PDA

View Full Version : Grocery capacity

Earl Bollinger
December 19th 05, 01:35 AM
"Ron Hardin" > wrote in message
> The Nashbar wicker basket works to finally let you move one of your
> gallon jugs from the rear carrier to the front of the bike (along
> with six canned veggies), balancing things out a little better
> and leaving you yet more room for stuff on sale (unlike panniers,
> it doesn't crush milk jugs)
>
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin2/bikebackupc.jpg
>
> making my backup bike actually a better errand bike than my primary
> Huffy.
>
> It's a fairly sturdy basket and mounting but I don't think more than
> around 15 pounds is a great idea for it.
>
> (A basket would block two of my 4 EL-500's on the handlebars, on
> the primary bike. The backup bike uses two HL-1500's at night,
> and they're safely up on space bars.)
>
> The wicker basket also blocks cold crotch-numbing winter wind.
>
> I suppose I ought to find the page...hmm
>
> It seems to be gone. The product code was NA-TFB $29.99
>
> Never mind.
> --
> Ron Hardin
>

> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

Not bad at all. I tend to lean towards the Wald metal baskets myself.
here is my shopping bike: http://tinypic.com/ivy5cp.jpg
I went for the big basket as I always seem to have something that dowsn't
fit well in the rear baskets.
Those are the Wald folding baskets on the rear too. Unfortunately most
stores don't have the classic paper bags anymore that fit these baskets just
right.

Ron Hardin
December 19th 05, 04:28 PM
[...]

maxo
December 19th 05, 07:55 PM
Bah, it's all about Wald folding wire baskets. :P

http://lexcobike.thomasnet.com/item/adults-1049/baskets/582bl?&plpver=10&origin=viewitems&assetid=spec

Andy Gee
December 20th 05, 01:30 AM
Ron Hardin > wrote in news:43A6DFBC.5920
@mindspring.com:

> The Nashbar wicker basket works to finally let you move one of your
> gallon jugs from the rear carrier to the front of the bike

You know, it's a law in some jurisdictions that every wicker basket needs a
white plastic daisy. Better check your municipal traffic regs.

--ag

Tom Keats
December 20th 05, 03:26 AM
In article >,
Ron Hardin > writes:

> The Nashbar wicker basket works to finally let you move one of your
> gallon jugs from the rear carrier to the front of the bike (along
> with six canned veggies), balancing things out a little better
> and leaving you yet more room for stuff on sale (unlike panniers,
> it doesn't crush milk jugs)

How are they for transporting pizzas (which have to lie flat)?

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

maxo
December 20th 05, 04:08 AM
Ever heard of delivery? The whole idea of transporting a hot
airfoil/pizza by bicycle makes me shiver. With my luck a gust of wind
would blow it out of the box and onto my face and then I'd have to
endure years of pepperoni removing surgery. [shivers]

Fortunately, I have a nice pizzeria fifty feet or so from the front
gate.

Walking will have to do. :D

December 20th 05, 05:28 AM
http://www.bikesatwork.com/

Ron Hardin
December 20th 05, 07:02 AM
Tom Keats wrote:

> In article >,
> Ron Hardin > writes:
>
> > The Nashbar wicker basket works to finally let you move one of your
> > gallon jugs from the rear carrier to the front of the bike (along
> > with six canned veggies), balancing things out a little better
> > and leaving you yet more room for stuff on sale (unlike panniers,
> > it doesn't crush milk jugs)
>
> How are they for transporting pizzas (which have to lie flat)?

Not enough bottom area. It's more than a gallon jug needs (but
not enough for two gallon jugs). A gallon jug and about 3 canned
vegetables exhaust the space, albeit not efficiently. Of course you
can stack the vegetables and get more in ; more than you really want,
weightwise, at some point.

My desire was to get rid of one of the gallon jugs from the back
and leave room for other stuff on those days when two gallon jugs
were called for ; without crushing the gallon jug in some pannier.

