PDA

View Full Version : bike season over...

Joe Canuck
December 15th 05, 09:03 PM
....anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.

That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
challenged. :-D

Ken M
December 15th 05, 09:09 PM
Joe Canuck wrote:

> ...anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.
>
> That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
> challenged. :-D

Thats a bit tough to bike through.
Metrically challenged? Well thats most Americans. ;)

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

gds
December 15th 05, 09:16 PM
Ken M wrote:
>.
> Metrically challenged? Well thats most Americans. ;)

And not getting much better. The main highway between Tucson and
Nogales, Mexico is I-19 and for many years all of the mileage signs
were in km. That is now being changed back to miles. Of course it they
posted the speed limit in km we'd have every pick up in southern AZ
tipping over as they take a curve at 120 mph.

Roger Zoul
December 15th 05, 11:55 PM
"gds" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ken M wrote:
>>.
>> Metrically challenged? Well thats most Americans. ;)
>>

> And not getting much better. The main highway between Tucson and
> Nogales, Mexico is I-19 and for many years all of the mileage signs
> were in km. That is now being changed back to miles. Of course it they
> posted the speed limit in km we'd have every pick up in southern AZ
> tipping over as they take a curve at 120 mph.

It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just being
not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.

Mike Jacoubowsky
December 16th 05, 01:19 AM
> It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just being
> not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.

My first trip to France, I made the mistake of recalibrating my bike
computer to metric. BIG mistake. I had no idea how fast I was really going,
and in the L'Etape du Tour, burned myself out hainging with guys climbing
moderate grades at speeds a bit higher than I should have. But what does
33km/hour mean to me? Wall-to-wall cyclists (closed roads), you just kinda
get sucked along. Plus you don't have a good feel for how far you've gone,
and the intuitive feel you get reading KMs is that you've gone further than
you actually have.

So now I ride with two computers, one set to KMs and the other to Miles. Not
that big a deal when they're both wireless and feed off the same
transmitter.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
"Roger Zoul" > wrote in message

> "gds" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> Ken M wrote:
>>>.
>>> Metrically challenged? Well thats most Americans. ;)
>>>

>> And not getting much better. The main highway between Tucson and
>> Nogales, Mexico is I-19 and for many years all of the mileage signs
>> were in km. That is now being changed back to miles. Of course it they
>> posted the speed limit in km we'd have every pick up in southern AZ
>> tipping over as they take a curve at 120 mph.
>
> It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just being
> not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.

Gary Smiley
December 16th 05, 01:29 AM
Bike season over?
Not a chance!
Check this out: http://www.crw.org/gallery/snowride2003.htm
- Gary

Joe Canuck wrote:
> ...anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.
>
> That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
> challenged. :-D

Claire
December 16th 05, 01:34 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just being
> > not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.
>
> My first trip to France, I made the mistake of recalibrating my bike
> computer to metric. BIG mistake. I had no idea how fast I was really going,
> and in the L'Etape du Tour, burned myself out hainging with guys climbing
> moderate grades at speeds a bit higher than I should have. But what does
> 33km/hour mean to me?

When I was on my Canada tour this summer, I put my computer to metric.
It worked out pretty well, as I could track the distance better with
the signage both in the cue sheet and on the road. That trip was more
about distance for me, though, not speed.

My husband kept his on miles, so I had a cross check. It kept both of
us busy, doing the multiplication back and forth.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

what does THIS button do?
December 16th 05, 02:28 AM
Joe Canuck wrote:
> ...anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.
>
> That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
> challenged. :-D

Not for *this* guy! <http://tinyurl.com/3dm68>

Four of us, all cow orkers, took turns at pulling the plow on our
cyclecommute last friday. It works ike a pace line, only a bit slower
and each guy "sprints" for about 2~300 meters.... We just under two
miles of trail <http://tinyurl.com/7zm7n> in about 45 minutes.

We laff at sneaux.

..max

lowkey
December 16th 05, 02:32 AM
"what does THIS button do?" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Four of us, all cow orkers,

Is this intentional? I like it.

