PDA

View Full Version : Night Riding -- Reflectors on Trees

HKEK
November 24th 03, 04:35 PM
I went night riding for the first time last night. I rode wooded
trails with which I was familiar. I was surprised to see that many
trees along the trail had tiny, bright reflectors (~1/4 inch in
diameter) attached to them! I had never noticed these in daylight.

On close inspection I found at least 2 types. One type seemed to
resemble a thumb tack, with the head of the tack being reflective. The
other type was more like a push pin with a bead for the head. The
design makes it visible from many directions.

I have been told that hunters use these for orientation. I would like
to add some of these to some of the more difficult un-blazed trails on
which I frequently get lost!

Are these reflectors commercially available (where?) or are they
"home-made"?

Richard Adams
November 24th 03, 07:16 PM
HKEK wrote:

> I went night riding for the first time last night. I rode wooded
> trails with which I was familiar. I was surprised to see that many
> trees along the trail had tiny, bright reflectors (~1/4 inch in
> diameter) attached to them! I had never noticed these in daylight.
>
> On close inspection I found at least 2 types. One type seemed to
> resemble a thumb tack, with the head of the tack being reflective. The
> other type was more like a push pin with a bead for the head. The
> design makes it visible from many directions.
>
> I have been told that hunters use these for orientation. I would like
> to add some of these to some of the more difficult un-blazed trails on
> which I frequently get lost!
>
> Are these reflectors commercially available (where?) or are they
> "home-made"?
>
> --
> rec.bicycles.off-road is moderated by volunteers. To find help solving
> posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see http://rbor.org/
> Please read the charter before posting: http://rbor.org/rbor_charter.txt

I've seen reflective tape for sale, but forget where. Try hardware/lawn
and garden shops. Get a paper punch and punch out circles and stick to
thumbtacks. Seems simple enough.

There's some night riding around my area, too, I should take a look at
the trees along the trails and see if I can spot any reflectors like you
described.

Michael Dart
November 24th 03, 09:37 PM
"HKEK" > wrote in message
m...
> I went night riding for the first time last night. I rode wooded
> trails with which I was familiar. I was surprised to see that many
> trees along the trail had tiny, bright reflectors (~1/4 inch in
> diameter) attached to them! I had never noticed these in daylight.
>
> On close inspection I found at least 2 types. One type seemed to
> resemble a thumb tack, with the head of the tack being reflective. The
> other type was more like a push pin with a bead for the head. The
> design makes it visible from many directions.
>
> I have been told that hunters use these for orientation. I would like
> to add some of these to some of the more difficult un-blazed trails on
> which I frequently get lost!
>
> Are these reflectors commercially available (where?) or are they
> "home-made"?

Google says:

http://www.gamecalls.net/huntingproducts/accessories2.html

a bit down the page $3 for 100 of 'em.

Mike - don't forgit and pick upya one of dem Squirrel Skinners and sum Doe
Urine while you're der!

Richard Adams
November 24th 03, 11:40 PM
Michael Dart wrote:

> "HKEK" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>I went night riding for the first time last night. I rode wooded
>>trails with which I was familiar. I was surprised to see that many
>>trees along the trail had tiny, bright reflectors (~1/4 inch in
>>diameter) attached to them! I had never noticed these in daylight.
>>
>>On close inspection I found at least 2 types. One type seemed to
>>resemble a thumb tack, with the head of the tack being reflective. The
>>other type was more like a push pin with a bead for the head. The
>>design makes it visible from many directions.
>>
>>I have been told that hunters use these for orientation. I would like
>>to add some of these to some of the more difficult un-blazed trails on
>>which I frequently get lost!
>>
>>Are these reflectors commercially available (where?) or are they
>>"home-made"?
>>

> Google says:
>
> http://www.gamecalls.net/huntingproducts/accessories2.html
>
> a bit down the page $3 for 100 of 'em.
>
> Mike - don't forgit and pick upya one of dem Squirrel Skinners and sum Doe
> Urine while you're der!

Now there's an arresting thought... riding a bike down a path hunters
use. I forget about such things, riding where hunting is vorboten.
This has to be the worst weekend to go cross country in the midwest.

"Hey, Vern, I got something! It was moving though the brush real fast
and I just had time to shoot!"

"Uh, George, ya wasted your tag, that there's only a two point buck."

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home