PDA

View Full Version : Mountain/All Terrain Bike vs. Hybrid Bike

December 30th 05, 12:27 AM
I have been thinking about buying a bike for a couple of years, mostly
for riding around the neighborhood and bike paths (paved and unpaved,
like the C&O Canal and the Capital Crescent Trail). Am looking to spend
under $500 for the bike itself and splurge on required accessories like
the helmet and lock. Would an all-terrain bike or hybrid bike be
better? I would be riding on mostly flat terrain and gently sloping
hills. I am looking at both new and used bikes (although I live in the
US and there doesn't seem to be much of a market for used ones). I
heard the kind of bikes at Sears and Walmart (& similar mass-market
department stores) are inferior because they are made of cheaper,
heavier material. Are there other problems with them? Sorry for all the
questions, but seriously looking for advice. Thank you.

Matt O'Toole
December 30th 05, 02:30 AM
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:27:47 -0800, laxgrrl wrote:

> I have been thinking about buying a bike for a couple of years, mostly
> for riding around the neighborhood and bike paths (paved and unpaved,
> like the C&O Canal and the Capital Crescent Trail). Am looking to spend
> under $500 for the bike itself and splurge on required accessories like
> the helmet and lock. Would an all-terrain bike or hybrid bike be better?
> I would be riding on mostly flat terrain and gently sloping hills. I am
> looking at both new and used bikes (although I live in the US and there
> doesn't seem to be much of a market for used ones). I heard the kind of
> bikes at Sears and Walmart (& similar mass-market department stores) are
> inferior because they are made of cheaper, heavier material. Are there
> other problems with them? Sorry for all the questions, but seriously
> looking for advice. Thank you.

A "hybrid" is probably better suited to this, because it has faster tires
and gearing. Hybrid tires are still plenty wide for unpaved rail-trails,
etc. -- you don't need an ATB.

Walmart-style bikes are cheap and serve many people well. But they are
indeed made of cheaper, heavier materials, and not as well put together.
Visit your local bike shop and buy one of their lower-priced brand name
hybrids. You can get a great basic bike for $3-350, which will serve you
well for years. It will be assembled and adjusted well to begin with, plus
you'll have some free follow-up service, as well as warranty service
should anything go wrong.

At $300-350 you'll still have plenty left over for accessories, clothing,
etc. These are just as important to your riding experience as the bike
itself. Most new riders spend too much on the bike, and not enough on
the rest.

If you're lucky, you might find a bike on sale, especially now that it's
winter.

You can certainly get a great deal on a used bike, but I don't recommend
this unless you know what you're doing.

You might mention here where you live, so a forum member could recommend a
good bike shop, or perhaps a good deal they saw locally.

Matt O.

Ken M
December 30th 05, 11:32 AM
wrote:
> I have been thinking about buying a bike for a couple of years, mostly
> for riding around the neighborhood and bike paths (paved and unpaved,
> like the C&O Canal and the Capital Crescent Trail). Am looking to spend
> under $500 for the bike itself and splurge on required accessories like
> the helmet and lock. Would an all-terrain bike or hybrid bike be
> better? I would be riding on mostly flat terrain and gently sloping
> hills. I am looking at both new and used bikes (although I live in the
> US and there doesn't seem to be much of a market for used ones). I
> heard the kind of bikes at Sears and Walmart (& similar mass-market
> department stores) are inferior because they are made of cheaper,
> heavier material. Are there other problems with them? Sorry for all the
> questions, but seriously looking for advice. Thank you.

From the sounds of it a hybrid might be the right bike for your riding.
I have a Raleigh hybrid that is good for that type of riding.

Ken
P.S. Mine is the c200 goto http://www.raleighusa.com for the complete line.

--
[T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

di
December 30th 05, 01:54 PM
"Matt O'Toole" > wrote in message
g...
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:27:47 -0800, laxgrrl wrote:
>
>> I have been thinking about buying a bike for a couple of years, mostly
>> for riding around the neighborhood and bike paths (paved and unpaved,
>> like the C&O Canal and the Capital Crescent Trail). Am looking to spend
>> under $500 for the bike itself and splurge on required accessories like
>> the helmet and lock. Would an all-terrain bike or hybrid bike be better?
>> I would be riding on mostly flat terrain and gently sloping hills. I am
>> looking at both new and used bikes (although I live in the US and there
>> doesn't seem to be much of a market for used ones). I heard the kind of
>> bikes at Sears and Walmart (& similar mass-market department stores) are
>> inferior because they are made of cheaper, heavier material. Are there
>> other problems with them? Sorry for all the questions, but seriously
>> looking for advice. Thank you.
>
> A "hybrid" is probably better suited to this, because it has faster tires
> and gearing. Hybrid tires are still plenty wide for unpaved rail-trails,
> etc. -- you don't need an ATB.

