PDA

View Full Version : Large husband.....

HalfLoop
December 21st 05, 11:33 PM
.....260 pounds, or thereabouts-he wants to cycle, I want to buy him one
(good exercise!)...he's worried that he might have to get a 'special' cycle
to handle his weight??? (We went to a large store and sat him on one-the
tyres were almost flattened by his bulk). Are ordinary cycle tyres up to the
job if they are pumped up hard, or will he need 'heavy duty' ones? What sort
of weight can cycle tyres take?
Thank you
Sara

December 22nd 05, 12:26 AM
HalfLoop wrote:
> ....260 pounds, or thereabouts-he wants to cycle, I want to buy him one
> (good exercise!)...he's worried that he might have to get a 'special' cycle
> to handle his weight??? (We went to a large store and sat him on one-the
> tyres were almost flattened by his bulk). Are ordinary cycle tyres up to the
> job if they are pumped up hard, or will he need 'heavy duty' ones? What sort
> of weight can cycle tyres take?
> Thank you
> Sara

He may want to look for some fairly heavily spoked wheels but otherwise
he should not have a problem. The important thing is to get a decent
quality bike that fits him. Bicycle size and such things as saddle
position are much more important.

All that happened, probably, when he sat on the bike in the store was
that the staff had not pumped up the tires to full inflation. I've seen
that in any number of stores. It does not really make any sense to keep
tires at full pressure when they are sitting in the display floor.

If you and he are serious about the bike you should start looking in
the local bike shops. It is a very good idea to avoid large retailers
like Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire. These large stores seldom (never?) have
trained and qualified staff to advise you nor do they have the
mechanics to properly assemble and maintain a bike.

A good bike store will be able to properly recommend the type of bike
your husband should consider based on all sorts of factors, his size
and physical condition, where and how he plans to ride the bike and so
on. They will have the expertise to properly set up the bike for him
and to do the routine after-sales maintenance that the bike should
have.

You will find that you will pay more at a bike store but the quality
difference is well worth it.Most bikes in large retailers are basically
junk with wheels and are more likely to discourage your husband from
riding than to encourage him.

It is probably not a bad idea to consider buying some cycling shorts
and maybe a jersey and gloves as well. The clothing has evolved over
about 150 years and there are reasons for the somewhat funny clothes.

Oh, and don't forget to buy yourself a nice bike at the same time.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Darin McGrew
December 22nd 05, 12:33 AM
HalfLoop > wrote:
> ....260 pounds, or thereabouts-he wants to cycle, I want to buy him one
> (good exercise!)...he's worried that he might have to get a 'special' cycle
> to handle his weight???

I was at 270# a couple years ago. A "normal" bike should do just fine, if
it fits him and is set up properly. Some tips based on my experience:

- Make sure the bike fits.

- Avoid cheap suspension. For serious off-road riding, consider getting a
bike with quality suspension. Otherwise, avoid suspension. It's another
thing to break, and it adds useless weight.

- Avoid "road" (i.e., racing style) bikes. They can accomodate only skinny
tires, and he'll need something reasonably large. I ride 1.25" road
slicks on my commute bike. I wouldn't want to go much narrower than that.
Other types of bikes (e.g., touring, comfort, hybrid, cyclocross,
mountain bikes) should be able to accomodate reasonably wide tires.

- Keep the tires inflated. Start by inflating them to their maximum
pressure rating.

- Make sure the rear wheel has been properly tensioned and stress relieved.
I was regularly breaking spokes on my commute bike until I had the rear
wheel rebuilt. The spokes stopped breaking. Maybe it was the new spokes
or the 4x pattern (vs. the original 3x pattern), but it was probably just
having the wheel rebuilt by someone who did it properly.

> (We went to a large store and sat him on one-the tyres were almost
> flattened by his bulk).

