PDA

View Full Version : Website -- can you still view

Claire Petersky
December 30th 05, 12:58 AM
I added my essay, "Get off the ****ing Road" to my website, and I am now
concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?

The main page is: http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/ (it still redirects to
the welcome page, I'll fix that later)
The specific page is: http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/road.html

Thank you for your assistance. I have a cold, so I'm at home, and have the
leisure to fiddle with all of this.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

Neil Brooks
December 30th 05, 01:58 AM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote:

>I added my essay, "Get off the ****ing Road" to my website, and I am now
>concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
>certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?
>
>The main page is: http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/ (it still redirects to
>the welcome page, I'll fix that later)
>The specific page is: http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/road.html
>
>Thank you for your assistance. I have a cold, so I'm at home, and have the
>leisure to fiddle with all of this.

1) Mozilla Firefox: no problem.

2) Nice prose!

3) Chicken soup. It couldn't hurt.

4) I believe the first road-****ing was Macadam and Eve, no?

5) Done improperly, or unconventionally, the result, I believe, is an
asphalt.

6) I'm thinking Beatles. Either "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" or,
perhaps, "While My Gui-TAR Gently Weeps?"

7) If one is, literally, ****ing the road, would this not be properly
termed "aggregating?"

8) Is a quickie something best executed on the expressway?

9) Would a trip up the dirt road ... oh, never mind.

Feel better....
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

Tom Keats
December 30th 05, 02:59 AM
In article et>,
"Claire Petersky" > writes:
> I added my essay, "Get off the ****ing Road" to my website, and I am now
> concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
> certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?

Works okay for Netscape 4.8 under FreeBSD's Linux compatability.

> Thank you for your assistance. I have a cold, so I'm at home, and have the
> leisure to fiddle with all of this.

I'll second Neil's "feel better" wishes.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Ted
December 30th 05, 04:28 AM
Dear Claire:
I thank you for your enlightenment. I had not considered that
angle before but now I more understand why riding is so enjoyable. It
also explains why I love to head out late at night and prefer the
solitary road. I never feel as satisfied after a ride in busy areas.
I know those youngsters are addressing me as they use the second
person pronoun in their call.
I access this group through Google Groups so I do not miss any
posts. Unfortunately, that also means I notice all of trolls. They
seem much more frequent. Hopefully he will tire of it soon.
I hope your upper respiratory infection is as fleet as you.

Ted

mark
December 30th 05, 05:18 AM
"Claire Petersky" wrote ...
>I added my essay, "Get off the ****ing Road" to my website, and I am now
>concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
>certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?

I use Earthlink with no parental controls, IE 6 for a browser ( I know, I
know, Firefox is the cool thing). I had no trouble accessing the essay,
which I quite enjoyed. Maybe one of these days I'll grow up enough to try
the advice given.
--
mark

Ken M
December 30th 05, 11:28 AM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> I added my essay, "Get off the ****ing Road" to my website, and I am now
> concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
> certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?
>
> The main page is: http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/ (it still redirects to
> the welcome page, I'll fix that later)
> The specific page is: http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/road.html
>
> Thank you for your assistance. I have a cold, so I'm at home, and have the
> leisure to fiddle with all of this.

I can still view it, aol isp, Mozilla Firefox browser.

Ken
--
[T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles

Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

catzz66
December 30th 05, 06:03 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> I added my essay, "Get off the ******* Road" to my website, and I am now
> concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
> certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?

It is my personal thing, but I stop reading an article when see that
word. I am on Mozilla, so it is not otherwise blocked, though.

Claire Petersky
December 30th 05, 11:48 PM
"catzz66" > wrote in message
> Claire Petersky wrote:
>> I added my essay, "Get off the ******* Road" to my website, and I am now
>> concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
>> certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?
>>
> It is my personal thing, but I stop reading an article when see that word.
> I am on Mozilla, so it is not otherwise blocked, though.

I understand your feeling, which is the risk of having it in the title or
the body of the work. At the same time, I don't feel like "f*&%ing" or
something is any better, really, and the whole essay loses its meaning with
a different word in there.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

Claire Petersky
December 30th 05, 11:49 PM
"Tom Keats" > wrote in message

>> Thank you for your assistance. I have a cold, so I'm at home, and have
>> the
>> leisure to fiddle with all of this.
>
> I'll second Neil's "feel better" wishes.