--
Ron Hardin

SB
December 20th 05, 08:06 AM
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:35:29 -0600, Earl Bollinger wrote:

> "Ron Hardin" > wrote in message
>> The Nashbar wicker basket works to finally let you move one of your
>> gallon jugs from the rear carrier to the front of the bike (along
>> with six canned veggies), balancing things out a little better
>> and leaving you yet more room for stuff on sale (unlike panniers,
>> it doesn't crush milk jugs)
>>
>> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin2/bikebackupc.jpg
>>
>> making my backup bike actually a better errand bike than my primary
>> Huffy.
>>
>> It's a fairly sturdy basket and mounting but I don't think more than
>> around 15 pounds is a great idea for it.
>>
>> (A basket would block two of my 4 EL-500's on the handlebars, on
>> the primary bike. The backup bike uses two HL-1500's at night,
>> and they're safely up on space bars.)
>>
>> The wicker basket also blocks cold crotch-numbing winter wind.
>>
>> I suppose I ought to find the page...hmm
>>
>> It seems to be gone. The product code was NA-TFB $29.99
>>
>> Never mind.
>> --
>> Ron Hardin
>>

>> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.
>
> Not bad at all. I tend to lean towards the Wald metal baskets myself.
> here is my shopping bike: http://tinypic.com/ivy5cp.jpg
> I went for the big basket as I always seem to have something that dowsn't
> fit well in the rear baskets.
> Those are the Wald folding baskets on the rear too. Unfortunately most
> stores don't have the classic paper bags anymore that fit these baskets just
> right.

..

Cathy Kearns
December 20th 05, 03:53 PM
"maxo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ever heard of delivery? The whole idea of transporting a hot
> airfoil/pizza by bicycle makes me shiver.

One day I ordered pizza for a party and was surprise to see the delivery guy
cycle up with his burley trailer full of pizza. What made him even happier
was he had two deliveries in that trailer, and the other was just across the
street. And yes, the pizza was hot.

Ron Hardin
December 20th 05, 05:37 PM
Cathy Kearns wrote:

> "maxo" > wrote in message
> oups.com..
> > Ever heard of delivery? The whole idea of transporting a hot
> > airfoil/pizza by bicycle makes me shiver.
>
> One day I ordered pizza for a party and was surprise to see the delivery guy
> cycle up with his burley trailer full of pizza. What made him even happier
> was he had two deliveries in that trailer, and the other was just across the
> street. And yes, the pizza was hot.

Trailers are for when there's serious loads to be humped home
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/bikestuff.jpg

--
Ron Hardin

Michael
December 22nd 05, 03:47 AM
Ron Hardin wrote:

> The Nashbar wicker basket works to finally let you move one of your
> gallon jugs from the rear carrier to the front of the bike (along
> with six canned veggies), balancing things out a little better
> and leaving you yet more room for stuff on sale (unlike panniers,
> it doesn't crush milk jugs)
>
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin2/bikebackupc.jpg
>
> making my backup bike actually a better errand bike than my primary
> Huffy.
>
> It's a fairly sturdy basket and mounting but I don't think more than
> around 15 pounds is a great idea for it.
>
> (A basket would block two of my 4 EL-500's on the handlebars, on
> the primary bike. The backup bike uses two HL-1500's at night,
> and they're safely up on space bars.)
>
> The wicker basket also blocks cold crotch-numbing winter wind.
>
> I suppose I ought to find the page...hmm
>
> It seems to be gone. The product code was NA-TFB $29.99
>
> Never mind.
> --
> Ron Hardin
>

> On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

I'd like to find a good way to carry bulky, heavy stuff that woulkd put most of
the weight on the front tire (since I myself load the rear tire pretty
heavily). I have rear panniers so naturally considered front panniers first.
But I cringe at the idea of trying anything that puts mass on the steering
assembly, because I fear that mass there would make steering sluggish. I've
ridden with a plastic shopping bag hanging from one hand many times (when I
forgot to take a pannier and wound up buying something while out), and even a
half gallon of ice cream in the bag makes steering sluggish. I wouldn't want
anything as massive as a gallon of milk there.

I've never used front panniers. How badly do they slow down steering when
they're good and loaded?

I have two bikes, each a 10-speed road with 27 x 1.25" tires.

--
Michael

Tom Keats
December 23rd 05, 01:26 AM
In article >,
Ron Hardin > writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> Ron Hardin > writes:
>>
>> > The Nashbar wicker basket works to finally let you move one of your
>> > gallon jugs from the rear carrier to the front of the bike (along
>> > with six canned veggies), balancing things out a little better
>> > and leaving you yet more room for stuff on sale (unlike panniers,
>> > it doesn't crush milk jugs)
>>
>> How are they for transporting pizzas (which have to lie flat)?
>
> Not enough bottom area. It's more than a gallon jug needs (but
> not enough for two gallon jugs). A gallon jug and about 3 canned
> vegetables exhaust the space, albeit not efficiently. Of course you
> can stack the vegetables and get more in ; more than you really want,
> weightwise, at some point.
>
> My desire was to get rid of one of the gallon jugs from the back
> and leave room for other stuff on those days when two gallon jugs
> were called for ; without crushing the gallon jug in some pannier.

