PDA

View Full Version : Some advice the guy at the LBS gave me

Tim Nunes
December 21st 05, 10:34 PM
I recently visited my local bike store to look into getting a CycleOps
Fluid trainer and the gentleman there recommended that when I do get
one, I should also purchase a cheap tire to put on the back.

Right now I have some quality tires on my bike. Apparently the unit
produces lots of heat, and will slowly melt the tire and I'll be left
with a flat spot around the tire.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks.

gds
December 21st 05, 10:39 PM
I got the same advice.
When I lived in the north east ad had to deal with winter I just left
the end of season tire on the bike and by the end of the winter trainer
season it was pretty trashed. If you have a good tire I would replace
it with an el cheapo if you plan to do a lot of trainer vs. outdoor
riding.

December 21st 05, 11:05 PM
Tim Nunes wrote:
> I recently visited my local bike store to look into getting a CycleOps
> Fluid trainer and the gentleman there recommended that when I do get
> one, I should also purchase a cheap tire to put on the back.
>
> Right now I have some quality tires on my bike. Apparently the unit
> produces lots of heat, and will slowly melt the tire and I'll be left
> with a flat spot around the tire.
>
> Anybody have any experience with this?

That's good advice. I ride 1-2K miles/year on a trainer and I
currently own a CycleOps Fluid 2.

I take the idea even further and have a dedicated trainer bike (an old
bike set up with the same dimensions as my good bikes). Riding indoors
will cause your sweat (salt water) to fall right on the front of your
bike. If you ride a lot it can cause rust. A fan will help a little
but it's still not the same as riding outside.

Speaking only from my own experience,
Tom

Ken
December 22nd 05, 03:51 AM
"Tim Nunes" > wrote in news:1135204464.453644.193720
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
> I recently visited my local bike store to look into getting a CycleOps
> Fluid trainer and the gentleman there recommended that when I do get
> one, I should also purchase a cheap tire to put on the back.

He's just trying to sell you an extra tire. Just use a worn out tire. It's
free and will work fine on your trainer.

Tim Nunes
December 22nd 05, 05:47 AM
I do have a worn out tire, but this is a mountain bike I'll be puting
on. The tire I have is a mountain bike tire, and it has some tread
still left on it, though not much. I'll see how noisy it is and do a
little experimentation. Thanks for all your advice.

Dennis P. Harris
December 22nd 05, 10:44 AM
On 21 Dec 2005 21:47:02 -0800 in rec.bicycles.misc, "Tim Nunes"
> wrote:

> I do have a worn out tire, but this is a mountain bike I'll be puting
> on. The tire I have is a mountain bike tire, and it has some tread
> still left on it, though not much. I'll see how noisy it is and do a
> little experimentation.

i just bought the cheapest slick i could find on sale at one of
the catalog places, don't remember which one. the slicker the
quieter. mountain bike treads vibrate far too much, and
aggravated my elbow tendonitis.

Alex Colvin
December 23rd 05, 07:04 PM
>I recently visited my local bike store to look into getting a CycleOps
>Fluid trainer and the gentleman there recommended that when I do get
>one, I should also purchase a cheap tire to put on the back.

I don't know about the heat theory, but I took all the tread off my rear
tire with a wind trainer. It might be because I adjusted the roller too
tight against the tire. But I'd second the recommendation.

--
mac the naïf

jcjordan
December 24th 05, 04:21 AM
Tim Nunes Wrote:
> I recently visited my local bike store to look into getting a CycleOps
> Fluid trainer and the gentleman there recommended that when I do get
> one, I should also purchase a cheap tire to put on the back.
>
> Right now I have some quality tires on my bike. Apparently the unit
> produces lots of heat, and will slowly melt the tire and I'll be left
> with a flat spot around the tire.
>
> Anybody have any experience with this?
>
> Thanks.

I would highly recomend the Continental trainer tire. costs about
AU$40 takes forever to even show any wear (12+ months) and does not
leave the little bits of warn off rubber all over the lounge room floor

--
jcjordan

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home