PDA

View Full Version : Get a new dual suspension frame or go back to hardtail?

rocketman58
November 17th 03, 01:31 AM
Last year I sold my old hardtail frame and went full suspesion. I
found a new 16" Giant DS-1 frame at the LBS for a couple of hundred $.
Very plush, very sturdy. It's great off road, but a slug on the street
- it weighs a lot more than my old HT did, and bobs when I pedal.
Since I ride about 50% on road, it's staring to bug me.

I'm still on a budget. I want to replace the frame. I have a older XT
stuff and a Manatou Black Comp 100/120 fork.

Can I go back to a hardtail, or does the fork have too much travel?

If I stick with a dual suspension frame, what frame is cheap, doesn't
bob a lot, and has a low stand-over height?

Mopar Freak
November 17th 03, 02:29 AM
"rocketman58" > wrote in message
om...
> Last year I sold my old hardtail frame and went full suspesion. I
> found a new 16" Giant DS-1 frame at the LBS for a couple of hundred $.
> Very plush, very sturdy. It's great off road, but a slug on the street
> - it weighs a lot more than my old HT did, and bobs when I pedal.
> Since I ride about 50% on road, it's staring to bug me.

hmmm... Did you tell your LBS that you do 50% of your riding on pavement?
A URT single pivot full suspension bike is the worst possible choice for
road riding (I'd sooner ride a BMX - and they only have one -low- speed with
20" wheels)
If you split your time evenly between road and off road, your best bet is to
keep your fs bike for the trails, and get a piece of crap beater - maybe a
used "ugly" bike with base components, NO FRONT SUSPENSION, and narrow 27"
or 700C wheels for the road (my off road bike is a Rocky Mountain Flow and
my commuter is a '82 Sears special with 27" wheels, no derailleurs, and no
suspension.

> I'm still on a budget. I want to replace the frame. I have older XT
> stuff and a Manatou Black Comp 100/120 fork.
>
> Can I go back to a hardtail, or does the fork have too much travel?

There is no such thing as too much front suspension. My Flow has a 130mm
Z-1 FR QR-20 and if all goes according to plan, I'm going to get a Balfa
Minuteman for next season sporting a 170mm Jr.-T double crown - triple clamp
fork. Granted, you might not like 7" in front, just because you don't need
to ride with a chopper-like 67deg head tube angle (not going down vertical
chutes, not doing crazy north-shore style trails, not dropping 7 ft on a
hard tail on a daily basis)

> If I stick with a dual suspension frame, what frame is cheap, doesn't
> bob a lot, and has a low stand-over height?

Your options are very limited, I'd try to find something by Jamis (if at all
possible, get one from last year, when Jamis still used a Horst link) or
maybe a very entry-level Specialized (rockhopper FSR with coil-over spring)
but even those frames will probably set you back about $500.00 CDN (fill in
your currency here)

> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving
> posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/
> Please read the charter before posting: http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

Hope this helps

Per Elmsäter
November 17th 03, 12:55 PM
rocketman58 wrote:
> Last year I sold my old hardtail frame and went full suspesion. I
> found a new 16" Giant DS-1 frame at the LBS for a couple of hundred $.
> Very plush, very sturdy. It's great off road, but a slug on the street
> - it weighs a lot more than my old HT did, and bobs when I pedal.
> Since I ride about 50% on road, it's staring to bug me.
>
> I'm still on a budget. I want to replace the frame. I have a older XT
> stuff and a Manatou Black Comp 100/120 fork.
>
> Can I go back to a hardtail, or does the fork have too much travel?
>
> If I stick with a dual suspension frame, what frame is cheap, doesn't
> bob a lot, and has a low stand-over height?

Another option of course is to either exhange your current suspension for a
front and rear shock that will lock out or get a new FS frame that already
has this.
My Fox Float RC and Marathon S both can be locked out. For some reason
though I seldom need to use it.

--
Perre

November 25th 03, 12:25 PM
"Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message >...
> rocketman58 wrote:
> > Last year I sold my old hardtail frame and went full suspesion. I
> > found a new 16" Giant DS-1 frame at the LBS for a couple of hundred $.
> > Very plush, very sturdy. It's great off road, but a slug on the street
> > - it weighs a lot more than my old HT did, and bobs when I pedal.
> > Since I ride about 50% on road, it's staring to bug me.
> >
> > I'm still on a budget. I want to replace the frame. I have a older XT
> > stuff and a Manatou Black Comp 100/120 fork.
> >
> > Can I go back to a hardtail, or does the fork have too much travel?
> >
> > If I stick with a dual suspension frame, what frame is cheap, doesn't
> > bob a lot, and has a low stand-over height?
>
> Another option of course is to either exhange your current suspension for a
> front and rear shock that will lock out or get a new FS frame that already
> has this.
> My Fox Float RC and Marathon S both can be locked out. For some reason
> though I seldom need to use it.
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

You should just buy a better bike. Sell everything and buy a bike w/ a
stable platform. You'll notice the difference and will appreciate it.

Per Elmsäter
November 25th 03, 11:25 PM
> C wrote:
>> Per Elmsäter wrote
>>> rocketman58 wrote:
>>> Last year I sold my old hardtail frame and went full suspesion. I
>>> found a new 16" Giant DS-1 frame at the LBS for a couple of hundred
>>> $. Very plush, very sturdy. It's great off road, but a slug on the
>>> street - it weighs a lot more than my old HT did, and bobs when I
>>> pedal. Since I ride about 50% on road, it's staring to bug me.
>>>
>>> I'm still on a budget. I want to replace the frame. I have a older
>>> XT stuff and a Manatou Black Comp 100/120 fork.
>>>
>>> Can I go back to a hardtail, or does the fork have too much travel?
>>>
>>> If I stick with a dual suspension frame, what frame is cheap,
>>> doesn't bob a lot, and has a low stand-over height?
>>
>> Another option of course is to either exhange your current
>> suspension for a front and rear shock that will lock out or get a
>> new FS frame that already has this.
>> My Fox Float RC and Marathon S both can be locked out. For some
>> reason though I seldom need to use it.
>> --
>> Perre
>>
>> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
>
> You should just buy a better bike. Sell everything and buy a bike w/ a
> stable platform. You'll notice the difference and will appreciate it.

What's wrong with my bike?
--
Perre

rocketman58
December 3rd 03, 07:57 PM
Well, after some test rides (and a very good deal), I bought a steel
hardtail frame. I should be getting the frame by the end of the week.
Anyone want to buy an almost new Giant Warp DS-1 for cheap?

"Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message >...
> > C wrote:
> >> Per Elmsäter wrote

> >> Another option of course is to either exhange your current
> >> suspension for a front and rear shock that will lock out or get a
> >> new FS frame that already has this.
> >> My Fox Float RC and Marathon S both can be locked out. For some
> >> reason though I seldom need to use it.
> >> --
> >> Perre
> >>
> >> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
> >
> > You should just buy a better bike. Sell everything and buy a bike w/ a
> > stable platform. You'll notice the difference and will appreciate it.
>
> What's wrong with my bike?
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home