PDA

View Full Version : at the LBS

Claire Petersky
December 18th 05, 09:37 PM
Because I am an idiot, I couldn't get the back wheel seated properly in the
dropouts. So I took it in the bike shop, TiCycles. If the place had been
jammed, I wouldn't have bothered them. Luckily, the place was empty, so I
didn't feel like I was imposing on them with my troubles. They not only got
the wheel into place though, but they did a lot of minor adjustments, nearly
a mini tune-up, really, plus found a replacement magnet for the one that
fell off my front wheel's spokes about a month ago. A few customers drifted
in and bought things, so my bike would get abandoned briefly while other
folks were helped, so it took about an hour to complete. They were kind
enough to let me into the repair area (despite the employees only sign) so I
could see what they were doing and maybe learn a thing or two. I think they
charged me $15 in labor, well worth it, considering all that they did.

I suppose there's some among you who think $15 is a rip-off for doing things
I should well know how to do myself. But it's nice to have experts do it,
and do it all relatively quickly, and I don't mind hanging out while it's
happening. I'm just happy there's people willing to help me for a modest
fee, and to be friendly and while it's happening.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Ken M
December 18th 05, 10:45 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> Because I am an idiot, I couldn't get the back wheel seated properly in the
> dropouts. So I took it in the bike shop, TiCycles. If the place had been
> jammed, I wouldn't have bothered them. Luckily, the place was empty, so I
> didn't feel like I was imposing on them with my troubles. They not only got
> the wheel into place though, but they did a lot of minor adjustments, nearly
> a mini tune-up, really, plus found a replacement magnet for the one that
> fell off my front wheel's spokes about a month ago. A few customers drifted
> in and bought things, so my bike would get abandoned briefly while other
> folks were helped, so it took about an hour to complete. They were kind
> enough to let me into the repair area (despite the employees only sign) so I
> could see what they were doing and maybe learn a thing or two. I think they
> charged me $15 in labor, well worth it, considering all that they did.
>
> I suppose there's some among you who think $15 is a rip-off for doing things
> I should well know how to do myself. But it's nice to have experts do it,
> and do it all relatively quickly, and I don't mind hanging out while it's
> happening. I'm just happy there's people willing to help me for a modest
> fee, and to be friendly and while it's happening.

Now that is the kind of service more shops SHOULD strive for rather than
the service that many DO give. Glad to hear you got good service at a
fair price.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

December 19th 05, 06:03 AM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> They were kind
> enough to let me into the repair area (despite the employees only sign) so I
> could see what they were doing and maybe learn a thing or two. I think they
> charged me $15 in labor, well worth it, considering all that they did.

This summer a packrat friend of mine let me use one of his spare bikes.
I picked the nicest of the bunch and, subsequently, had to take it in
to a shop to get a full tune-up since it hadn't been ridden in a very
long time. (Like, since long before he got it.) And, at the time, I
found myself really wondering why the repair area is employees only.

At the two really good and one mediocre local shop I have done stuff
with (and at the good shop I went to in Shijiazhuang, and at the really
good shop I visited in Guangzhou) the repair area is sandwiched between
the regular customer area and the high-priced "components, accessories,
and high priced bikes" area. You literally cannot get into the areas
I'm interested in (which include the water machine and snacks) without
walking through the repair area.

Is there a liability issue that simply isn't present in China? Cause,
as someone who spends an inordinate amount of time hanging out at the
bike shop I've noticed that watching the mechanics seems to make a
positive contribution to sales. Even the people riding the city bikes
frequently seem to be interested in the mechanics of putting the pedals
and basket on, and double checking the spoke tension before letting the
bike out of the shop.

-M

AustinMN
December 19th 05, 02:28 PM
marian.rosenberg wrote:
> Is there a liability issue that simply isn't present in China? Cause,
> as someone who spends an inordinate amount of time hanging out at the
> bike shop I've noticed that watching the mechanics seems to make a
> positive contribution to sales. Even the people riding the city bikes
> frequently seem to be interested in the mechanics of putting the pedals
> and basket on, and double checking the spoke tension before letting the
> bike out of the shop.

I think the real issue is American children (of all ages). I've never
had a bike shop hesitate to show me thinngs I needed to see or explain
what or how they were doing something. But if just anyone was allowed
to wander in the repair area as though it was the sales area, things
would start happening. Tools would disappear, some would start to
interfere with the work, others would start to argue about how
something is being done, etc. This would be worse if the mechanic has
to double as a sales person, leaving the repair/service area unattended
at times.

There is some liability, because there are lubricants, cleaners,
solvents, tools, and such where a below-average person could be injured
(i.e. generate a lawsuit), but I think in general it's easier for them
to do their job by posting "Employees Only".

Austin

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m
December 19th 05, 06:43 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:

> I'm just happy there's people willing to help me for
> a modest fee, and to be friendly and while it's happening.

You're fortunate to have a decent LBS, Claire. Most of the time, when I
walk into the LBS and ask about a component or an accessory for my bike,
I may as well be speaking ancient Greek.

--
"Techne d'ainangkys aisthenestera makro."
(necessity is far stronger than art)

Dane Buson
December 21st 05, 12:22 AM
Claire Petersky > wrote:

> I suppose there's some among you who think $15 is a rip-off for doing things
> I should well know how to do myself. But it's nice to have experts do it,
> and do it all relatively quickly, and I don't mind hanging out while it's
> happening. I'm just happy there's people willing to help me for a modest
> fee, and to be friendly and while it's happening.

And this is why I didn't get you bike tools for your birthday.

;-)

I have to admit, I did wuss out and have the bike shop press the headset
into my new frame. So, I can't claim a complete aversion to having them
do things. Mainly I do it myself to be frugal and because I generally don't
have the spare time for them to do it to their schedule.

