PDA

View Full Version : Performance Bike still SUX

SaintDan
December 5th 03, 10:11 PM
Hi,
Just a follow up to the back order problems I have had with an order from
Performance Bicycle as copied below. I finally was able to convince
Performance that my shipment of the bike repair stand was missing in the
mail. I sent back the confirmation sheet they sent me and was expecting them
to send the product to me that day. NO.... talk with Chris in Customer
service and he said that it is back again on BACK ORDER. I asked him what
kind of company would let there suppliers screw up their business like that.
He was quite silent for a while and I figured he was "Clueless" like many
other companies that don't put their supplier's or vendor's feet to the
fire. Well, I asked for my money back and said I will never deal with
Performance Bike company again - MORE silence on the phone line..........

Pretty disappointing how lousy customer service is in this country of ours.
Then it seems when a company does run into financial problems, they blame
the Japanese, the economy, there competition and even the weather -
Hello... look in the mirror :-)

Well, maybe someone else has had a better experience with Performance Bike -
luck you.

Dan

My original posting........

Hello,
I don't want to bitch too much but has anyone else had problems with
Performance Bicycle catalog orders. I ordered from them in mid October and
one item was "out of stock" at the time. Said that it would be back in stock
and then ship in November. Three weeks later it was restocked and sent to me
BUT then 2 1/2 weeks later I still don't have it. Well, my REAL problems
started when I tried to talk with someone at Performance. I have been put
off, had excuses and explanations told to me, was promised a call back from
someone in management who never called. back and just generally treated like
a BOOB for complaining. Are they having business problems? Order problems,
vendor problems or ......Possibly heading toward putting up the "Out of
Business" sign?

Funny thing is, I just got some catalogs the other day from Bike Nashbar and
Super Go Bike shop - are they any better to deal with?

Dan

December 5th 03, 10:38 PM
SaintDan <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> wrote:

> I asked him what
> kind of company would let there suppliers screw up their business like that.

Sounds like you are too stupid to be a customer, they're lucky to be rid
of you.
Clyde Soles >

Tim McNamara
December 6th 03, 12:00 AM
"SaintDan" <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> writes:

> Just a follow up to the back order problems I have had with an order
> from Performance Bicycle as copied below. <snip> .... talk with
> Chris in Customer service and he said that it is back again on BACK
> ORDER. I asked him what kind of company would let there suppliers
> screw up their business like that.

Oh, General Motors, Dell, Compaq, IBM, Ford... any company that sells
products can have problems getting supplies. Lots of them in the
Fortune 500. Stuff gets back ordered, especially when there is
competition for those supplies, for a whole lot of reasons.

> He was quite silent for a while and I figured he was "Clueless" like
> many other companies that don't put their supplier's or vendor's
> feet to the fire. Well, I asked for my money back and said I will
> never deal with Performance Bike company again - MORE silence on the
> phone line..........

He was probably thinking "Promise?" but was being polite.

> Pretty disappointing how lousy customer service is in this country
> of ours.

And yet most of the rest of us don't seem to have this trouble with
Nashbar. Maybe they just decided to jack *you* around, hey?

> Hello... look in the mirror :-)

Good advice.

Kerry Nikolaisen
December 6th 03, 05:20 AM
"Tim McNamara" > wrote in message
> "SaintDan" <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> writes:
>
> > Just a follow up to the back order problems I have had with an order
> > from Performance Bicycle as copied below. <snip> .... talk with
> > Chris in Customer service and he said that it is back again on BACK
> > ORDER. I asked him what kind of company would let there suppliers
> > screw up their business like that.
>
> Oh, General Motors, Dell, Compaq, IBM, Ford... any company that sells
> products can have problems getting supplies. Lots of them in the
> Fortune 500. Stuff gets back ordered, especially when there is
> competition for those supplies, for a whole lot of reasons.
>
> > He was quite silent for a while and I figured he was "Clueless" like
> > many other companies that don't put their supplier's or vendor's
> > feet to the fire. Well, I asked for my money back and said I will
> > never deal with Performance Bike company again - MORE silence on the
> > phone line..........
>
> He was probably thinking "Promise?" but was being polite.
>
> > Pretty disappointing how lousy customer service is in this country
> > of ours.
>
> And yet most of the rest of us don't seem to have this trouble with
> Nashbar. Maybe they just decided to jack *you* around, hey?
>
> > Hello... look in the mirror :-)
>
> Good advice.

