PDA

View Full Version : Schools out and Trolls are about

Tony Raven
December 15th 05, 10:47 AM
The newsgroup seems to be filling up with troll wrestling at the moment
now that schools out and TrollB seemingly has more time on his hands to
go about his trolling. Remember the first rule of troll wrestling is
that your wrestling is the reaction they are hoping for as wrestling is
what they enjoy most.
--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

wafflycat
December 15th 05, 10:53 AM
"Tony Raven" > wrote in message
> The newsgroup seems to be filling up with troll wrestling at the moment
> now that schools out and TrollB seemingly has more time on his hands to go
> about his trolling. Remember the first rule of troll wrestling is that
> your wrestling is the reaction they are hoping for as wrestling is what
> they enjoy most.

Indeedeee. Kill-files are a wonderful invention :)

Cheers, helen s

Matt B
December 15th 05, 11:04 AM
Tony Raven wrote:
> The newsgroup seems to be filling up with troll wrestling at the moment
> now that schools out

I think you'll find the schools are still open in most places, so much
for that theory then.

> and TrollB seemingly has more time on his hands to
> go about his trolling.

You may resent opinions which challenge your closed, parochial,
preconceptions, but please do not seek to suppress free speech here.

> Remember the first rule of troll wrestling is
> that your wrestling is the reaction they are hoping for as wrestling is
> what they enjoy most.

That's as maybe - but do not insult us by pretending you know why /I'm/
here.

--
Matt B

Nobody Here
December 15th 05, 12:18 PM
Matt B > wrote:
> That's as maybe - but do not insult us by pretending you know why /I'm/
> here.

The use of the word "us" implies you are part of a group that shares come
sort of consensus or common ground with you. That is not the case. No
one here apparently has any respect what so ever for your views, you
have received no support, and you are universally regarded as a troll
at best and a dangerous speedophile apologist troll at worst.

The only "us" here does not include you. Indeed, there might be several
groups of "us"es here, none of which include you.

--
Nobby

davek
December 15th 05, 12:28 PM
Tony Raven wrote:
> Remember the first rule of troll wrestling is
> that your wrestling is the reaction they are hoping for as wrestling is
> what they enjoy most.

My only problem with that is that usenet postings are archived for
posterity. If the crap posted by that **** goes unchallenged, it might
be read by impressionable minds at some point with disastrous
consequences.

d.

James Annan
December 15th 05, 12:42 PM
davek wrote:

> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>> Remember the first rule of troll wrestling is
>>that your wrestling is the reaction they are hoping for as wrestling is
>>what they enjoy most.
>

> My only problem with that is that usenet postings are archived for
> posterity. If the crap posted by that **** goes unchallenged, it might
> be read by impressionable minds at some point with disastrous
> consequences.

Anyone who believes what they read on usenet has probably already been
locked up for their own safety anyway.

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email

Matt B
December 15th 05, 01:01 PM
Nobody Here wrote:
> Matt B > wrote:
>
>>That's as maybe - but do not insult us by pretending you know why /I'm/
>>here.
>
> The use of the word "us" implies you are part of a group that shares come
> sort of consensus or common ground with you. That is not the case.

Not in your narrow world maybe.

> No
> one here apparently has any respect what so ever for your views, you
> have received no support,

Which is the /only/ reason I visit here. Do I need to persuade those
already enlightened?

> and you are universally regarded as a troll
> at best

That is their only explanation for such "extreme" views.

> and a dangerous speedophile apologist troll at worst.

Only by the ignorant.

> The only "us" here does not include you.

Precisely.

> Indeed, there might be several
> groups of "us"es here, none of which include you.

Yes, even the opposition isn't united ;-)

--
Matt B

Jon Senior
December 15th 05, 01:04 PM
James Annan wrote:
> Anyone who believes what they read on usenet has probably already been
> locked up for their own safety anyway.