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Inside every short man is a tall man doubled over in pain."

The Wogster
December 21st 05, 12:53 AM
Dane Buson wrote:
> Claire Petersky > wrote:
>
>>I suppose there's some among you who think $15 is a rip-off for doing things
>>I should well know how to do myself. But it's nice to have experts do it,
>>and do it all relatively quickly, and I don't mind hanging out while it's
>>happening. I'm just happy there's people willing to help me for a modest
>>fee, and to be friendly and while it's happening.
>

> And this is why I didn't get you bike tools for your birthday.
>
> ;-)
>
> I have to admit, I did wuss out and have the bike shop press the headset
> into my new frame. So, I can't claim a complete aversion to having them
> do things. Mainly I do it myself to be frugal and because I generally don't
> have the spare time for them to do it to their schedule.

Headsets from what I recall, need a special, and therefore expensive
tool, and since you don't install or replace headsets all that often,
buying the tool, has a long payback, so why bother.....

Claire Petersky
December 21st 05, 02:37 AM
"Dane Buson" > wrote in message
> Claire Petersky > wrote:
>>
>> I suppose there's some among you who think $15 is a rip-off for doing
>> things
>> I should well know how to do myself. But it's nice to have experts do it,
>> and do it all relatively quickly, and I don't mind hanging out while it's
>> happening. I'm just happy there's people willing to help me for a modest
>> fee, and to be friendly and while it's happening.
>
> And this is why I didn't get you bike tools for your birthday.
>
> ;-)

Just so the group knows, Dane *did* buy me bike tools for my birthday.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Dane Buson
December 21st 05, 04:48 AM
The Wogster > wrote:
> Dane Buson wrote:
>>
>> I have to admit, I did wuss out and have the bike shop press the headset
>> into my new frame. So, I can't claim a complete aversion to having them
>> do things. Mainly I do it myself to be frugal and because I generally don't
>> have the spare time for them to do it to their schedule.
>>

> Headsets from what I recall, need a special, and therefore expensive
> tool, and since you don't install or replace headsets all that often,
> buying the tool, has a long payback, so why bother.....

That's been my justification to myself, but I noticed Nashbar has their
house brand headset press for $50. Either that, or I could head down
to Lowes and pickup a threaded rod, some nuts, some washers and build
the improvised press tool.

I recently went there and bought parts to build a headset removal tool.
Unfortunately, only one of the pieces wants to come off. The other one
is *really* stuck on there. Maybe it's time to go buy a propane torch
from Lowes...

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Rincewind looked down at him and grinned slowly. It was a wide, manic, and

Dane Buson
December 21st 05, 05:03 AM
Claire Petersky > wrote:
> "Dane Buson" > wrote in message
>> Claire Petersky > wrote:
>>>
>>> I suppose there's some among you who think $15 is a rip-off for doing
>>> things
>>> I should well know how to do myself. But it's nice to have experts do it,
>>> and do it all relatively quickly, and I don't mind hanging out while it's
>>> happening. I'm just happy there's people willing to help me for a modest
>>> fee, and to be friendly and while it's happening.
>>
>> And this is why I didn't get you bike tools for your birthday.
>>
>> ;-)
>
> Just so the group knows, Dane *did* buy me bike tools for my birthday.

Hmmm, I suppose they are bike tools. I suppose I was thinking of things
that would fit in the category of "shop tools" I suppose. I do hope you
haven't had to use them yet.

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"For three days after death hair and fingernails continue to grow but

Ryan Cousineau
December 21st 05, 08:47 AM
In article >,
The Wogster > wrote:

> Dane Buson wrote:
> > Claire Petersky > wrote:
> >
> >>I suppose there's some among you who think $15 is a rip-off for doing
> >>things
> >>I should well know how to do myself. But it's nice to have experts do it,
> >>and do it all relatively quickly, and I don't mind hanging out while it's
> >>happening. I'm just happy there's people willing to help me for a modest
> >>fee, and to be friendly and while it's happening.
> >

> > And this is why I didn't get you bike tools for your birthday.
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > I have to admit, I did wuss out and have the bike shop press the headset
> > into my new frame. So, I can't claim a complete aversion to having them
> > do things. Mainly I do it myself to be frugal and because I generally
> > don't
> > have the spare time for them to do it to their schedule.
> >

> Headsets from what I recall, need a special, and therefore expensive
> tool, and since you don't install or replace headsets all that often,
> buying the tool, has a long payback, so why bother.....

You mean you don't have a Hozan stepped-size precision-machined headset
cup press like me?

Actually, I'm getting all excited about that tool, because I may get to
use it for the first time since my next project involves converting my
Motobecane to a threadless headset.

But really, the most satisfying tool I've used is the headset cup
remover. Slide it into place, smack it with a hammer a few times, and
the cup pops out as easy as pie.

Dane Buson
December 21st 05, 09:50 PM
Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

> You mean you don't have a Hozan stepped-size precision-machined headset
> cup press like me?

Not yet. But at rate I accumulate bike tools, I don't think it will
take too long.

> But really, the most satisfying tool I've used is the headset cup
> remover. Slide it into place, smack it with a hammer a few times, and
> the cup pops out as easy as pie.

For the Velosolex it was more like:

*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
squint at headtube
*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
adjust improvised tool
*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
question it's ancestry and toilet habits
*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
spin frame 180 degrees and attack the *other* cup
*bang* *bang* *clang*
woohoo! it's out!
*celebratory dance*
spin frame 180 degrees and attack that cup again
*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
slather with WD-40 and leave overnight
*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
*bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*
leaves in disgust
add propane torch to hardware store list

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"You are invited to take advantage of the chambermaid."

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home