I fail to understand your cynicism. There is an old saying in the retail
and service industry - "the customer is always right." All it takes is one
bad experience, and you are tainted possibly for life.

Why bash the customer who has had a bad experience? He is only relaying his
frustrations to you. That's why great customer service is at the heart of
every successful company - they make it hard to hate them.

Sure, there are always the unreasonable customers, but if you have tried
everything to make them happy, WHILE BEING UPFRONT AND HONEST, it is that
much more difficult to make an enemy.

Personally, I think Saint Dan had every right to be frustrated and ****ed.

Kerry

D.Putnam
December 6th 03, 05:31 AM
Never had a problem with them or any other online Bike place, maybe it's
just you.
Of course this begs the question, why should we care?

Jamie TrailBlazer At Large
December 6th 03, 06:02 AM
I have heard of a couple people complaining about mail order,I have not had
any troubloe yet,I worked out a good deal with a guy who runs a shop ,15%
over Qualitys price thats who a lot of shops go through ,I still get a
compareitable price and he make's money ,I use the online shops only when he
cant come close,I will give it to him to keep him in the area,
JMO

--
J/O TrailBlazer at Large

Mike Beauchamp
December 6th 03, 07:32 AM
Stuff gets back ordered man... that happens in any shop, real or virtual.

I just want to add that I've dealt with many online businesses (digikey.com,
partsexpress.com, nashbar.com, getawaybikes.com, etc.. etc.) and I've always
been happy with the results!!

However, I wish I could say the same thing for actual local stores, but I
can't. I'd much rather buy stuff online where I don't have to deal with
sales people, other customers or any other obnoxiousness involved in the
retail world.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

"SaintDan" <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Just a follow up to the back order problems I have had with an order from
> Performance Bicycle as copied below. I finally was able to convince
> Performance that my shipment of the bike repair stand was missing in the
> mail. I sent back the confirmation sheet they sent me and was expecting
them
> to send the product to me that day. NO.... talk with Chris in Customer
> service and he said that it is back again on BACK ORDER. I asked him
what
> kind of company would let there suppliers screw up their business like
that.
> He was quite silent for a while and I figured he was "Clueless" like many
> other companies that don't put their supplier's or vendor's feet to the
> fire. Well, I asked for my money back and said I will never deal with
> Performance Bike company again - MORE silence on the phone line..........
>
> Pretty disappointing how lousy customer service is in this country of
ours.
> Then it seems when a company does run into financial problems, they blame
> the Japanese, the economy, there competition and even the weather -
> Hello... look in the mirror :-)
>
> Well, maybe someone else has had a better experience with Performance
Bike -
> luck you.
>
> Dan
>
> My original posting........
>
> Hello,
> I don't want to bitch too much but has anyone else had problems with
> Performance Bicycle catalog orders. I ordered from them in mid October
and
> one item was "out of stock" at the time. Said that it would be back in
stock
> and then ship in November. Three weeks later it was restocked and sent to
me
> BUT then 2 1/2 weeks later I still don't have it. Well, my REAL problems
> started when I tried to talk with someone at Performance. I have been put
> off, had excuses and explanations told to me, was promised a call back
from
> someone in management who never called. back and just generally treated
like
> a BOOB for complaining. Are they having business problems? Order problems,
> vendor problems or ......Possibly heading toward putting up the "Out of
> Business" sign?
>
> Funny thing is, I just got some catalogs the other day from Bike Nashbar
and
> Super Go Bike shop - are they any better to deal with?
>
> Dan

Dennis P. Harris
December 6th 03, 11:02 AM
On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:11:12 -0500 in rec.bicycles.misc,
"SaintDan" <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> wrote:

> NO.... talk with Chris in Customer
> service and he said that it is back again on BACK ORDER. I asked him what
> kind of company would let there suppliers screw up their business like that.
> He was quite silent for a while and I figured he was "Clueless" like many
> other companies that don't put their supplier's or vendor's feet to the
> fire. Well, I asked for my money back and said I will never deal with
> Performance Bike company again - MORE silence on the phone line..........

they probably just wanted a whiner like you to just go away.

Tim McNamara
December 6th 03, 01:48 PM
"Kerry Nikolaisen" <f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t> writes:

> Why bash the customer who has had a bad experience? He is only
> relaying his frustrations to you.