Is that true? ;-)

Jon

MartinM
December 15th 05, 01:14 PM
It's always school hols over on uk.rec.subterranea

davek
December 15th 05, 02:07 PM
James Annan wrote:
> Anyone who believes what they read on usenet has probably already been
> locked up for their own safety anyway.

I don't know - maybe usenet is in itself some subtle form of care in
the community. I mean, while MattB is sitting in his bedroom posting
his drivel to URC, at least he is off the streets.

d.

Tosspot
December 15th 05, 03:08 PM
Nobody Here wrote:
> Matt B > wrote:
>
>>That's as maybe - but do not insult us by pretending you know why /I'm/
>>here.
>

> The use of the word "us" implies you are part of a group that shares come
> sort of consensus or common ground with you. That is not the case. No
> one here apparently has any respect what so ever for your views, you
> have received no support, and you are universally regarded as a troll
> at best and a dangerous speedophile apologist troll at worst.

Then wtf do so many people answer and discourse with him? Some of the
longest running threads recently have been MattB threads.

I'm not a big fan of the kf but it has its place and a few select people
reside in mine, and yes, sticking your fingers in your ears going 'la la
la', does make for a quieter, more peaceful life.

<snip>

Brendan Halpin
December 15th 05, 03:32 PM
Tosspot > writes:

> I'm not a big fan of the kf but it has its place and a few select
> people reside in mine, and yes, sticking your fingers in your ears
> going 'la la la', does make for a quieter, more peaceful life.

The same phenomenon has encouraged me to learn more about Gnus's
"score files", which allow you to raise or lower the score of an
individual, e-mail address, subject, thread, etc, using exact or
regexp matching. So now I don't see MattB (or anything from
cycleforums), and can kill any threads he participates in, while
still seeing contributions from those few individuals I have
positively scored.

Cool functionality especially in a high volume group, if a little
hard to figure out.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

The Luggage
December 15th 05, 04:01 PM
MartinM wrote:
> It's always school hols over on uk.rec.subterranea

And it's always Friday afternoon on cam.misc

The Luggage

MartinM
December 15th 05, 04:12 PM
davek wrote:
> James Annan wrote:
> > Anyone who believes what they read on usenet has probably already been
> > locked up for their own safety anyway.
>
> I don't know - maybe usenet is in itself some subtle form of care in
> the community. I mean, while MattB is sitting in his bedroom posting
> his drivel to URC, at least he is off the streets.

he could be sitting in his car doing it on wifi; actually that's got me
thinking, why is it OK to watch a little GPS thingy from the driver's
seat but not a TV?

davek
December 15th 05, 04:27 PM
I got a TomTom recently and so have been giving this matter much
thought. But it's not such a big deal - the occasional furtive glance
is all that is required. And in fact you don't really have to look at
the screen at all because it vocally alerts you to every direction
point. All in all, a nifty bit of kit.

d.

Sandy Morton
December 15th 05, 04:55 PM
In article om>,
davek > wrote:
> And in fact you don't really have to look at the screen at all
> because it vocally alerts you to every direction point. All in all,
> a nifty bit of kit.

Very nifty - but - I don't like it when she gives you a row for
taking a wrong turning :-((

--
T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

davek
December 15th 05, 05:12 PM
Sandy Morton wrote:
> Very nifty - but - I don't like it when she gives you a row for
> taking a wrong turning :-((

That's only if you have it set to the man's voice. If you set it to the
woman's voice it just goes all sullen and quiet, then later on when you
are well and truly lost it just says: "Happy now?"

Apparently, you can download John Cleese's voice for it, but I'm not
sure I want my TomTom getting out and whacking the car with a large
branch when it breaks down.

d.

Tony Raven
December 15th 05, 05:42 PM
davek wrote:

> My only problem with that is that usenet postings are archived for
> posterity. If the crap posted by that **** goes unchallenged, it might
> be read by impressionable minds at some point with disastrous
> consequences.

