PDA

View Full Version : First for me, 14 miles on my KH29er

Carey
January 16th 06, 03:21 PM
Yesterday was my first long ride on my KH-29er. I had ridden 8 miles
before but never more than that. Today I went 14 miles on secluded,
low traffic, roads without people around. Very nice ride.

I had my 150 cranks on and, upon return, put on my 125s on and realized
that I would have enjoyed the trip more with a shorter circle to pedal
and less knee vertical movement. It took me about 2 hours and I took a
few stops for the sake of the saddle.

I ride a Big Apple which does very well on the pavement but I pumped it
up to about 40 psi and I noticed that it reacted more to the crown in
the road than it would with less pressure.

Also decided I need to buy some cycling shorts. I ordered some of
those Zyflex cycling shorts one of us pointed out the other day--I hope
I like them because most cycling shorts look pretty dorky. I do need
the padding however. I did reinforce me earlier learned opinion that
standing up every now and then while pedaling will keep certain parts
of the anatomy in contact with the rest of it.

It was a beautiful day and my wife came along on her Cruiser (she says
she's not learning to unicycle in her 50s). Anyway, I realized that
long distance is more a function of good equipment and reasonable
conditioning.

Hope you have a good day.

Carey

--
Carey
Carey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9910

rob.northcott
January 16th 06, 03:31 PM
Carey wrote:
> most cycling shorts look pretty dorky.

Have you forgotten you're riding a UNICYCLE? You already look silly ;)

--
rob.northcott

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice

innes
January 16th 06, 09:19 PM
Nice one Carey, do you use the KH29er just for road work?

Another alternative to cycle shorts is to use cycling underware with
the padding built in. I use them all the time, and they work really
well. You can use them with any shorts or trousers you want.

--
innes
innes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9123

cathwood
January 16th 06, 10:15 PM
innes wrote:
> Nice one Carey, do you use the KH29er just for road work?
>
> Another alternative to cycle shorts is to use cycling underware with
> the padding built in. I use them all the time, and they work really
> well. You can use them with any shorts or trousers you want.

I especially use the undershorts in the winter so I can wear trousers
over them.

Great going on your 29er. I'm a fellow 29er rider and at the moment
ride both on and off road. I hate the traffic so I envy you being able
to find 14 miles of low traffic roads to ride on.

Happy riding.

Cathy

--
cathwood

Disclaimer: Everything I post (unless otherwise stated) is my own
opinion, based on stuff that I've learned over the years.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

ntappin
January 16th 06, 11:22 PM
Sounds like quite a fun milestone.

Why did you switch from the kenda tire? I have the kenda and I really
like it but maybe I'm missing something. What differences do you notice
on the big apple?

--
ntappin

Ottawa Dave
January 17th 06, 02:05 AM
Handle bars, a brake and bike shorts wouldn't want to ride distance with
out them.

Cheers Dave

--
Ottawa Dave
Ottawa Dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7959

Erin
January 17th 06, 06:20 AM
Ottawa Dave wrote:
> Handle bars, a brake and bike shorts wouldn't want to ride distance with
> out them.
>
> Cheers Dave

What type of handlebars are you using on your 29'er Dave? Do you have
any pix you can post?

thanks

--
Erin
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Klaas Bil
January 17th 06, 07:10 AM
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:21:32 -0600, Carey wrote:

>I ride a Big Apple which does very well on the pavement but I pumped it
>up to about 40 psi and I noticed that it reacted more to the crown in
>the road than it would with less pressure.

Remarkable. Most people report that it's the other way round: less
pressure means more sensitivity to road crown.

Ottawa Dave
January 17th 06, 01:51 PM
Photo of 29er bars for Erin11622

|Filename: 29er 002.jpg |

Ottawa Dave
Ottawa Dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7959

Daniel.Foster
January 17th 06, 02:00 PM
why do u need handlebars when u have a velo seat with a handle?
what are they used for?

--
Daniel.Foster
Daniel.Foster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11467

Erin
January 17th 06, 05:11 PM
Thanks for posting that pic Dave! I've been thinking about an
inexpensive and simple handle for my 29'er for ages and haven't come up
with anything yet. Your idea has inspired me to dig around some bike
parts bins and see what I can come up with now.

Daniel, you question is a common one. The handle on the 29'er serves
the same purpose as those on Cokers. For long distance rides it allows
the rider to shift their weight... a welcome way to relieve pressure on
the butt!
The handle of the seat is too close to the body to do this effectively
for any length of time.

--
Erin
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036