Nah, he's whining. His stuff was backordered, which just happens
sometimes and he took it personally.

Kerry Nikolaisen
December 6th 03, 02:09 PM
"Tim McNamara" > wrote in message
> "Kerry Nikolaisen" <f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t> writes:
>
> > Why bash the customer who has had a bad experience? He is only
> > relaying his frustrations to you.
>
> Nah, he's whining. His stuff was backordered, which just happens
> sometimes and he took it personally.

No - reread the post. He's upset because they weren't upfront with him and
jerked him around.

Tom Kunich
December 6th 03, 04:28 PM
If you think that bicycle business is so profitable and competitive
that they need your business man are you off track.

Why don't you try opening a competitor to Performance and see just how
successful and "customer friendly" you are.

Performance has a long way to go towards being perfect but they are a
pretty good business.

> [...]
sent to me
> BUT then 2 1/2 weeks later I still don't have it. Well, my REAL
problems
> started when I tried to talk with someone at Performance. I have
been put
> off, had excuses and explanations told to me, was promised a call
back from
> someone in management who never called. back and just generally
treated like
> a BOOB for complaining. Are they having business problems? Order
problems,
> vendor problems or ......Possibly heading toward putting up the "Out
of
> Business" sign?
>
> Funny thing is, I just got some catalogs the other day from Bike
Nashbar and
> Super Go Bike shop - are they any better to deal with?

Tim McNamara
December 6th 03, 05:16 PM
"Kerry Nikolaisen" <f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t> writes:

> "Tim McNamara" > wrote in message
>> "Kerry Nikolaisen" <f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t> writes:
>>
>> > Why bash the customer who has had a bad experience? He is only
>> > relaying his frustrations to you.
>>
>> Nah, he's whining. His stuff was backordered, which just happens
>> sometimes and he took it personally.
>
> No - reread the post. He's upset because they weren't upfront with
> him and jerked him around.

Bull****. His stuff was backordered, he got ****ed off, he
threatened them with "never doing business with them again" and all
the other hallmarks of a temper tantrum, and then expected them to
treat him like an adult. LOL.

Guys like that should do business exclusively with retail so that
they can walk out of the store with their purchases.

Ground Zero
December 6th 03, 10:41 PM
"Tim McNamara" > wrote in message
<snip>>
> Bull****. His stuff was backordered, he got ****ed off, he
> threatened them with "never doing business with them again" and all
> the other hallmarks of a temper tantrum, and then expected them to
> treat him like an adult. LOL.
>
> Guys like that should do business exclusively with retail so that
> they can walk out of the store with their purchases.

Seems like a lot of people are having temper tantrums over nothing. This
thread has gone on too long... let it go and get back to the business of
RBM.

Stuart Winsor
Ground Zero Cycles

Michael Pearlman
December 7th 03, 12:48 AM
"SaintDan" <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> wrote in message >...
> Hi,
> Just a follow up to the back order problems I have had with an order from
> Performance Bicycle as copied below. I finally was able to convince
> Performance that my shipment of the bike repair stand was missing in the
> mail. I sent back the confirmation sheet they sent me and was expecting them
> to send the product to me that day. NO.... talk with Chris in Customer
> service and he said that it is back again on BACK ORDER. I asked him what
> kind of company would let there suppliers screw up their business like that.
> He was quite silent for a while and I figured he was "Clueless" like many
> other companies that don't put their supplier's or vendor's feet to the
> fire. Well, I asked for my money back and said I will never deal with
> Performance Bike company again - MORE silence on the phone line..........
>
> Pretty disappointing how lousy customer service is in this country of ours.
> Then it seems when a company does run into financial problems, they blame
> the Japanese, the economy, there competition and even the weather -
> Hello... look in the mirror :-)
>
> Well, maybe someone else has had a better experience with Performance Bike -
> luck you.
>
> Dan
>
> My original posting........
>
> Hello,
> I don't want to bitch too much but has anyone else had problems with
> Performance Bicycle catalog orders. I ordered from them in mid October and
> one item was "out of stock" at the time. Said that it would be back in stock
> and then ship in November. Three weeks later it was restocked and sent to me
> BUT then 2 1/2 weeks later I still don't have it. Well, my REAL problems
> started when I tried to talk with someone at Performance. I have been put
> off, had excuses and explanations told to me, was promised a call back from
> someone in management who never called. back and just generally treated like
> a BOOB for complaining. Are they having business problems? Order problems,
> vendor problems or ......Possibly heading toward putting up the "Out of
> Business" sign?
>
> Funny thing is, I just got some catalogs the other day from Bike Nashbar and
> Super Go Bike shop - are they any better to deal with?
>
> Dan
Dear Dan, I know how you feel. Performance is a most unresponsive
bunch. They do not deserve your business. Take it elsewhere.