And which do you think is more likely to be ignored by posterity? A
single post all on its own with no replies or a sodding great long
thread which invites the OP to post and repost the same drivel? The
best way to kill it is to starve it of oxygen.

And any impressionable minds that find any of this on Usenet will be so
totally utterly confused by all the conflicting views of Usenet their
impressionable minds won't have a clue what to think.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

MartinM
December 15th 05, 05:49 PM
Tony Raven wrote:
> davek wrote:
> >
> > My only problem with that is that usenet postings are archived for
> > posterity. If the crap posted by that **** goes unchallenged, it might
> > be read by impressionable minds at some point with disastrous
> > consequences.
> >

> And which do you think is more likely to be ignored by posterity? A
> single post all on its own with no replies or a sodding great long
> thread which invites the OP to post and repost the same drivel? The
> best way to kill it is to starve it of oxygen.
>
> And any impressionable minds that find any of this on Usenet will be so
> totally utterly confused by all the conflicting views of Usenet their
> impressionable minds won't have a clue what to think.

well a quick look at urc on google groups (which is all I have)
reveals;

Schools out and Trolls are about 18 new of 18 Tony Raven (12 authors)
5:42pm
Number plates for pedal cycles 184 new of 184 Matt B (44 authors)
5:27pm
OT: Speed camera folly confirmed 33 new of 33 Alistair Gunn (12
authors) 4:51pm
Provocative debate - only for the open-minded!

as the 4 most active topics, anyone would think it's the middle of
winter, why aren't you all out on your bikes?

Matt B
December 15th 05, 05:55 PM
Tony Raven wrote:
> davek wrote:
>
>> My only problem with that is that usenet postings are archived for
>> posterity. If the crap posted by that **** goes unchallenged, it might
>> be read by impressionable minds at some point with disastrous
>> consequences.
>
> And which do you think is more likely to be ignored by posterity? A
> single post all on its own with no replies or a sodding great long
> thread which invites the OP to post and repost the same drivel? The
> best way to kill it is to starve it of oxygen.

How very open minded.

> And any impressionable minds that find any of this on Usenet will be so
> totally utterly confused by all the conflicting views of Usenet their
> impressionable minds won't have a clue what to think.

Conflicting views? How terrible, lets suppress them all now in case
someone is influenced!

If ever there was a poster deserving to be kf'd I think the OP of this
is that case.

--
Matt B

MartinM
December 15th 05, 05:57 PM
davek wrote:
> Sandy Morton wrote:
> > Very nifty - but - I don't like it when she gives you a row for
> > taking a wrong turning :-((
>
> That's only if you have it set to the man's voice. If you set it to the
> woman's voice it just goes all sullen and quiet, then later on when you
> are well and truly lost it just says: "Happy now?"
>
> Apparently, you can download John Cleese's voice for it,

and Homer Simpson (as I found out whilst sharing a car to a junior
kickball match) I was ready to commit mass murder by the end of the
journey

Simon Brooke
December 15th 05, 07:46 PM
in message >, Brendan Halpin
') wrote:

> Tosspot > writes:
>
>> I'm not a big fan of the kf but it has its place and a few select
>> people reside in mine, and yes, sticking your fingers in your ears
>> going 'la la la', does make for a quieter, more peaceful life.
>
> The same phenomenon has encouraged me to learn more about Gnus's
> "score files", which allow you to raise or lower the score of an
> individual, e-mail address, subject, thread, etc, using exact or
> regexp matching. So now I don't see MattB (or anything from
> cycleforums), and can kill any threads he participates in, while
> still seeing contributions from those few individuals I have
> positively scored.

I've moved from Gnus to KNode; it also has good, sophisticated scoring,
but the user interface to the scoring system is... on a par with the GNU
user interfaces we know and love.

Morning had broken, and we had run out of gas for the welding torch.

