > writes:

> I didn't mount fenders because
> they don't fit with the mini-Vs and I don't want to mess with splitting a
> fender. They should have specced a good cantilever instead, or a long reach
> sidepull.

I uttered the same gripe to my across-the-lane-neighbour/bike-shop-guy.
He told me he just puts little holes in the fenders to run the
inner cables through. I imagine he'd still have to spread the brake
arms wide enough to surround the fenders without squeezing them, and
then maybe experiment a little with the spacers on threaded-post
brake pads.

Anyway I have to agree with you -- old style cantis are much more
fender friendly. I'd rather not have to immediately perform
surgery on a brand new set of fenders, even if it's just making a
few tiny holes.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Gooserider
December 15th 05, 02:52 AM
"Tom Keats" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Gooserider" > writes:
>
>> I didn't mount fenders because
>> they don't fit with the mini-Vs and I don't want to mess with splitting a
>> fender. They should have specced a good cantilever instead, or a long
>> reach
>> sidepull.
>
> I uttered the same gripe to my across-the-lane-neighbour/bike-shop-guy.
> He told me he just puts little holes in the fenders to run the
> inner cables through. I imagine he'd still have to spread the brake
> arms wide enough to surround the fenders without squeezing them, and
> then maybe experiment a little with the spacers on threaded-post
> brake pads.
>
> Anyway I have to agree with you -- old style cantis are much more
> fender friendly. I'd rather not have to immediately perform
> surgery on a brand new set of fenders, even if it's just making a
> few tiny holes.

Cantilevers can stop as good or better than sidepulls or V-brakes,
especially a modern design. Not as cool, I guess. The brakes are the only
thing I don't like about the Ibex. I see Ibex is running a sale on the
Corrida with disc brakes now. Nice bike.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home