Thanks. It's actually not been that horrible -- I've messed with the
website, read a couple of books, and my kids and husband are home on break
anyway, so it's just a matter of keeping the sinuses clear and having
sufficient naps.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

Tom Keats
December 31st 05, 12:08 AM
In article t>,
"Claire Petersky" > writes:
> "Tom Keats" > wrote in message
>
>>> Thank you for your assistance. I have a cold, so I'm at home, and have
>>> the
>>> leisure to fiddle with all of this.
>>
>> I'll second Neil's "feel better" wishes.
>

> Thanks. It's actually not been that horrible -- I've messed with the
> website, read a couple of books, and my kids and husband are home on break
> anyway, so it's just a matter of keeping the sinuses clear and having
> sufficient naps.

No doubt your family is properly doting on you, maybe bringing
you hot lemon & honey, 'n all that.

Anyway, on your Basic Bicycle Meditation page I noticed the
picture overlaps the text on the right. Just a little.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

December 31st 05, 12:52 AM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> I added my essay, "Get off the ****ing Road" to my website, and I am now
> concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
> certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?

Netscape 7.2 sees it just fine.

Nice article. But I bet there are lots of folks who'll stop at the
title. Too bad, because most of them would enjoy it.

I know you've already rejected this, but I'd consider replacing a
couple letters with asterisks. It does help some people.

- Frank Krygowski

Neil Brooks
December 31st 05, 01:01 AM
wrote:

>Claire Petersky wrote:
>> I added my essay, "Get off the ****ing Road" to my website, and I am now
>> concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
>> certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?
>
>Netscape 7.2 sees it just fine.
>
>Nice article. But I bet there are lots of folks who'll stop at the
>title. Too bad, because most of them would enjoy it.
>
>I know you've already rejected this, but I'd consider replacing a
>couple letters with asterisks. It does help some people.

You're probably right about this, Frank, but ... considering all the
things in this world that *don't* offend people, but should, I'm
always amazed at how many *are* offended by a word...

Seems kinda' ****ed up to me. I dunno'
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

Ron Wallenfang
December 31st 05, 01:31 AM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "catzz66" > wrote
>>>
>> It is my personal thing, but I stop reading an article when see that
>> word. I am on Mozilla, so it is not otherwise blocked, though.
>
> I understand your feeling, which is the risk of having it in the title or
> the body of the work. At the same time, I don't feel like "f*&%ing" or
> something is any better, really, and the whole essay loses its meaning
> with a different word in there.

Generally I agree with catzz66, but I see where you're coming from, Claire.
I was motivated to go to your meditation site and read and admire them, but
as a bit of a stranger, as I don't commune with nature well, or even try to.
(maybe I need to delve more into the life of St. Francis of Assisi, who
found it fully consistent with the Catholic orthodoxy). While bicycling is
literally part of my self-definition, and a great opportunity for
meditation, I don't see it as a mystical experience as such. So much the
worse for me.

Anyway, God willing, I will be making my 400th bike ride to Holy Hill on New
Year's day. That's a shrine/monastery/retreat house/ outdoor stations etc
atop the highest point in SE WI - albeit a scant 750 feet higher than Lake
Michigan, and a main source of spiritual fulfillment on bike rides. On my
long rides........well, I won't get into it.

Anyway, thanks for your insights. And I also welcomed your link to Chuck
Anderson's meditations on his travel in Austria.

catzz66
December 31st 05, 01:52 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> "catzz66" > wrote in message
>
>>Claire Petersky wrote:
>>
>>>I added my essay, "Get off the ******* Road" to my website, and I am now
>>>concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
>>>certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?
>>>

>>It is my personal thing, but I stop reading an article when see that word.
>>I am on Mozilla, so it is not otherwise blocked, though.
>

> I understand your feeling, which is the risk of having it in the title or
> the body of the work. At the same time, I don't feel like "f*&%ing" or
> something is any better, really, and the whole essay loses its meaning with
> a different word in there.

I understand. Like I said, it is just a personal thing with me. I feel
that profanity is mostly used these days like empty sounds such as "um,"
"er" or "uh." The intended effect (whatever it might have been) is lost.
Not referring to you, but what I usually think when I read it is that
if the person could have thought of something more intelligent to write,
he would have written it already.