It sounds like either the tires were too narrow, or they were
underinflated.
--
Darin McGrew, , http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/
Web Design Group, , http://www.HTMLHelp.com/

"It said 'Insert disk #3', but only two will fit..."

Bill Sornson
December 22nd 05, 12:49 AM
HalfLoop wrote:
> ....260 pounds, or thereabouts-he wants to cycle, I want to buy him
> one (good exercise!)...he's worried that he might have to get a
> 'special' cycle to handle his weight??? (We went to a large store and
> sat him on one-the tyres were almost flattened by his bulk). Are
> ordinary cycle tyres up to the job if they are pumped up hard, or
> will he need 'heavy duty' ones? What sort of weight can cycle tyres
> take?

Plenty.

You say you visited a "large store" -- I take it not a bike shop? (LBS =
local bike shop.)

First question is what kind of riding will he be doing? Road? Road only?
Bike paths? Dirt or gravel? Trails? Real ones (difficult) or just smooth
dirt?

Go to some LBSs. Talk to 'em. Listen to 'em. Leave if they're not
friendly and/or helpful. Test ride a few bikes. The one he likes will
"speak" to him; time to open the wallet! :)

Bill "PS: Get the red one" S.

Mike Kruger
December 22nd 05, 03:21 AM
"HalfLoop" > wrote in message
> ....260 pounds, or thereabouts-he wants to cycle, I want to buy him one
> (good exercise!)...he's worried that he might have to get a 'special'
> cycle
> to handle his weight??? (We went to a large store and sat him on one-the
> tyres were almost flattened by his bulk). Are ordinary cycle tyres up to
> the
> job if they are pumped up hard, or will he need 'heavy duty' ones? What
> sort
> of weight can cycle tyres take?
> Thank you
> Sara

You've already gotten good advice I need not repeat.
Just remember that your husband is NOT too heavy for proper bicycle
equipment. Tandems, for example, have two wheels just like other bicycles,
but a tandem team will generally weigh more than 260 total. A touring bike
like the Trek 520 will be designed to carry a rider and about 60 pounds of
various camping gear.

He might find Mike Magnuson's book "Heft on Wheels" inspirational (or, you
might find that the review explains a bit more about what your husband might
be trying to do):
http://www.breaktech.net/EmergingWritersForum/View_Review.aspx?id=286

maxo
December 22nd 05, 04:50 AM
If he wants something he can knock about the neighborhood on, and use
as a cafe & milk bike when he loses some pounds, a Trek Clyde might be
just the ticket:

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/citybike/clyde.jsp

I'll be honest, I hate the handlebars on that bike, and would probably
switch them to some Nitto North Roads (think regular 3-spd bars, in
alloy), but I like the hub transmission, fenders, and low maintainance.
Wheels seem to be tough as nails also.

It's a cool bike that prevents your husband from making any excuses to
ride. Any clothes, in pretty much any weather, and the drivetrain's not
going to go wonky--so he'll have to ride the darned thing. Such a bike
makes you feel like you're just toolin' about, not trying to exercise
or something crazy like that. :P

I wouldn't mind one with a big Wald basket up front--very fifties
delivery boy. Cool stuff.

Not the thing for if he gets into major mileage, but something fun to
consider.

Peter Cole
December 22nd 05, 12:49 PM
HalfLoop wrote:
> ....260 pounds, or thereabouts-he wants to cycle, I want to buy him one
> (good exercise!)...he's worried that he might have to get a 'special' cycle
> to handle his weight??? (We went to a large store and sat him on one-the
> tyres were almost flattened by his bulk). Are ordinary cycle tyres up to the
> job if they are pumped up hard, or will he need 'heavy duty' ones? What sort
> of weight can cycle tyres take?
> Thank you
> Sara

A non-suspension mountain bike might be a good first bike --
inexpensive, rugged, simple. Switch the tires to smooth ones if riding
exclusively on the road.

You're better off buying at a real bike store since, while you pay a
premium, the bikes are usually better quality, better assembled, and you
have the support of the shop in the future.