I don't actually drink milk, but I use it for cooking.
So I just get the powdered stuff. Easy to transport,
and easy to store.

If you need some fresh milk for immediate use and more milk for
future/contingency use, maybe you could compromise, and get
both liquid & powdered milk? And maybe that might make
transporting it less problematic? It's just a suggestion
anyway.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats
December 23rd 05, 01:53 AM
In article . com>,
"maxo" > writes:

> Ever heard of delivery?

Ever heard of 10% pick-up discount? :-)

Besides, my most frequented pizza joint is just across
from the re-tox centre (liquor store) so while I'm waiting
for the pie I can zip across for a couple of appropriate
pizza-eating brewskies. Tall can Heinekens have been
hitting the spot lately.

> The whole idea of transporting a hot
> airfoil/pizza by bicycle makes me shiver.

After much experimentation and thought, I've figured it out.
The trick is to tuck the pizza box inside multiple layers
of sweatshirts, and bungee that on top of your milk crate or
rack. It really does work! Best of all, the pie stays hot-off
without the box "sweating." One can even stick multiple layers
of boxed pizzas in there.

> With my luck a gust of wind
> would blow it out of the box and onto my face and then I'd have to
> endure years of pepperoni removing surgery. [shivers]

Naw. Y'know what? For years I've transported full, dozen egg cartons,
and have busted nary a one. (Not so lucky with half-dozen half-cartons.)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Ron Hardin
January 5th 06, 07:35 PM
Ron Hardin wrote:

> The Nashbar wicker basket works to finally let you move one of your
> gallon jugs from the rear carrier to the front of the bike (along
> with six canned veggies), balancing things out a little better
> and leaving you yet more room for stuff on sale (unlike panniers,
> it doesn't crush milk jugs)
>
> http://home.att.net/~rhhardin2/bikebackupc.jpg
>
> making my backup bike actually a better errand bike than my primary
> Huffy.
>
> It's a fairly sturdy basket and mounting but I don't think more than
> around 15 pounds is a great idea for it.
>
> (A basket would block two of my 4 EL-500's on the handlebars, on
> the primary bike. The backup bike uses two HL-1500's at night,
> and they're safely up on space bars.)
>
> The wicker basket also blocks cold crotch-numbing winter wind.
>
> I suppose I ought to find the page...hmm
>
> It seems to be gone. The product code was NA-TFB $29.99
>
> Never mind.

Nashbar has it back in the catalog for $24.99

Expected restock in Feb, you can back-order it at 1-800-627-4227

It really is a nice addition and mechanically sound, and removeable though
I don't know why you'd want to remove it in actual practice.

Which is to say mine hasn't done anything bad since I got it, and has carried
a lot of stuff, including a large rice cooker balanced on top and secured with
a rope made of square-knotted plastic Kroger bags.
--
Ron Hardin

Tom Keats
January 6th 06, 07:28 AM
In article >,
Ron Hardin > writes:

> Nashbar has it back in the catalog for $24.99
>
> Expected restock in Feb, you can back-order it at 1-800-627-4227
>
> It really is a nice addition and mechanically sound, and removeable though
> I don't know why you'd want to remove it in actual practice.
>
> Which is to say mine hasn't done anything bad since I got it, and has carried
> a lot of stuff, including a large rice cooker balanced on top and secured
> with a rope made of square-knotted plastic Kroger bags.

One of those would look pretty good on the front of my Raleigh Twenty --
with that longish headtube & stem, there's a lot of negative space to
fill up front there. And wicker has that warm, appealing quaintness
when you don't have cats to tear it to shreds sharpening their claws
on it. And maybe certain foods retain their je ne sais quois when
brought home from the shops in an organic wicker basket instead of
some rattly, wiry crabtrap or a plastic box.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

SMS
January 6th 06, 11:19 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article >,
> Ron Hardin > writes:
>
>> Nashbar has it back in the catalog for $24.99
>>
>> Expected restock in Feb, you can back-order it at 1-800-627-4227
>>
>> It really is a nice addition and mechanically sound, and removeable though
>> I don't know why you'd want to remove it in actual practice.
>>
>> Which is to say mine hasn't done anything bad since I got it, and has carried
>> a lot of stuff, including a large rice cooker balanced on top and secured
>> with a rope made of square-knotted plastic Kroger bags.
>
> One of those would look pretty good on the front of my Raleigh Twenty --
> with that longish headtube & stem, there's a lot of negative space to
> fill up front there. And wicker has that warm, appealing quaintness
> when you don't have cats to tear it to shreds sharpening their claws
> on it. And maybe certain foods retain their je ne sais quois when
> brought home from the shops in an organic wicker basket instead of
> some rattly, wiry crabtrap or a plastic box.

