PDA

View Full Version : "Share the road" signs -- who are we telling to share the road?

Matt O'Toole
December 14th 05, 08:42 PM
I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
(bicyclists or motorists).

Matt O.

Neil Brooks
December 14th 05, 08:51 PM
Matt O'Toole > wrote:

>I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
>they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
>(bicyclists or motorists).

Either way....
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

Ken M
December 14th 05, 08:57 PM
Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
> they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
> (bicyclists or motorists).
>
> Matt O.

I believe they are directed towards the MV's.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

gds
December 14th 05, 09:00 PM
Neil Brooks wrote:
> Matt O'Toole > wrote:
>
> >I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
> >they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
> >(bicyclists or motorists).
>
> Either way....
> --

Yes, that would seem to be what share means.

December 14th 05, 09:18 PM
Matt O'Toole writes:

> I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
> they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
> (bicyclists or motorists).

Since they are one and the same, but live lives like Jekyll and Hyde,
they are to the same person in different disguise. Just the same, I
believe it is the Mr. Hyde who is being addressed. When in his car,
he believes his mission has greater importance than some jerk plying
with his bicycle on his highway. Some of these drivers even have a
couple of bicycles on their darkened window jacked up black SUV's.

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/6.1.html

Jobst Brandt

Matt O'Toole
December 15th 05, 01:07 AM
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:51:11 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:

> Matt O'Toole > wrote:
>
>>I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
>>they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
>>(bicyclists or motorists).
>
> Either way....

And you think that's right?

Matt O.

Neil Brooks
December 15th 05, 02:52 AM
Matt O'Toole > wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:51:11 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:
>
>> Matt O'Toole > wrote:
>>
>>>I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
>>>they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
>>>(bicyclists or motorists).
>>
>> Either way....
>
>And you think that's right?

I'm ok with it.

Each really does need to watch for the other. Neither should rely on
the other to do all the accommodating ... despite the overwhelming
lethality of one relative to the other.

My $0.02
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

Mike Kruger
December 15th 05, 03:38 AM
"Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message
g...
>I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
> they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
> (bicyclists or motorists).

They are telling the other guy to share. I'm already perfect ;)

December 15th 05, 03:57 AM
Absolutly!!! I think the sign should show an overhead view of a car
following a bicycle between lanes stripes, solid right and dashed left,
sort of like a 'right lane ends' sign.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
> they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
> (bicyclists or motorists).
>
> Matt O.

Chris Z The Wheelman
December 15th 05, 05:33 AM
Here in South Cackalacky the signs are a bright day-glo chartruse, very
hard not to notice. I find drivers very courteous here. Then again, I do
most of my riding out on country roads. From what I hear from other
cyclists who are unfortunate enough to have to ride in the cities, it's
not as nice there.

Don't know myself SC cities are worse than in El Lay, but I see no
reason to find out either.

- -
These comments compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Matt O'Toole
December 15th 05, 07:31 PM
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 03:38:59 +0000, Mike Kruger wrote:

> "Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message

> g...

>>I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
>> they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
>> (bicyclists or motorists).

> They are telling the other guy to share. I'm already perfect ;)

Bingo!

Matt O.

The Wogster
December 15th 05, 10:35 PM
Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
> they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
> (bicyclists or motorists).

Well, how about everyone? Everybody must share, and everybody is guilty
of failing to do so, at least once in a while. However, for city
engineers, keep them to the minimum, having a sign every 3.475m simply
makes them so common, that people forget the meaning of the sign.

Wayne Pein
December 15th 05, 11:38 PM
Here's what I think of them.

http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/Share_Road.pdf

Wayne

Fred
December 16th 05, 06:17 AM
"Wayne Pein" > wrote in message
> Here's what I think of them.
>
> http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/Share_Road.pdf
>
> Wayne

I really like the co-exist and the SAFE signs!

Fred
December 16th 05, 06:23 AM
"Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message
g...
>I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs. I think
> they're too ambiguous about whom they're telling to share the road
> (bicyclists or motorists).
>
> Matt O.