Peter Keller
December 16th 05, 12:23 AM
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:47:36 +0000, Tony Raven wrote:

> The newsgroup seems to be filling up with troll wrestling at the moment
> now that schools out and TrollB seemingly has more time on his hands to
> go about his trolling. Remember the first rule of troll wrestling is
> that your wrestling is the reaction they are hoping for as wrestling is
> what they enjoy most.

Which means, I think, that we should dust off some of our recipes for
cooking them. Admittedly, they are rather tough, so the preparation and
cooking process will be long and drawn out -- And I do believe that they
finish up more tender if they can be kept alive for as long as possible
during the process.
Might I suggest, for starters, a partial hanging followed by a partial
drawing and quartering?

Peter

--
No Microsoft involved. Certified virus free --

Stan Cox
December 16th 05, 07:49 AM
wafflycat wrote:

> "Tony Raven" > wrote in message
>
>> The newsgroup seems to be filling up with troll wrestling at the
>> moment now that schools out and TrollB seemingly has more time on his
>> hands to go about his trolling. Remember the first rule of troll
>> wrestling is that your wrestling is the reaction they are hoping for
>> as wrestling is what they enjoy most.
>

> Indeedeee. Kill-files are a wonderful invention :)
>
> Cheers, helen s

Indeed. I didnt know he was still about.

Stan Cox

Just zis Guy, you know?
December 16th 05, 06:36 PM
said in >:

>Remember the first rule of troll wrestling is
>that your wrestling is the reaction they are hoping for as wrestling is
>what they enjoy most.

I have TrollB's posts marked read by default. Some of the replies are
amusing :-)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Just zis Guy, you know?
December 16th 05, 06:38 PM
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:23:29 +1300, Peter Keller >
said in >:

>Which means, I think, that we should dust off some of our recipes for
>cooking them. Admittedly, they are rather tough, so the preparation and
>cooking process will be long and drawn out -- And I do believe that they
>finish up more tender if they can be kept alive for as long as possible
>during the process.

I believe the method is as follows:

1. Gather some rocks
2. Build and light large fire
3. Place troll and rocks on fire
4. When rocks become soft, troll is cooked.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Tony Raven
December 16th 05, 08:07 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:23:29 +1300, Peter Keller >
> said in >:
>
>> Which means, I think, that we should dust off some of our recipes for
>> cooking them. Admittedly, they are rather tough, so the preparation and
>> cooking process will be long and drawn out -- And I do believe that they
>> finish up more tender if they can be kept alive for as long as possible
>> during the process.
>
> I believe the method is as follows:
>
> 1. Gather some rocks
> 2. Build and light large fire
> 3. Place troll and rocks on fire
> 4. When rocks become soft, troll is cooked.
>
> Guy

You forgot:

5. Throw away troll, eat rocks.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

James Annan
December 16th 05, 11:50 PM
Jon Senior wrote:

> James Annan wrote:
>
>> Anyone who believes what they read on usenet has probably already been
>> locked up for their own safety anyway.
>

> Is that true? ;-)

Either that, or died from a paracetamol overdose.

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email
http://julesandjames.blogspot.com/

Jon Senior
December 17th 05, 12:18 AM
James Annan wrote:
> Either that, or died from a paracetamol overdose.

Yeah yeah. I've recently thrown away my lecture notes from uni, and I no
longer have a copy of the British Pharmacopiea <sp?> so I'm unable to
check. I distinctly remember my pharmacology lecturer making a point of
this, but it might have been related to immediate toxicological effects
as apposed to chronic effects (Which are well known).

I stand by my point regarding alcohol though. Attacking an organ with
two separate toxins (and IIRC two different modes of damage) is less wise.

