PDA

View Full Version : Bill in Kansas legislature threatens trails on public land

Brent Hugh
February 6th 04, 09:34 PM
If you live (or ride/walk trails) in Kansas, please contact your state
representative immediately and let them know that you support trails
on public lands in Kansas and oppose HB2583.

The Kansas legislature has an online list of all House members with
contact information. You can send an email or make a call in less than
two minutes:

http://www.kslegislature.org/houseroster/

Members of the Environment Committee (which will be holding a hearing
on the bill Tuesday) are:

Environment: Freeborn, Chairperson; Tafanelli, Vice-Chairperson;
Compton, Faber, Hayzlett, D. Johnson, Light, Powell, Powers, Schwartz,
Sloan. Flora, Ranking Minority Member; Faust-Goudeau, Flaharty, J.
Miller, Svaty, Thimesch.

DETAILS:
According to Ken Miner, Kansas State Representative of the
International Mountain Bicycling Association, a bill has been
introduced in the Kansas House of Representatives that threatens
individuals and volunteer organizations that work on trails on public
lands in Kansas.

Under the terms of the bill, any adjoining landowner would be able to
sue individuals or organizations that put volunteer time into trails
on public lands. Many (most?) trails on public lands are at least
partly built or maintained by volunteers.

The resulting liability would essentially put a stop to such trail
building in Kansas.

The bill is scheduled for a hearing on Tues, Feb 10th, 2004.

More details here:

http://www.mobikefed.org/2004_02_01_advocacyalertsarchive.html#107609435070 733465

--Brent

bhugh [at] mwsc.edu
www.MoBikeFed.org

Rocketman
February 7th 04, 09:42 PM
"Brent Hugh" > wrote in message
om...
> If you live (or ride/walk trails) in Kansas, please contact your state
> representative immediately and let them know that you support trails
> on public lands in Kansas and oppose HB2583.
>
> The Kansas legislature has an online list of all House members with
> contact information. You can send an email or make a call in less than
> two minutes:
>
> http://www.kslegislature.org/houseroster/
>
> Members of the Environment Committee (which will be holding a hearing
> on the bill Tuesday) are:
>
> Environment: Freeborn, Chairperson; Tafanelli, Vice-Chairperson;
> Compton, Faber, Hayzlett, D. Johnson, Light, Powell, Powers, Schwartz,
> Sloan. Flora, Ranking Minority Member; Faust-Goudeau, Flaharty, J.
> Miller, Svaty, Thimesch.
>
> DETAILS:
> According to Ken Miner, Kansas State Representative of the
> International Mountain Bicycling Association, a bill has been
> introduced in the Kansas House of Representatives that threatens
> individuals and volunteer organizations that work on trails on public
> lands in Kansas.
>
> Under the terms of the bill, any adjoining landowner would be able to
> sue individuals or organizations that put volunteer time into trails
> on public lands. Many (most?) trails on public lands are at least
> partly built or maintained by volunteers.
>
> The resulting liability would essentially put a stop to such trail
> building in Kansas.

What kind of freaks are these people? I'm so glad I left Kansas long ago.
What a messed-up state. They have almost nothing to bring people to the
state, so they now want to destroy the kind of public projects that have
been proven attractive to high-income residents.

Nice job, Kansas. Keep shooting yourself in the foot, and building more
walled communities.

Rocketman

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home