Claire Petersky
December 31st 05, 03:23 PM
"catzz66" > wrote in message
> Claire Petersky wrote:

>> I understand your feeling, which is the risk of having it in the title or
>> the body of the work. At the same time, I don't feel like "f*&%ing" or
>> something is any better, really, and the whole essay loses its meaning
>> with a different word in there.
>>

> I understand. Like I said, it is just a personal thing with me. I feel
> that profanity is mostly used these days like empty sounds such as "um,"
> "er" or "uh." The intended effect (whatever it might have been) is lost.
> Not referring to you, but what I usually think when I read it is that if
> the person could have thought of something more intelligent to write, he
> would have written it already.

Didn't Mark Twain say that you should put "damn" in your writing everywhere
where you otherwise would say, "very"? And then your editors will strike out
all the damns, and the piece will read as it should have, anyway.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

December 31st 05, 06:22 PM
Claire Petersky wrote:

> Didn't Mark Twain say that you should put "damn" in your writing everywhere
> where you otherwise would say, "very"? And then your editors will strike out
> all the damns, and the piece will read as it should have, anyway.

Well, the editor of the Internet hasn't been doing his job!

- Frank Krygowski

Mike Kruger
December 31st 05, 06:50 PM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "catzz66" > wrote in message
>> Claire Petersky wrote:
>
>>> I understand your feeling, which is the risk of having it in the title
>>> or the body of the work. At the same time, I don't feel like "f*&%ing"
>>> or something is any better, really, and the whole essay loses its
>>> meaning with a different word in there.
>>>

>> I understand. Like I said, it is just a personal thing with me. I feel
>> that profanity is mostly used these days like empty sounds such as "um,"
>> "er" or "uh." The intended effect (whatever it might have been) is lost.
>> Not referring to you, but what I usually think when I read it is that if
>> the person could have thought of something more intelligent to write, he
>> would have written it already.
>
> Didn't Mark Twain say that you should put "damn" in your writing
> everywhere where you otherwise would say, "very"? And then your editors
> will strike out all the damns, and the piece will read as it should have,
> anyway.

Yes. Here's the quote:

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very;" your editor
will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be." ~Mark Twain

And this one may also be appropriate:

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the
difference between lightning and a lightning bug." ~Mark Twain

On the general topic: It's your website and you can do what you want, but
I'd asterisk the vowels myself.

Tom Keats
December 31st 05, 08:14 PM
In article >,
"Ron Wallenfang" > writes:

> I was motivated to go to your meditation site and read and admire them, but
> as a bit of a stranger, as I don't commune with nature well, or even try to.
> (maybe I need to delve more into the life of St. Francis of Assisi, who
> found it fully consistent with the Catholic orthodoxy).

Just for laffs I tried Googling on "Meher Baba bicycle". Sure enough,
he was a cyclist. Or at least he rode a bike. I don't think he made
a big deal of it though. Maybe he transcended "being a cyclist", or
simply took it as part of workaday life. Apparently his bicycle is on
display in some shrine/museum.

> While bicycling is
> literally part of my self-definition, and a great opportunity for
> meditation, I don't see it as a mystical experience as such. So much the
> worse for me.

Maybe it is mystical, but familiarity makes it seem mundane.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Roger Zoul
January 1st 06, 12:21 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Claire Petersky wrote:
>> I added my essay, "Get off the ****ing Road" to my website, and I am now
>> concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
>> certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?
>
> Netscape 7.2 sees it just fine.
>
> Nice article. But I bet there are lots of folks who'll stop at the
> title. Too bad, because most of them would enjoy it.
>
> I know you've already rejected this, but I'd consider replacing a
> couple letters with asterisks. It does help some people.

I wonder if the people it would help are the people who would appreciate the
point of the article?

Charles
January 2nd 06, 11:00 AM
"Claire Petersky" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I added my essay, "Get off the ****ing Road" to my website, and I am now
>concerned that the obscenity may block either the page or the site from
>certain browsers. If you have difficulty, can you let me know?
>
> The main page is: http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/ (it still redirects
> to the welcome page, I'll fix that later)
> The specific page is: http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/road.html
>
> Thank you for your assistance. I have a cold, so I'm at home, and have the
> leisure to fiddle with all of this.
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky
> http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
> Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
> See the books I've set free at:
> http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

I hate to tell all those motorists this, but if it wasn't for us bicyclists,
there would have never been the push for freedom and good roads that
accellerated later with the automobile. Go back and look at some of the
history of the 1890's.

Charles of Kankakee

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home