I have to go with the Mountain Bike, you can change the tire size and be
compatible with any Hybrid, the main difference will be the more upright
riding position of the Hybrid. Later if desired, you can still have an
off-road bike by changing back to the original tires. Most entry level
Mountain Bikes in the $300 to $500 range from the LBS will last for years
with the type riding you describe.

Matt O'Toole
December 30th 05, 06:22 PM
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 07:54:00 -0600, di wrote:

> I have to go with the Mountain Bike, you can change the tire size and be
> compatible with any Hybrid, the main difference will be the more
> upright riding position of the Hybrid. Later if desired, you can
> still have an off-road bike by changing back to the original tires.
> Most entry level Mountain Bikes in the $300 to $500 range from the LBS
> will last for years with the type riding you describe.

Entry level MTBs and hybrids are basically the same thing, except for
tires and maybe gearing. Many have exactly the same frames and other
parts, including 26" wheels, as well as riding position. Forget the
theoretical differences -- look at what's actually available on the bike
shop floor, for $350 or so.

Especially in this price range, it makes more sense to buy a bike equipped
as needed to begin with, rather than screw around with swapping parts.
You're likely to pay $20-30 *each* for new tires at a local bike shop. So
get a bike that has the tires you want in the first place.

Matt O.

Ken M
December 30th 05, 11:46 PM
Matt O'Toole wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 07:54:00 -0600, di wrote:
>

>>I have to go with the Mountain Bike, you can change the tire size and be
>>compatible with any Hybrid, the main difference will be the more
>>upright riding position of the Hybrid. Later if desired, you can
>>still have an off-road bike by changing back to the original tires.
>>Most entry level Mountain Bikes in the $300 to $500 range from the LBS
>>will last for years with the type riding you describe.

From the sounds of how the op plans to ride this bike, I think an MTB
is a bit overkill. And they might prefer the upright position.

> Entry level MTBs and hybrids are basically the same thing, except for
> tires and maybe gearing. Many have exactly the same frames and other
> parts, including 26" wheels, as well as riding position. Forget the
> theoretical differences -- look at what's actually available on the bike
> shop floor, for $350 or so.

While a lot of the hybrids have 26" wheels and tires. Some do not. Mine
has 700's.

> Especially in this price range, it makes more sense to buy a bike equipped
> as needed to begin with, rather than screw around with swapping parts.
> You're likely to pay $20-30 *each* for new tires at a local bike shop. So
> get a bike that has the tires you want in the first place.

Ken

--
[T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles
per gallon. ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Tom Keats
December 31st 05, 12:00 AM
In article >,
Ken M > writes:

>>>I have to go with the Mountain Bike, you can change the tire size and be
>>>compatible with any Hybrid, the main difference will be the more
>>>upright riding position of the Hybrid. Later if desired, you can
>>>still have an off-road bike by changing back to the original tires.
>>>Most entry level Mountain Bikes in the $300 to $500 range from the LBS
>>>will last for years with the type riding you describe.
>>
> From the sounds of how the op plans to ride this bike, I think an MTB
> is a bit overkill. And they might prefer the upright position.

I guess it depends on what you call an MTB. My own '80s vintage MTB
(Norco Bigfoot) with its eyelets for racks 'n fenders, rigid fork
and relatively (to other MTBs) relaxed geometry might qualify as a
hybrid under today's definitions. Actually what I've got may be
almost ideal for offroad/back-country touring.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Ken M
December 31st 05, 12:09 AM
Tom Keats wrote:

>> From the sounds of how the op plans to ride this bike, I think an MTB
>>is a bit overkill. And they might prefer the upright position.
>

> I guess it depends on what you call an MTB. My own '80s vintage MTB
> (Norco Bigfoot) with its eyelets for racks 'n fenders, rigid fork
> and relatively (to other MTBs) relaxed geometry might qualify as a
> hybrid under today's definitions. Actually what I've got may be
> almost ideal for offroad/back-country touring.

Well I have noticed that some older MTB have a more relaxed geometry, I
had an old steel framed rigid forked hardtail that had close to the same
riding position as my "new" hybrid. But I much prefer the 700c wheels
and tires and would not want to go back to mtb tires.

Ken
--
[T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles
per gallon. ~Bill Strickland, The Quotable Cyclist

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home