PDA

View Full Version : Hit and run driver kills cyclist -- follow-up

Claire
December 14th 05, 09:18 PM
You may remember this post from October:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/browse_frm/thread/863a2e6590667d5e/5405d6fc9fe63b32?q=alef&rnum=1#5405d6fc9fe63b32
or http://tinyurl.com/dm226

---
Here is a letter from the victim's son:

As most of you know, my mother Gail passed away in October as the
result of injuries sustained in a bicycle/car collision involving a hit
and run driver. The loss of a parent is certainly challenging under the
best of conditions, but this particular experience has been
particularly fraught with challenge given the circumstances.
Fortunately I've had amazing support from friends, family,
acquaintances, coworkers, and people that just sympathized. Thank you
all.

Yesterday would have been my mother's 55th birthday. Yesterday there
was a bail hearing for Mr. Reidel, the gentleman accused of driving the
vehicle that hit my mother, leaving the scene without any offer of
assistance, and attempting to disguise his appearance while he was
being apprehended a few blocks from the scene. Unfortunately the
outcome of that hearing was quite disappointing given that Mr. Reidel
has already attempted to flee once: he was released to home confinement
on his own recognizance. Clearly I'm disappointed with this decision to
release Mr. Reidel from custody and I expected more from the court
given the preponderance of evidence against Mr. Reidel and the
prosecutors request of $100,000 bail.

Obviously I feel quite passionate about this and my comments for the
court probably aren't appropriate for broad distribution. However,
seeing that many of you are cyclist and otherwise concerned citizens, I
thought I would distribute the information necessary to make it easy to
provide your own feedback on this decision to the presiding judge in
this case (People vs. Steven Reidel).

Ronald Kessler
Chief Criminal Judge
King County Courthouse
516 Third Ave Rm 203
Seattle, WA 98104

http://directory.metrokc.gov/EmployeeDetail.asp?EmpID=4914

Judge Kessler's supervisor:

Richard D. Eadie
Presiding Judge
King County Courthouse
516 Third Ave Rm 203
Seattle, WA 98104

http://directory.metrokc.gov/EmployeeDetail.asp?EmpID=36034

Thanks!

Chris Alef

---

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Ken M
December 14th 05, 09:51 PM
Claire wrote:
> You may remember this post from October:
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.misc/browse_frm/thread/863a2e6590667d5e/5405d6fc9fe63b32?q=alef&rnum=1#5405d6fc9fe63b32
> or http://tinyurl.com/dm226

I must have missed that post, hopefully the vehicular homicide charge
carries more than a one year jail sentence like Jim Prices' killer will
receive.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home