> took turns at pulling the plow on our
> cyclecommute last friday. It works ike a pace line, only a bit slower
> and each guy "sprints" for about 2~300 meters.... We just under two
> miles of trail <http://tinyurl.com/7zm7n> in about 45 minutes.
>
> We laff at sneaux.

what does THIS button do?
December 16th 05, 02:36 AM
lowkey wrote:
> "what does THIS button do?" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > Four of us, all cow orkers,
>
> Is this intentional? I like it.

It's a talk.bizarre affectation i picked up in the early 90's.

> > We laff at sneaux.

..max
along with the dot.

dgk
December 16th 05, 01:32 PM
On 15 Dec 2005 17:29:24 -0800, "Gary Smiley" >
wrote:

>Bike season over?
>Not a chance!
>Check this out: http://www.crw.org/gallery/snowride2003.htm
>- Gary
>
>Joe Canuck wrote:
>> ...anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.
>>
>> That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
>> challenged. :-D

Boy, I bet that increases rolling resistance. Much more than the
density of the air (from another thread).

Peter Cole
December 16th 05, 02:57 PM
dgk wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2005 17:29:24 -0800, "Gary Smiley" >
> wrote:
>

>>Bike season over?
>>Not a chance!
>>Check this out: http://www.crw.org/gallery/snowride2003.htm
>>- Gary
>>
>>Joe Canuck wrote:
>>
>>>...anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.
>>>
>>>That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
>>>challenged. :-D
>

> Boy, I bet that increases rolling resistance. Much more than the
> density of the air (from another thread).

As one of the riders in the shot (large person in natty yellow knickered
outfit), I'd have to say it was a little misleading in that it was taken
in an unplowed parking lot, and so really showed worst-case conditions
for that day. That said, we went on to do a 20 mile ride after that
picture. As I recall it was a little sketchy, but not too bad.

As snow deepens, it does get rapidly much harder to plow through. Narrow
tires offer much less resistance, but are less stable on ruts and packed
snow areas, the density of the snow has a lot of effect also.

With proper equipment and some caution, it's possible to continue riding
all winter in snowy climates (at least here in the Boston area) -- it's
actually a lot of fun.

Ken M
December 16th 05, 09:53 PM
Roger Zoul wrote:

> It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just being
> not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.

Well I don't know that I would like to use the metric system for speed,
but when I was checking into new components for my bike, I measured the
weight of the current parts on my shipping scale which has a switch to
select either grams or ounces. Most parts have their weight in grams. So
now I have learned to convert grams to ounces and vise versa. I never
had to do THAT before. Or maybe I did and I don't remember.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

Zoot Katz
December 16th 05, 10:36 PM
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:53:27 -0500, Ken M > wrote:

>Most parts have their weight in grams. So
>now I have learned to convert grams to ounces and vise versa. I never
>had to do THAT before. Or maybe I did and I don't remember.

I've messed around converting kilos into ounces and ounces into grams.

Fahrenheit makes more sense to my senses but KmH sure looks better on
my cycloputer.

Repetitively working with lightweight material it's amazing how
precise our bodies are at consistently guesstimate weight. By picking
up a sheet of balsa wood I was able to accurately gauge its density in
pounds per cubic foot.
--
zk

Fritz M
December 16th 05, 11:55 PM
what does THIS button do? wrote:

> It's a talk.bizarre affectation i picked up in the early 90's.

Interesting. I always thought it started with AFU.

RFM

The Wogster
December 17th 05, 02:09 AM
Ken M wrote:
> Roger Zoul wrote:
>
>> It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just
>> being not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.
>>

> Well I don't know that I would like to use the metric system for speed,
> but when I was checking into new components for my bike, I measured the
> weight of the current parts on my shipping scale which has a switch to
> select either grams or ounces. Most parts have their weight in grams. So
> now I have learned to convert grams to ounces and vise versa. I never
> had to do THAT before. Or maybe I did and I don't remember.

