PDA

View Full Version : Re: Upgrade 20 Year Old Trek 400 Road Bike?

Werehatrack
December 20th 05, 02:50 AM
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:29:52 -0500, Steve Sr. >
wrote:

>However, I have a question concerning the fact that the original drive
>train was 6 speed. I doubt that I will be able to find 6 speed rings
>and maybe even 7 speed rings. What will work best with this
>combination? How about what chains will fit the wider cogs in the
>rear? I couldn't find any 6 speed chains in my last trip to
>Performance. Any suggestions?

Any 7- or 8-speed chain will work on a 6x2 setup, and any sprocket
regardless of the number of nominal speeds can be used on the front.

>I would like to take any upgrading slowly as I suspect that if I can
>solve the knee problem with the existing bike it would be much easier
>to convince her to spring for a newer bike that may be a bit more
>ergonomic and probably fit better.

Go for it...but from experience, don't expect the sprocket change to
be all it takes to conquer the knee problems.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

maxo
December 20th 05, 03:04 AM
I kinda like the oval rings for a bike I'm going to do a slow cadence
with, like a citybike or mtb. They suck for high speed spinning. If
anything, they make your knees a little happier. Replace them if you
want, but I doubt it's the problem.

Does she ride 20 y/o Diadoras with slot cleats and quills with this
bike? :P

It just sounds like she needs the bike dialed in for her is all--and
her knee pain should subside.

As far as is it worth upgrading a Trek 400? Heck yeah!! That's a
brilliant frame.

It's this one right?:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/1987/87Trek13.jpg

One that got refurbished:

http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek_galleryBS.htm

bryanska
December 20th 05, 01:41 PM
Maxo said:

>I kinda like the oval rings for a bike I'm going to do a slow cadence
>with, like a citybike or mtb. They suck for high speed spinning. If
>anything, they make your knees a little happier. Replace them if you
>want, but I doubt it's the problem.

I agree. Elliptical rings like the Biopace are engineered to lessen
knee pain. That's probably not the problem. Although it can certainly
be investigated after the bike fits right, if the pain subsists.

catzz66
December 20th 05, 03:50 PM
maxo wrote:

> It's this one right?:
>
> http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/1987/87Trek13.jpg
>
> One that got refurbished:
>
> http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek_galleryBS.htm

Nice looking bike! It shows that if you have a decent frame, you can
enjoy it for a long, long time.

Paul Hobson
December 21st 05, 12:26 AM
catzz66 wrote:
> maxo wrote:
>

>> It's this one right?:
>>
>> http://www.vintage-trek.com/images/trek/1987/87Trek13.jpg
>>
>> One that got refurbished:
>>
>> http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek_galleryBS.htm
>>

> Nice looking bike! It shows that if you have a decent frame, you can
> enjoy it for a long, long time.

I've been trying to find and old trek to build up my "fast fixie." Not
much luck thus far. There's one candidate right now, but the dropouts
are "20 - 22 mm" long. I'm trying to decide if that's long enough to
adjust the chain tension. We'll see...
\\paul

maxo
December 21st 05, 04:32 AM
Paul Hobson wrote:
>There's one candidate right now, but the dropouts
> are "20 - 22 mm" long. I'm trying to decide if that's long enough to
> adjust the chain tension.

That's plenty of room for adjustment. More so than you get with
something like a White Industries eccentric hub. No worries.

I'm pretty lucky that my converted single has @33mm dropouts--I can use
sprockets from 14-20 without adding or removing links.

FWIW, I've found that those dirt cheap single speed *mart (usually KMC)
that cost under $10 are usually a perfect length if you run a fairly
normal gear ratio (42x16 or so) and have moderate length chain stays
like most 80s "sport" bikes.

Paul Hobson
December 21st 05, 06:30 AM
maxo wrote:
> Paul Hobson wrote:
>
>>There's one candidate right now, but the dropouts
>>are "20 - 22 mm" long. I'm trying to decide if that's long enough to
>>adjust the chain tension.
>

> That's plenty of room for adjustment. More so than you get with
> something like a White Industries eccentric hub. No worries.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

> I'm pretty lucky that my converted single has @33mm dropouts--I can use
> sprockets from 14-20 without adding or removing links.

Yeah, my Peugeot has really long dropouts. It's really nice.

> FWIW, I've found that those dirt cheap single speed *mart (usually KMC)
> that cost under $10 are usually a perfect length if you run a fairly
> normal gear ratio (42x16 or so) and have moderate length chain stays
> like most 80s "sport" bikes.

Again, that's good to know. thanks!
\\paul

Google