PDA

View Full Version : Re: questions on TREK 6500

Rob Paton
July 9th 03, 03:55 AM
Minh Phan > wrote in message >...
> Hi:
> For years my riding is on road, and
> I want to do off-road riding occassionally.
> I don't want to spend much on a brand new
> bike which I use only now and then or in bad weather.
>
> 1) A colleage offers a TREK 6500 (year 2000) for CAD$600.
> The bike was used only 1 week, has Shimano STX
> and Rock Shox Judy C (?) fork. I only know the XTR/XT/LS
> line. How does the STX fit in? Is this a good buy?
>
> 2) What is the difference between WSD and normal design in
> mtb?
> Does it have the same difference as in road bikes? i.e.
> longer seat tube/shorter top tube.
> I could not find this model at TREK web site, and WSD has
> even sizes (14", 16", etc.) while normal sizes are odd (13.5",
> 15", 17", etc.). It happens that his bike is of even size!
>
> Could someone please help me with these answers?
> Thank you very much.
> Minh

>From what I know, the order is as follows: XTR, XT, LX, STX-RC, STX,
Alivio and Acera. The last two may be reversed. I know Shimano also
now has a part line they simply call Deore. I am unsure if this has
taken over for one of the low end parts or is an addition.

In either case, the STX is about the lowest level I would consider for
any sort of technical off-road riding. I had an STX derailleur on a
GT I owned maybe eight years ago and it was okay. It did ultimately
snap, but I've also snapped my fair share of XT an XTR derailleurs.

I unfortunately have no knowledge of the second question you pose.

Good luck.

- Rob

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home