Personally I feel they encourage motorists too much. Motorists are not
aware of the reasons I may be found riding farther to the left of the fog
line than they believe is appropriate. Some of them will buzz extra close
trying to push me over. It should say "Cyclists on road, pass only when
safe". Even just "Cyclists on road" is better than "Share the road".

Wayne Pein
December 16th 05, 07:28 PM
Fred wrote:
> Personally I feel they encourage motorists too much. Motorists are not
> aware of the reasons I may be found riding farther to the left of the fog
> line than they believe is appropriate. Some of them will buzz extra close
> trying to push me over. It should say "Cyclists on road, pass only when
> safe". Even just "Cyclists on road" is better than "Share the road".

Yes. Even the bicycle symbol by itself without extra wording is better.
My wife and I have been yelled at to "Share the Road" by motorists who
felt we were not riding far enough to the right (even though we were
right of center). I suppose they think "Share the Road" means bicyclists
ought to teeter on the edge for motorists' convenience.

Wayne

Wayne Pein
December 16th 05, 07:38 PM
Fred wrote:

> "Wayne Pein" > wrote in message
>
>>Here's what I think of them.
>>
>>http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/Share_Road.pdf
>>
>>Wayne
>>

> I really like the co-exist and the SAFE signs!

Thanks.

Wayne

December 16th 05, 07:59 PM
Fred wrote in part:

> Personally I feel they encourage motorists too much. Motorists are not
> aware of the reasons I may be found riding farther to the left of the fog
> line than they believe is appropriate. Some of them will buzz extra close
> trying to push me over. ...

Hold on a second here. Weren't you just claiming in another thread that
you get buzzed by cars when riding to the right, but not while 'taking
the lane?' Sounds like you need to get your story straight.

Robert

Fritz M
December 16th 05, 11:59 PM
Matt O'Toole wrote:
> I wonder what everyone thinks about "share the road" signs.

Here's an innovative "Own the Road" sign in St. Louis.

http://www.mobikefed.org/files/stlouis-own-the-road-sign.jpg

RFM

December 17th 05, 06:35 PM
> wrote:
> Absolutly!!! I think the sign should show an overhead view of a car
> following a bicycle between lanes stripes, solid right and dashed left,
> sort of like a 'right lane ends' sign.

The bumper sticker I got (from the Bicycle Coalition of Maine) has the
words "share the road" along with graphics of a car and a bike. Simple
and clear enough for me.

Bill

| God says, "Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours." |
| --Ann Coulter |

Terry Morse
December 17th 05, 09:41 PM
> wrote:

> The bumper sticker I got (from the Bicycle Coalition of Maine) has the
> words "share the road" along with graphics of a car and a bike. Simple
> and clear enough for me.

I think the problem is that some drivers interpret "share the road"
signs to mean "share the lane". When a motorist can't pass a bicycle
without getting out of the lane, motorist gets angry at the cyclist
for failing to "share the road".

Some drivers, not all drivers.
--
terry morse
Undiscovered Country Tours

December 27th 05, 04:05 PM
> I think the problem is that some drivers interpret "share the road"
> signs to mean "share the lane". When a motorist can't pass a bicycle
> without getting out of the lane, motorist gets angry at the cyclist
> for failing to "share the road".
>
> Some drivers, not all drivers.

I'm upset with any vehicle that can't go the speed limit. If you can
keep you bike up to 75mph I have no problem with you. Otherwise keep
it to the shoulder or a road with a shoulder.

Eric

DD
December 27th 05, 04:59 PM
wrote:
> I'm upset with any vehicle that can't go the speed limit. If you can
> keep you bike up to 75mph I have no problem with you. Otherwise keep
> it to the shoulder or a road with a shoulder.
>
> Eric

Or maybe the answer, especially in the above, is to lower the speed
limit to the lowest common demoninator. Hell, this might even save
motorists' lives.
You will find that where such campaigns as 'share the road' don't
succeed other changes of a more remedial nature will be mandated. 'Share
the Road' as applied in Australia was never directed at any one mode of
road user. This had to be backed up by other campaigns, law changes and
penalties and guess what, none of these featured drunk, speeding
cyclists or cyclists riding long distances without taking a break. Nor
were trucks or squirrels targeted. So expect more.

(as to what, my lips are sealed)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home