PDA

View Full Version : what saddle

leon
August 10th 03, 01:05 PM
Folks
What do ye recommend for leisure mountain biking, i.e., not racing,
therefore comfort is more important than weight. Also I will be
covering a 800 mile trek across Spain next year and want to have it
broken in before this time.
Any sugestions please.

Thanks

Noel

(Ireland)

Greg Smith
August 10th 03, 07:20 PM
I ride on a Bontrager FS2000, defiantly not the best choice for your
intended use, but a pal of mine has a Specialized Body Geometry that he
swears by. He's never complained about saddle soars or any discomfort for
that matter, now that I think about it he doesn't even wear riding shorts
"no padding". Meanwhile I just forked out $120 Cdn for a pair of Oakley MTB
2.1 shorts (diapers) and my cheeks are tender after about 25 - 30 Km.

Check out the specialized

Greg

Skokatt
August 11th 03, 03:20 AM
"Greg Smith" > wrote in
:
> Check out the specialized
>
> Greg

People either love the Specialized BG saddles or hate them... I love
mine. I don't think they're worth $100 US, but you can check e-bay for
great deals from people who didn't like theirs. As with any saddle, you
need to position it correctly to get the benefits of the split design.
I've heard great things about WTB saddles from others but have never
actually ridden with one.

--
- Chris -
www.skokatt.com

People say I'm cruel. But I have the heart of a small child.
In a jar. On my desk.

Prometheus
August 11th 03, 09:30 PM
(leon) wrote in message >...
> Folks
> What do ye recommend for leisure mountain biking, i.e., not racing,
> therefore comfort is more important than weight. Also I will be
> covering a 800 mile trek across Spain next year and want to have it
> broken in before this time.
> Any sugestions please.

I like the Titec Ithys i have on my gary fisher. it looks
uncomfortable, but the padding is there, and its reasonably firm so
there's no gel-like issues. i don't need biking shorts with it most of
the time, but you might want them for the 800 mile trip.

Drew Saunders
August 12th 03, 12:10 PM
In article >,
(leon) wrote:

> Folks
> What do ye recommend for leisure mountain biking, i.e., not racing,
> therefore comfort is more important than weight. Also I will be
> covering a 800 mile trek across Spain next year and want to have it
> broken in before this time.
> Any sugestions please.

Well, you did say weight wasn't an issue, so I'll recommend the Brooks
Flyer (also sometimes called the Champion Flyer) which is a single-rail
sprung leather saddle with the same top as the B17 touring saddle
<http://www.brookssaddles.com/index.php?type=mens_trektour>. I have one
on my Ibis and another on my commuting bike, and find it to be very
comfortable. The springs are quite stong, but still absorb some shock.
Overall, probably lighter than a B17 wih a suspension post, and will
last forever. Here's some pics of the bike:
<http://www.stanford.edu/~dru/mojo.html>

--
Drew W. Saunders

dru (at) stanford (dot) eee dee you