PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned about a clunk noise?

Coaster
December 20th 05, 04:09 AM
I recently overhauled the bottom bracket on my aluminum Specialized Allez
Elite, primarily to get rid of the creaking noise it was making. The
creaking noise is gone, but it's been gradually replaced by a low clunk
during pedaling, but the noise is not in sync with any pedal strokes and has
no set rhythm. It will even occur a second or two after I stop pedaling,
but not when I've been coasting for a while.

I inspected the bottom exterior of the BB shell and noticed a line that
could either be stress crack or maybe just an impression from manufacturing.
The line is hairline thin, perfectly straight and perpendicular to the bike
frame, so it makes me think that it could be manufacturing related. I can
almost make out a separation of metal but it's really hard to be sure and I
can't feel it.

My question is could a low clunk noise during pedaling as I've described
above be indicative of a cracked frame, perhaps from shear stresses building
up and then being relieved? The bottom bracket shell seems a likely place
for a stress crack given there's a lot of load going through that area.
The bike is an '05 that is ridden almost daily and has one low speed crash.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home