Bartow W. Riggs
December 7th 03, 02:06 AM
I think it is important to have a personal relationship, especially with
your favorite mechanic. For me, it is "bob" (fake name) he knows me and
when I go in for a quick wheel-true or similar and ask how much I owe, he
usually says something like "just buy something." In contrast, I was
charged $36 for 4 minutes labor when he was not there.

The first is good business sense, the second is greed.

In general I have no complaints about Performance Bike.

Bartow
"Kerry Nikolaisen" <f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t> wrote in
message ...
> "Tim McNamara" > wrote in message
> > "SaintDan" <dcxdanATwowwayDOTcom> writes:
> >
> > > Just a follow up to the back order problems I have had with an order
> > > from Performance Bicycle as copied below. <snip> .... talk with
> > > Chris in Customer service and he said that it is back again on BACK
> > > ORDER. I asked him what kind of company would let there suppliers
> > > screw up their business like that.
> >
> > Oh, General Motors, Dell, Compaq, IBM, Ford... any company that sells
> > products can have problems getting supplies. Lots of them in the
> > Fortune 500. Stuff gets back ordered, especially when there is
> > competition for those supplies, for a whole lot of reasons.
> >
> > > He was quite silent for a while and I figured he was "Clueless" like
> > > many other companies that don't put their supplier's or vendor's
> > > feet to the fire. Well, I asked for my money back and said I will
> > > never deal with Performance Bike company again - MORE silence on the
> > > phone line..........
> >
> > He was probably thinking "Promise?" but was being polite.
> >
> > > Pretty disappointing how lousy customer service is in this country
> > > of ours.
> >
> > And yet most of the rest of us don't seem to have this trouble with
> > Nashbar. Maybe they just decided to jack *you* around, hey?
> >
> > > Hello... look in the mirror :-)
> >
> > Good advice.
>
> I fail to understand your cynicism. There is an old saying in the retail
> and service industry - "the customer is always right." All it takes is
one
> bad experience, and you are tainted possibly for life.
>
> Why bash the customer who has had a bad experience? He is only relaying
his
> frustrations to you. That's why great customer service is at the heart of
> every successful company - they make it hard to hate them.
>
> Sure, there are always the unreasonable customers, but if you have tried
> everything to make them happy, WHILE BEING UPFRONT AND HONEST, it is that
> much more difficult to make an enemy.
>
> Personally, I think Saint Dan had every right to be frustrated and ****ed.
>
> Kerry

Peter
December 7th 03, 03:04 AM
Bartow W. Riggs wrote:

> I think it is important to have a personal relationship, especially with
> your favorite mechanic.

I hope I never own anything so unreliable that I end up developing a
personal relationship with my mechanic. I was getting dangerously close
once with a car but my current one is doing much better. Fortunately my
bikes have never approached that level.

Tom Keats
December 7th 03, 04:17 AM
In article <cNwAb.447073$Tr4.1249112@attbi_s03>,
Peter > writes:
> Bartow W. Riggs wrote:
>
>> I think it is important to have a personal relationship, especially with
>> your favorite mechanic.
>
> I hope I never own anything so unreliable that I end up developing a
> personal relationship with my mechanic. I was getting dangerously close
> once with a car but my current one is doing much better. Fortunately my
> bikes have never approached that level.

Twice-yearly checkups are good for bikes, at least in the
Northern Temperate Zone. Keep the bearings well-greased, 'n
all that.

I like to do it myself; others like to have it done and let
the other guy/gal get the dirty fingernails. No sweat
either way. All bikes need periodic tinkering.

Personal relationships with bike mechanics are especially good
when you collect & refurbish older bikes which might have
extremely stuck seatposts, or "funny", obsolete drive trains
that need oddball tools to dismantle.

There's nothing wrong with retaining a wrench who knows what
[s]he's doing with occasional gifts of Solly's[tm] cinnamon
rolls, or herrings for their cats. On a good day, one might
even pick up some esoteric tips as to bike care & maintenance.

cheers,
Tom