Art Harris
December 22nd 05, 01:17 PM
Peter Cole wrote:

> A non-suspension mountain bike might be a good first bike -- inexpensive, rugged, simple.

Agree, but are there any non-suspension MTBs available? Maybe a rugged
Hybrid or touring bike with strong 36 spoke wheels. Have the shop
tension and stress relieve the spokes.

> You're better off buying at a real bike store

Absolutely. Especially for someone of above average weight. A
Department store / Sporting goods store bike would be a disaster.

Art Harris

maxo
December 22nd 05, 05:17 PM
Art Harris wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
>
> > A non-suspension mountain bike might be a good first bike -- inexpensive, rugged, simple.
>
> Agree, but are there any non-suspension MTBs available? Maybe a rugged
> Hybrid or touring bike with strong 36 spoke wheels. Have the shop
> tension and stress relieve the spokes.

A vist to my LBS a week ago showed quite a few rigid hybrids, but no
suspensionless mtb's.

One can always find one used, or switch out a fork for under a hundred
if it's really necessary.

Seems that there are plenty of "comfort" and "cruiser" bikes out there
that are plenty rugged, and priced under $500.

If the OP's husband wants a road bike, or go-fast flat bar/hybrid bike,
I'd spend some time talking to the LBS about a stronger rear wheel. For
example, the budget priced Giant FCR4 is a good all round bike, but I
don't know if I'd trust that 32 spoke rear wheel to a more stout
rider--but it can always be swapped out. ;)

gds
December 22nd 05, 06:25 PM
and so far not one intentional misinterpretation of the topic subject

catzz66
December 22nd 05, 06:26 PM
maxo wrote:

> If the OP's husband wants a road bike, or go-fast flat bar/hybrid bike,
> I'd spend some time talking to the LBS about a stronger rear wheel. For
> example, the budget priced Giant FCR4 is a good all round bike, but I
> don't know if I'd trust that 32 spoke rear wheel to a more stout
> rider--but it can always be swapped out. ;)

Well said. I would not trust the bike shop to offer the stronger wheels
on their own.

Bill Sornson
December 22nd 05, 06:30 PM
gds wrote:

> and so far not one intentional misinterpretation of the topic subject

too easy

wafflycat
December 22nd 05, 06:41 PM
"HalfLoop" > wrote in message
> ....260 pounds, or thereabouts-he wants to cycle, I want to buy him one
> (good exercise!)...he's worried that he might have to get a 'special'
> cycle
> to handle his weight??? (We went to a large store and sat him on one-the
> tyres were almost flattened by his bulk). Are ordinary cycle tyres up to
> the
> job if they are pumped up hard, or will he need 'heavy duty' ones? What
> sort
> of weight can cycle tyres take?
> Thank you
> Sara

Tyres properly pumped up will handle your husband's weight. I seriously
doubt the ones in the store were pumped up sufficiently. I know of many a
heavier cyclist than your husband. So far, none have crushed a bike ;-) The
key thing is to get a bike that fits him and to avoid ultra-light racing
wheels. A good hybrid or tourer should provide your husband with good
service and enjoyable cycling. If you can, avoid buying a bike from a 'large
store' if by that you mean something like a supermarket/department store.
Get him to a proper bike shop, fitted for bike, try a few out before buying.

Cheers, helen s

HalfLoop
December 22nd 05, 09:05 PM
A very sincere 'thank you' to all who replied to my post-lots of good advice
and given in a friendly way, God bless you all!
We shall do some serious bike shopping in the new year and if you are
interested, will let you know how we get on.
Thanks again, and Happy Holidays.
Sara

Veloise
December 23rd 05, 01:03 AM
Sara wrote:
> ...if you are interested, will let you know how we get on...