Sadly, the U.K. really beats the U.S. in the availability of wicker
bicycle baskets, see:

"http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/product/baskets/basil/shopperwicker/"

Zoot Katz
January 6th 06, 06:49 PM
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 23:28:30 -0800, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>> Which is to say mine hasn't done anything bad since I got it, and has carried
>> a lot of stuff, including a large rice cooker balanced on top and secured
>> with a rope made of square-knotted plastic Kroger bags.
>
>One of those would look pretty good on the front of my Raleigh Twenty --
>with that longish headtube & stem, there's a lot of negative space to
>fill up front there. And wicker has that warm, appealing quaintness
>when you don't have cats to tear it to shreds sharpening their claws
>on it. And maybe certain foods retain their je ne sais quois when
>brought home from the shops in an organic wicker basket instead of
>some rattly, wiry crabtrap or a plastic box.

The huge news-boy basket on my twenty inch Norco holds large packages
nicely. Small stuff falls through the widely spaced steel straps that
form the basket. It requires a cardboard box as a liner when doing
shopping runs.

I was thinking of stealing a hunk of that plastic fencing stuff to
zip-tie in there but somebody suggested weaving it with willow
branches. And somebody else suggested cedar bark. Either would
certainly moderate the cow-catcher look it now has.
Sounds like a fun project and if it doesn't work out, it's entirely
reversible.
--
zk

Tom Keats
January 7th 06, 06:01 AM
In article >,
Zoot Katz > writes:

> I was thinking of stealing a hunk of that plastic fencing stuff to
> zip-tie in there but somebody suggested weaving it with willow
> branches. And somebody else suggested cedar bark. Either would
> certainly moderate the cow-catcher look it now has.
> Sounds like a fun project and if it doesn't work out, it's entirely
> reversible.

The idea of integrating organic materials into bike stuff
has much appeal to me. Kind of a mixed medium thing.

How about fixing up a liner out of mahogany doorskin?
Maybe use those pinchy, vinyl, right-angled cabinetry
thingies to hold the corners together (the black stuff
looks better than that diarrhea brown colour that tack-on
vinyl stair treads come in.) A coat or 6 of clear spray
shellac or lacquer, with some buffing between coats, to
provide some waterproofing. Or just raw linseed oil.
If you want to change the colour of the wood and bring
out the grain, some powdered, alcohol-soluble aniline dye
in the colour of your preference.

Y'know, I bet mahogany doorskin can readily be steamed
into curves.

But the woven willow branches would have a cool
Day of the Trifids effect. Reminds me of that
fedge at Trout Lake/John Hendry Park.

After a certain amount of exposure to solar UV,
snow-fencing just gets tattered and ratty looking.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Zoot Katz
January 7th 06, 08:48 PM
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 22:01:31 -0800,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

>After a certain amount of exposure to solar UV,
>snow-fencing just gets tattered and ratty looking.

I was also thinking about taking bolt cutters to a trashed shopping
cart for some handy wire mesh but that would be too heavy.

Using door skin for a basket liner could cause too much wind
resistance. Strips of it could be woven through the existing
framework. It needs corner pieces for whatever material I choose
except steel, fabric or the fencing.

The fencing could be easily replaced when it got ratty looking. Maybe
instead of zip ties to hold the fencing* I could weave it to the steel
with inner tube rubber and have an expandable black and orange piece
of functional garbage art on my lavender 20" shopper-chopper.

There's a plastic flamingo in the closet that's going to make a fine
rear fender. A molding vent hole in the tip of the tail attaches to
the brake-bridge. The molded attachment point for the wire legs takes
the fender-stays. A blinky fits around its neck. I can fill in the
bottom part with a hunk of busted Rat-Tail.

Just like Fabrizio, bikes shouldn't be taken too seriously.