It really comes down to, what your used to, speeds are easy, 16km/h =
10MPH, 10km/h = 6 1/4MPH from that you can figure out any number you
like. I am probably 3/4 metric now, for distance and speed, km and km/h
are more meaningful now, even though I learned "imperial" measure in
school. I still remember the ad slogan say goodnight to Fahrenheit,
when it was replace by Celsius here in Canada in the 1970's.

I had a photographic darkroom in the late 1970's and that was always
metric measure, but imperial temperature. These days about the only
thing I think of, in imperial, is weights at work, because the company
uses pounds instead of Kg, something that will eventually change, as
more people come from other countries, and children are taught metric
instead of imperial measure, will find it hard to understand. What is
interesting is some things are metric, even when you don't ask them to
be. For example, if I go to the deli, and ask for 1lb of ham, they may
have the price in pounds, but they will also have the price in kg or
often 100g increments, and that is the legal price, keyed into their
scale which is in 100g units.

I think the US will eventually go metric, but will probably take 10
times as long, it will cost 100 times as much, and require 1000 times
the number of Bureaucrats to implement.

December 17th 05, 02:36 AM
I dunno, I think we got at least 25 cm here in Ottawa, and I was able
to ride (cars have their usefulness, compacting the snow down with
their tires). While I wasn't commuting I do know a few folks that did,
and they all made it back home safely.

Mark (who rides year-round, though admittedly prefers very cold days
and dry roads over just-below-freezing snow-covered roads)

http://drumbent.com

Mike Kruger
December 18th 05, 02:43 AM
The Wogster wrote:

> I think the US will eventually go metric, but will probably take 10
> times as long, it will cost 100 times as much, and require 1000 times
> the number of Bureaucrats to implement.

1000 bureaucrats = 1 kilocrat ?

Chris Z The Wheelman
December 18th 05, 03:14 AM
That remind's me, I got to start looking for sone cheap MTB street tires
to "stud".

Thanks §:-3)>

- -
These comments compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Chris Z The Wheelman
December 18th 05, 03:17 AM
>"Metrically challenged"?

Not if you've been working with bikes all your life. I sometimes have to
think a minute when imagining something measured in inches or feet.

- -
These comments compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

The Wogster
December 18th 05, 02:41 PM
Mike Kruger wrote:
> The Wogster wrote:
>
>>I think the US will eventually go metric, but will probably take 10
>>times as long, it will cost 100 times as much, and require 1000 times
>>the number of Bureaucrats to implement.
>>

> 1000 bureaucrats = 1 kilocrat ?

That would be kilobureaucrat, I don't think metric uses Bt for anything,
so we could shorten that to KBt. As for the time period, here in
Canada we have been working at it for 30 years, and are not done yet. I
figure then, it will take the USA close to 300 years....

As for the USA, it's already started, but most of the metric conversion
that has already taken place, is hidden, for example most cars, bikes
and machinery are made using metric sized fasteners and components, even
those made entirely in North America, for a number of years.

Roger Houston
December 18th 05, 03:21 PM
"The Wogster" > wrote in message

> As for the USA, it's already started, but most of the metric conversion
> that has already taken place, is hidden, for example most cars, bikes and
> machinery are made using metric sized fasteners and components, even those
> made entirely in North America, for a number of years.

It's a slippery slope, I tell you. You give them an inch, they take
160,934.4 centimeters.

The Wogster
December 18th 05, 05:50 PM
Roger Houston wrote:
> "The Wogster" > wrote in message
>
>>As for the USA, it's already started, but most of the metric conversion
>>that has already taken place, is hidden, for example most cars, bikes and
>>machinery are made using metric sized fasteners and components, even those
>>made entirely in North America, for a number of years.
>

> It's a slippery slope, I tell you. You give them an inch, they take
> 160,934.4 centimeters.

Yeah, about the only place in Canada, where Imperial still reigns is the
building industry, but I wouldn't be surprized that new construction
isn't metric to a large degree, renovations will probably be imperial
for some time to come, because such a large amount of existing
structures are built that way. For example imperial plywood is 48 x 96
inches (1219 x 2438mm) where as metric is 1200mm x 2400mm almost the
same, but not quite.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home