PDA

View Full Version : Experience with internal hubs?

Earl Bollinger
December 27th 05, 04:30 AM
"Beverly" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm currently looking at a new bike for a handicapped adult who has slight
> balance problems. She currently rides a Giant hybrid with the seat low
> enough for her to touch the ground with the balls of her feet when she
> stops. This has worked for a few years but I think she would enjoy biking
> more with the flat foot technology offered. She never stands to pedal and
> all riding is done on rail-to-trails so climbing is limited to long
> gradual
> grades. This won't be a high mileage bike - around 80 miles per month in
> warm weather. Of course, I might take is for a spin occasionally for a
> change from the road bike<g>
>
> I've never owned a bike with an internal hub so I don't know the pros and
> cons of them other than the advantages listed on the website. Are there
> any
> problems I should be aware of before purchasing the bike? I'm looking at
> the two models in the links. I'm also debating on getting one with the
> coaster brakes. She's never rode a bike with coaster brakes and I don't
> think adding them would be the best idea - but it might help save the toes
> of her shoes as I sometimes have to remind her to use the brakes instead
> of
> dragging her feet.
>
> Internal hub/coaster brakes:
> http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/06bikes/townie/06_twn_23.html
>
> Internal hub/V type brakes:
> http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/06bikes/townie/06_twn_25.html
>
> TIA
> Beverly

Although I have no objections to coaster brake equipped bikes, I have a
couple bikes with coaster brakes on them myself too.
Coaster brakes do work when it is cold wet muddy unlike most V-Brakes.
But coaster brakes usually have more drag to them than the other hubs do,
you may or may not notice this drag when riding around.
Plus you can't just backpedal ot move the pedals easily to make for a good
start after a stop like you can with regular freewheeling hubs.
Then coaster brakes tend to heat up and fade out quickly on long steep
downhill runs.
I would suggest sticking to V-brakes like you already have her using, no
sense making it more confusing or difficult.
If you expect her to be riding in foul wet weather, then maybe the roller
brake option might be worth it. But it is heavier than v-brakes though.

Beverly
December 27th 05, 06:35 PM
[...]

landotter
December 28th 05, 02:47 AM
That's a really great bike for your needs.

As far as the coaster brake: It depends on what you're used to. Anbody
that's a fairly spirited rider should rightfully sneer at such a brake,
but for other folks it's perfect. My mom grew up riding bikes in Europe
in the 50-60s and refused to ride the restored hand braked bike I gave
her. I finally fixed up an early 60s German woman's bike with a Sachs
coaster brake and she's happy as can be. I doubt it will need lubing
again in her lifetime.

I'd go for the coaster, as it's also got a front hand brake--that way
your friend can have two very different alternatives for stopping.

If you're borrowing the bike a lot, go for the twin vee brakes. :P

Bob
December 29th 05, 02:08 AM
Beverly wrote in part:

> I'm currently looking at a new bike for a handicapped adult who has slight
> balance problems. She currently rides a Giant hybrid with the seat low
> enough for her to touch the ground with the balls of her feet when she
> stops. This has worked for a few years but I think she would enjoy biking
> more with the flat foot technology offered.

What exactly is "flat foot technology"? (No cop jokes, please. I'm sure
I've heard them all.)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

December 29th 05, 02:46 AM
My uncle has a balance problem eventually made bicycling hazardous. He
switched from a bicycle to a recumbent tricycle made by Catrike
(http://www.catrike.com/) and has been very happy.

landotter
December 29th 05, 04:22 AM
Bob wrote:

> What exactly is "flat foot technology"? (No cop jokes, please. I'm sure
> I've heard them all.)

Check out the geometry of the OP's linked bike. Then have a google and
look at the Electra Townie--same concept.

By placing the saddle further back to get leg extension, you can lower
it and get the feet closer to the ground.

A guy I see on the paths around here swears by his Townie, so for some
folks they're a great fit. Personally I like to rock my hips forward a
couple degrees and ride in the hoods--but I've got scoliosis and the
old back likes being stretched out.

In addition to giving new or special needs riders a lower saddle, it
looks kinda "cruisery" and for a tootlin' around bike--who cares about
perfect ergonomics--style is everything. :P

Beverly
December 30th 05, 12:37 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My uncle has a balance problem eventually made bicycling hazardous. He
> switched from a bicycle to a recumbent tricycle made by Catrike
> (http://www.catrike.com/) and has been very happy.

I wasn't real clear in my original post about my daughter's handicap. She
has slight motor coordination problems and the starting and stopping while
having to come down off the seat sometimes cause a problem for her. If her
feet could touch the ground while she's seated it would solve the problem.

I've taken a look at a few tricycles. I figure I won't always be able to
ride the road bike and something like them would still allow me to get out
and ride.

Beverly
December 30th 05, 12:49 AM
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll let my daughter decide if she wants
the coaster brakes after we take the bike out for a spin. She's only set on
it at the bike shop and loved the fact her feet touched the ground while she
was seated. She has slight motor coordination problems and the
starting/stopping while having to deal with getting up or down on the seat
often results in some wobbly moments.

"Beverly" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm currently looking at a new bike for a handicapped adult who has slight
> balance problems. She currently rides a Giant hybrid with the seat low
> enough for her to touch the ground with the balls of her feet when she
> stops. This has worked for a few years but I think she would enjoy biking
> more with the flat foot technology offered. She never stands to pedal and
> all riding is done on rail-to-trails so climbing is limited to long
gradual
> grades. This won't be a high mileage bike - around 80 miles per month in
> warm weather. Of course, I might take is for a spin occasionally for a
> change from the road bike<g>
>
> I've never owned a bike with an internal hub so I don't know the pros and
> cons of them other than the advantages listed on the website. Are there
any
> problems I should be aware of before purchasing the bike? I'm looking at
> the two models in the links. I'm also debating on getting one with the
> coaster brakes. She's never rode a bike with coaster brakes and I don't
> think adding them would be the best idea - but it might help save the toes
> of her shoes as I sometimes have to remind her to use the brakes instead
of
> dragging her feet.
>
> Internal hub/coaster brakes:
> http://www.electrabike.com/04/bikes/06bikes/townie/06_twn_23.html