Girl, are you kidding?!?!? We are on the edge of our seats waiting to
find out! (It's not exactly century [100 mile rides] weather for most
of us, so we have to get our bicycle fix somehow.) Don't even think
about *not* returning to tell us how you fared; it's in the contract!

Check out your library for a not-too-long-ago issue of the magazine we
call "BuySycling." It had several articles about heavy cyclists, body
proportions, wheel strength, bike recommendations, and so forth. Hey, I
just found it. September 2005.

Be sure to "prime the pump" for DH with a little something from the
LBS. Water bottle? Gift certificate? Bike club membership?

HTH

--Karen D.

Patrick Lamb
December 23rd 05, 02:52 AM
On 22 Dec 2005 05:17:55 -0800, "Art Harris" > wrote:

>Peter Cole wrote:
>
>> A non-suspension mountain bike might be a good first bike -- inexpensive, rugged, simple.
>
>Agree, but are there any non-suspension MTBs available? Maybe a rugged
>Hybrid or touring bike with strong 36 spoke wheels. Have the shop
>tension and stress relieve the spokes.

Don't know if you can get a touring bike in the under-$500 price
range, but the rigid MTB or hybrid is a real possibility. Note that
several manufacturers are selling "non-suspension" mountain bikes with
semi-slick tires and calling them "hybrids."

>> You're better off buying at a real bike store
>
>Absolutely. Especially for someone of above average weight. A
>Department store / Sporting goods store bike would be a disaster.

Ditto.
Email address works as is.

catzz66
December 23rd 05, 01:39 PM
Veloise wrote:
> Sara wrote:
>
>>...if you are interested, will let you know how we get on...
>

> Girl, are you kidding?!?!? We are on the edge of our seats waiting to
> find out! (It's not exactly century [100 mile rides] weather for most
> of us, so we have to get our bicycle fix somehow.) Don't even think
> about *not* returning to tell us how you fared; it's in the contract!
>
> Check out your library for a not-too-long-ago issue of the magazine we
> call "BuySycling." It had several articles about heavy cyclists, body
> proportions, wheel strength, bike recommendations, and so forth. Hey, I
> just found it. September 2005.
>
> Be sure to "prime the pump" for DH with a little something from the
> LBS. Water bottle? Gift certificate? Bike club membership?
>
> HTH
>
> --Karen D.

Bicycling is really not a bad magazine for beginning cyclists. If it
helps to motivate your husband, then good for you. There have been some
articles the last year about people who have lost weight by cycling
which in turn reinforces a healthier lifestyle. There is also a program
called Bike World or something like that where companies donate bikes to
a particular town and follow up on how it changes their lifestyles.

For more hardcore enthusiasts, the articles seem cheesy, though they
might not to everyone.

Claire Petersky
December 23rd 05, 03:01 PM
"catzz66" > wrote in message

> Bicycling is really not a bad magazine for beginning cyclists. If it
> helps to motivate your husband, then good for you.

The OP, though, I think had a UK email address. There might be better
British magazines for her to consider.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

mark
December 23rd 05, 03:31 PM
"Claire Petersky" wrote
> The OP, though, I think had a UK email address. There might be better
> British magazines for her to consider.

Cycling Plus?

uk.rec.cycling would be a very helpful newsgroup, as well.
--
mark

Colorado Bicycler
December 23rd 05, 04:39 PM
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=150310

catzz66
December 23rd 05, 05:51 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> "catzz66" > wrote in message
>

>>Bicycling is really not a bad magazine for beginning cyclists. If it
>>helps to motivate your husband, then good for you.
>

> The OP, though, I think had a UK email address. There might be better
> British magazines for her to consider.

Thanks, Claire. I don't know of anything similar in the UK. The only
UK publications I see in the bookstores here in the southwestern US are
a couple of mountain bike enthusiast and pro cycling mags. I've bought
them from time to time and they are interesting to me, but probably
would be way over the head of a beginner.

Veloise
December 23rd 05, 06:29 PM
catzz66 wrote:
> Thanks, Claire. I don't know of anything similar in the UK. The only
> UK publications I see in the bookstores here in the southwestern US are
> a couple of mountain bike enthusiast and pro cycling mags. I've bought
> them from time to time and they are interesting to me, but probably
> would be way over the head of a beginner.

There's always the CTC. (Or has it jumped the shark like another
organization I could name?)

--Karen D.

Patrick Lamb
December 24th 05, 05:11 AM
On 23 Dec 2005 10:29:19 -0800, "Veloise" >
wrote:

>catzz66 wrote:
>> Thanks, Claire. I don't know of anything similar in the UK. The only
>> UK publications I see in the bookstores here in the southwestern US are
>> a couple of mountain bike enthusiast and pro cycling mags. I've bought
>> them from time to time and they are interesting to me, but probably
>> would be way over the head of a beginner.
>
>There's always the CTC. (Or has it jumped the shark like another
>organization I could name?)

I hate to ask, but exactly what does "jumped the shark" mean in this
context??

Pat

Email address works as is.

Skyhooks
December 24th 05, 07:08 AM
Patrick Lamb wrote:

> On 23 Dec 2005 10:29:19 -0800, "Veloise" >
> wrote:
>
> >catzz66 wrote:
> >> Thanks, Claire. I don't know of anything similar in the UK. The only
> >> UK publications I see in the bookstores here in the southwestern US are
> >> a couple of mountain bike enthusiast and pro cycling mags. I've bought
> >> them from time to time and they are interesting to me, but probably
> >> would be way over the head of a beginner.
> >
> >There's always the CTC. (Or has it jumped the shark like another
> >organization I could name?)
>
> I hate to ask, but exactly what does "jumped the shark" mean in this
> context??
>
> Pat
>
> Email address works as is.

I ditto too, - what's "jumped the shark" mean? Such a curious saying.
I can vaguely guess its meaning from the context, but then, I'd probably
guess incorrectly.

Skyhooks,
h m a r d i s
""aahhtt""
u i u c
"ddoott""
e d u

Veloise
December 24th 05, 02:18 PM
Little Meow wrote:
> "Jump the shark"
>
> It's reference to Fonzi's shark jumping stunt in an episode of "Happy Days", and has > entered the pop culture lexicon to describe the moment when something begins to
> decline.
>

> http://www.jumptheshark.com/

http://www.labreform.org

HTH

--Karen D.

Veloise
December 24th 05, 02:22 PM
Little Meow wrote:
> "Jump the shark"
>
> It's reference to Fonzi's shark jumping stunt in an episode of "Happy Days", and has > entered the pop culture lexicon to describe the moment when something begins to
> decline.
>

> http://www.jumptheshark.com/

http://www.labreform.org

HTH

--Karen D.

Bill Sornson
December 24th 05, 03:27 PM
Veloise wrote:
> Little Meow wrote:
>> "Jump the shark"
>>
>> It's reference to Fonzi's shark jumping stunt in an episode of
>> "Happy Days", and has > entered the pop culture lexicon to describe
>> the moment when something begins to decline.
>>

>> http://www.jumptheshark.com/
>
> http://www.labreform.org
>
> HTH

Scratched my head /both/ times you posted it :-D

Bill Sornson
December 24th 05, 05:18 PM
Little Meow wrote:
> Bill Sornson wrote in :
>
>> Veloise wrote:

>>> http://www.labreform.org
>>>
>>> HTH
>>
>> Scratched my head /both/ times you posted it :-D

> Upthread somewhere, someone asked:
>
> So... the link could be a pointer to a page about LAB jumping shark,
> or the link itself implies that LABreform jumped the shark.

Ah. Missed (or ignored) that part! Thanks.

> More importantly, due to the confusion, this thread has jumped the
> shark.

Shakes at Arnold's for everyone!

Bill "old" S.

Google