PDA

View Full Version : Picture of old bike, à propos of nothing at all.

DaWei
December 28th 05, 07:43 PM
Bored at work.

http://www.hpsd.k12.pa.us/archives/photos/community/1870bicycle.jpg

Neil Brooks
December 28th 05, 07:51 PM
"DaWei" > wrote:

>http://www.hpsd.k12.pa.us/archives/photos/community/1870bicycle.jpg

Never seen anybody actually pop a wheelie on one of those....
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

gds
December 28th 05, 07:54 PM
different idea on standover height, huh!

DaWei
December 28th 05, 08:50 PM
A co-worker has just informed me that some guy has apparently taken it
upon himself to build replicas (somewhat modernized, perhaps) of those
old bikes with the tiny rear wheels, and that they're available for
demos and sale somewhere "around 122nd Street" in Manhattan. She also
said that they run from $750 to $30,000 (that's the price range she
gave me anyway). I can't see myself parting company with money to buy
one but I'm guessing it would be fun to test ride.

Paul Hobson
December 28th 05, 08:57 PM
DaWei wrote:
> A co-worker has just informed me that some guy has apparently taken it
> upon himself to build replicas (somewhat modernized, perhaps) of those
> old bikes with the tiny rear wheels, and that they're available for
> demos and sale somewhere "around 122nd Street" in Manhattan. She also
> said that they run from $750 to $30,000 (that's the price range she
> gave me anyway). I can't see myself parting company with money to buy
> one but I'm guessing it would be fun to test ride.

Bike South (I think that's the name) is a shop in Decatur, GA that has
one for sale. No word on the price...I'll see if I can stop by and find
out.

gds
December 28th 05, 09:47 PM
DaWei wrote:
> A co-worker has just informed me that some guy has apparently taken it
> upon himself to build replicas (somewhat modernized, perhaps) of those
> old bikes with the tiny rear wheels, and that they're available for
> demos and sale somewhere "around 122nd Street" in Manhattan. She also
> said that they run from $750 to $30,000 (that's the price range she
> gave me anyway). I can't see myself parting company with money to buy
> one but I'm guessing it would be fun to test ride.

That is quite a price range. I don't see $30 K for new replica as
opposed to an original but everyone has their own views. To me that
represents 5 + pro quality road bikes- almost enought to fit out a team.

DaWei
December 28th 05, 10:01 PM
I'm inclined to agree with you. Probably way closer to $750 than
$30,000, unless of course the latter refers to an original from that
era, to be purchased by a museum perhaps...

Zoot Katz
December 28th 05, 10:08 PM
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:51:41 GMT, Neil Brooks >
wrote:

>"DaWei" > wrote:
>
>>http://www.hpsd.k12.pa.us/archives/photos/community/1870bicycle.jpg
>
>Never seen anybody actually pop a wheelie on one of those....

Considering the exposure times required for that film (glass plate?)
it's a darn impressive track stand.
--
zk

Tom Weaver
December 29th 05, 10:42 PM
DaWei wrote:

I can't see myself parting company with money to buy
> one but I'm guessing it would be fun to test ride.

I actually got to ride one for a couple hundred yards last summer on
RAGBRAI. It really was fun and pretty much the way you think it would
be. The most surprising thing was turning the front wheel. There's a
lot of centrifugal force. Given a chance, I'd do it again in a flash.

A couple years ago someone actually rode one all the way across Iowa on
RAGBRAI. Considering these things have no brakes or gears, it was quite
a feat.

Tom

Tom

Paul Turner
December 30th 05, 06:25 PM
Zoot Katz wrote:

> Considering the exposure times required for that film (glass plate?)
> it's a darn impressive track stand.

I'll bet the rider is balancing against the fence rail. He seems to be on
the wrong side of the fence for riding -- in the weeds rather than on the
pavement.

--
Paul Turner

DaWei
December 30th 05, 08:37 PM
Someone rode one all the way across Iowa? Man, to me that would be
impressive even using a conventional,
post-Woodrow-Wilson-administration bike. But on one of THOSE things...
impressive!

Paul Hobson
December 30th 05, 08:42 PM
DaWei wrote:
> Someone rode one all the way across Iowa? Man, to me that would be
> impressive even using a conventional,
> post-Woodrow-Wilson-administration bike. But on one of THOSE things...
> impressive!

psshhhh! Iowa is flat!!! :) haha

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

flaps
December 30th 05, 10:10 PM
In article >,
says...
> DaWei wrote:
> > Someone rode one all the way across Iowa? Man, to me that would be
> > impressive even using a conventional,
> > post-Woodrow-Wilson-administration bike. But on one of THOSE things...
> > impressive!
> >

> psshhhh! Iowa is flat!!! :) haha

How about a crazy Austrian doing a 1000K tour (about 620 miles) from
Sydney to Melbourne?

Followed by a side trip to Tasmania to join 50 others on a sprint race
down an airport runway and some slalom racing.

http://www.wuk.at/hochrad/berichte/georg_australien_2003_eng.php

--
Flaps

wvantwiller
January 1st 06, 05:55 PM
"Paul Turner" > wrote in
:

> Zoot Katz wrote:
>
>> Considering the exposure times required for that film (glass plate?)
>> it's a darn impressive track stand.
>
> I'll bet the rider is balancing against the fence rail. He seems to be
> on the wrong side of the fence for riding -- in the weeds rather than
> on the pavement.
>
> --
> Paul Turner

Which would be the right side for balancing?

wvantwiller
January 1st 06, 05:57 PM
"DaWei" > wrote in news:1135799014.813378.104220
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Bored at work.
>
> http://www.hpsd.k12.pa.us/archives/photos/community/1870bicycle.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/