Better advice might be. Avoid all medicines unless you're damn sure that
you'll be better off with them! :-)

Jon

James Annan
December 17th 05, 01:51 AM
Jon Senior wrote:

> James Annan wrote:
>
>> Either that, or died from a paracetamol overdose.
>

> Yeah yeah. I've recently thrown away my lecture notes from uni, and I no
> longer have a copy of the British Pharmacopiea <sp?> so I'm unable to
> check. I distinctly remember my pharmacology lecturer making a point of
> this, but it might have been related to immediate toxicological effects
> as apposed to chronic effects (Which are well known).

yadda yadda...why not just accept you were wrong and move on? You
haven't suggested any reasons to justify why you might be right.

James
--
James Annan
see web pages for email
http://julesandjames.blogspot.com/

Simon Brooke
December 17th 05, 08:47 AM
in message >, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk> ('') wrote:

> James Annan wrote:
>> Either that, or died from a paracetamol overdose.
>
> Better advice might be. Avoid all medicines unless you're damn sure
> that you'll be better off with them! :-)

Granted, but, this am I are mostly full of paracetamol and tramadol
hydrochloride. I don't like the amount of painkillers I'm taking, but I
like the pain even less. Don't break your backs, chaps; you _know_ it
makes sense.

;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey

Just zis Guy, you know?
December 17th 05, 09:22 AM
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:51:43 +0900, James Annan
> said in
>:

>yadda yadda...why not just accept you were wrong and move on? You
>haven't suggested any reasons to justify why you might be right.

Is this an old argument? Did Jon repeat the urban myth that alcohol
increases the risk of death from a paracetamol overdose or something?

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Tony Raven
December 17th 05, 09:46 AM
Simon Brooke wrote:

> Granted, but, this am I are mostly full of paracetamol and tramadol
> hydrochloride. I don't like the amount of painkillers I'm taking, but I
> like the pain even less. Don't break your backs, chaps; you _know_ it
> makes sense.

The only consolation is that pain is better than absolutely no pain in
these situations. Its sounding rather nastier than first portrayed.
Hope you get past the pain stage and onto the road to recovery soon.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Simon Brooke
December 17th 05, 11:52 AM
in message >, Tony Raven
') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>
>> Granted, but, this am I are mostly full of paracetamol and tramadol
>> hydrochloride. I don't like the amount of painkillers I'm taking, but
>> I like the pain even less. Don't break your backs, chaps; you _know_
>> it makes sense.
>
> The only consolation is that pain is better than absolutely no pain in
> these situations. Its sounding rather nastier than first portrayed.
> Hope you get past the pain stage and onto the road to recovery soon.

Ahhh, it's OK. As you say, it could have been /far/ worse. But as I've
begun to move more I've now got muscles in spasm all over my back, which
hurts like hell, and there's nothing I can really do about it until I
get the brace off, which is not for another month at least. Sleeping is
pretty difficult, which makes me grumpy in the mornings. Sorry.

;; Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us
;; many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.
;; Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
;; Tom Stoppard, Artist Descending A Staircase

Alan Braggins
December 17th 05, 08:28 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>Is this an old argument? Did Jon repeat the urban myth that alcohol
>increases the risk of death from a paracetamol overdose or something?

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/7b7b2f4e070ed58f

(And you might want to check
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/58897ba86d0666f6
before dismissing interaction with alcohol as just an urban myth.
They might not gang up as such on the liver, but being too drunk to
remember how much paracetamol you have taken already is a real danger.
Simon: condolences to you and your brother-in-law's family.)

Just zis Guy, you know?
December 17th 05, 11:48 PM
On 17 Dec 2005 20:28:38 +0000 (GMT), (Alan
Braggins) said in >:

>(And you might want to check
>http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/58897ba86d0666f6
>before dismissing interaction with alcohol as just an urban myth.
>They might not gang up as such on the liver, but being too drunk to
>remember how much paracetamol you have taken already is a real danger.
>Simon: condolences to you and your brother-in-law's family.)

The sources I checked state that alcohol connects to different
receptors in the liver, and may in fact be /protective/ against
paracetamol. Of course, IANAD. There's never a Helen Vecht around
when you need one...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk