PDA

View Full Version : Re: Do Bicycle LED Lights Provide Light for Riding?

December 15th 05, 05:14 PM
wrote:
> My town requires bicyclists to have a bicycle light on when dark. I
> found an LED front light online for $15.00. This will will make me
> visable to traffic but will it provide any light for me? I sometimes
> ride in a very dark conditions but would only need a little light. If
> it doesn't provide any light can anyone recommd a light that does and
> is under $30.00?

Something you should probably check out is your provincial/state
highway traffic act and see if there are any specific requirements for
lighting. If not, maybe also check the town's bylaw and see if it has
formal requirments. There's your first need-comforming to the act. My
suspicion is that the requirement is more provincial/state than town.

Other than that, any light that can be seen by other people makes you
much safer. If you always ride on lighted streets the extra light from
your own lights may not be a serious consideration.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

The Wogster
December 15th 05, 10:24 PM
wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>My town requires bicyclists to have a bicycle light on when dark. I
>>found an LED front light online for $15.00. This will will make me
>>visable to traffic but will it provide any light for me? I sometimes
>>ride in a very dark conditions but would only need a little light. If
>>it doesn't provide any light can anyone recommd a light that does and
>>is under $30.00?
>

> Something you should probably check out is your provincial/state
> highway traffic act and see if there are any specific requirements for
> lighting. If not, maybe also check the town's bylaw and see if it has
> formal requirments. There's your first need-comforming to the act. My
> suspicion is that the requirement is more provincial/state than town.
>
> Other than that, any light that can be seen by other people makes you
> much safer. If you always ride on lighted streets the extra light from
> your own lights may not be a serious consideration.

I think an ideal rear bike light would be a 2 lamp unit with a steady
red, and flashing amber. For front lights, there really should be two
lights, a handle bar mounted light to be seen, and a fork mounted light
(or two) to see road surface problems with.

Haakon Studebaker
December 17th 05, 04:31 PM
The Wogster > wrote in news:53mof.4775$PQ3.684875
@news20.bellglobal.com:

> I think an ideal rear bike light would be a 2 lamp unit with a steady
> red, and flashing amber. For front lights, there really should be two
> lights, a handle bar mounted light to be seen, and a fork mounted light
> (or two) to see road surface problems with.

Why not this for a front light?
http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/A9D07B9C83FD1028A786001143E7E506/
http://tinyurl.com/9jb6y

Google