* Living so long in lotus land and I'd forgot that stuff is for
snow-fences. Here it's mostly used to protect street trees from
construction damage. and there's usually an extra unstapled flap of it
--
zk

Tom Keats
January 8th 06, 03:50 AM
In article >,
Zoot Katz > writes:

> There's a plastic flamingo in the closet that's going to make a fine
> rear fender. A molding vent hole in the tip of the tail attaches to
> the brake-bridge. The molded attachment point for the wire legs takes
> the fender-stays. A blinky fits around its neck. I can fill in the
> bottom part with a hunk of busted Rat-Tail.

Oooh, I like it! Pink & lavender -- what an excellent clash.
And the elegance of it. I can see it. It's like those
plastic flamingoes were designed to be made fenders out of.

After riding to the supermarket in today's Deluge of Noahic
Proportions I was thinking about rigging up a rubber bulb horn
with a duck call in it. A couple of rubber duck decoys might
make interesting toeclip covers.

> Just like Fabrizio, bikes shouldn't be taken too seriously.

In Irving Stone's Freud bio-novel, "The Passions of the Mind"
he mentions how it was said: "In Berlin the situation is
serious but not hopeless. In Vienna the situation is hopeless
but not serious."

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Brian Huntley
January 8th 06, 03:51 PM
Zoot Katz wrote:

> There's a plastic flamingo in the closet that's going to make a fine
> rear fender. A molding vent hole in the tip of the tail attaches to
> the brake-bridge. The molded attachment point for the wire legs takes
> the fender-stays. A blinky fits around its neck. I can fill in the
> bottom part with a hunk of busted Rat-Tail.

How about one of those swimming-swan shaped planters as a combination
front fender/basket, too?

January 8th 06, 06:17 PM
Tom Keats > wrote:
> In article >,
> Zoot Katz > writes:

> > There's a plastic flamingo in the closet that's going to make a fine
> > rear fender. A molding vent hole in the tip of the tail attaches to
> > the brake-bridge. The molded attachment point for the wire legs takes
> > the fender-stays. A blinky fits around its neck. I can fill in the
> > bottom part with a hunk of busted Rat-Tail.

> Oooh, I like it! Pink & lavender -- what an excellent clash.
> And the elegance of it. I can see it. It's like those
> plastic flamingoes were designed to be made fenders out of.

> After riding to the supermarket in today's Deluge of Noahic
> Proportions I was thinking about rigging up a rubber bulb horn
> with a duck call in it. A couple of rubber duck decoys might
> make interesting toeclip covers.

Don't you dare not post pictures when you (both of you) get these
projects done.

Bill

| Arguments must therefore be crude, clear and forcible, and appeal |
| to emotions and instincts, not the intellect. Truth [is] unimportant |
| and entirely subordinate to tactics and psychology. |
| -- Josef Goebbels |

Tom Keats
January 9th 06, 07:27 AM
In article >,
writes:

> Don't you dare not post pictures when you (both of you) get these
> projects done.

I'd need to first obtain a camera, and we'd both might need
a sunny (or at least non-rainy) day to take pix in.

The former is easier to accomplish than the latter.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Zoot Katz
January 10th 06, 09:29 AM
On 8 Jan 2006 07:51:23 -0800, "Brian Huntley"
> wrote:

>Zoot Katz wrote:
>
>> There's a plastic flamingo in the closet that's going to make a fine
>> rear fender. A molding vent hole in the tip of the tail attaches to
>> the brake-bridge. The molded attachment point for the wire legs takes
>> the fender-stays. A blinky fits around its neck. I can fill in the
>> bottom part with a hunk of busted Rat-Tail.
>
>How about one of those swimming-swan shaped planters as a combination
>front fender/basket, too?

There's already a five inch plastic Halloween skull mounted between
the basket and front tire. (20" wheel, 27" fork)

There's not any sort of morbid death-cult fascination on my part. I
figure those skull tattoos, logos, mojos, belt buckles, badges, etc.
just advertise the wearer is a bone head.

All of my bikes bear such a mojo. So, consider yourselves warned.

The pink flamingo worked out well. The clip for the blinky suggests a
bow-tie. I going to strap a blinking pink latex strap-on to the stem
for Friday's ride. Let everybody know I'm a prick too. (|8-{)>

On last night's ride, while mulling a project unrelated to the basket,
it hit me that a net would serve the function. perfectly. A net could
be knotted around the existing framework like macrame. The materials,
tools and information are readily available. It might even look nice.
--
zk

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home