PDA

View Full Version : Re: Woman attacked on trail

Sorni
July 1st 03, 08:33 PM
"Vern" > wrote in message

> Woman attacked on trail
> TURNAGAIN: Jogger escapes after cyclist tries to grab her from behind
> near Lyn Ary Park.
>

> By PETER PORCO
> Anchorage Daily News
> (Published: July 1, 2003)
>
> A man on a mountain bike attacked a woman Monday morning on the Tony
> Knowles Coastal Trail, according to the Anchorage Police Department.
>
> The woman was uninjured, said police spokeswoman Anita Shell. The man
> came up from behind and grabbed her but the woman screamed and broke
> free of his grip and he fled, Shell said.
>
> Police tried to find the attacker but could not.
>
> This was the fourth such attack in five weeks. A suspect was arrested
> late last week in connection with one attack, which occurred May 30 on
> the Chester Creek trail east of Westchester Lagoon.
>
> Walter B. Kenworthy, 33, was charged with sexual assault and is in
> custody at the Cook Inlet Pre-Trial Facility. His bail has been set at
> $50,000.
>
> Police on Saturday said they are also investigating Kenworthy in
> connection with a May 23 attack on a 17-year-old girl on a bike trail
> near the Whaley School and a June 6 attempted sexual assault of a
> 52-year-old woman in Town Square Park.
>
> Two of the three victims have identified Kenworthy as the man who
> attacked them, police said, and officers are trying to find the third.
> Kenworthy was in jail when the latest attack occurred, they said.
>
> The incident Monday happened about 8:35 a.m., Shell said.
>
> The woman was jogging alone on the Coastal Trail near Lyn Ary Park in
> Turnagain, headed toward downtown, Shell said.
>
> "She saw a man on a park bench (along the trail) and felt uneasy about
> him," Shell said. The woman continued jogging. "Later this guy comes up
> (riding) behind her and grabs her."
>
> The woman screamed, however, and pulled free, and the man took off on
> his bike, Shell said.
>
> Police described the man was as being between 27 and 35 years old, 5
> foot 7 inches tall and heavyset. He has curly, dark, shoulder-length
> hair and was wearing a blue-and-white long-sleeved button-up shirt,
> blue shorts and blue tennis shoes, Shell said.
>
> In each of the other three attacks, the victim was on a trail or in the
> park alone. Police have warned trail users not to be out alone unless
> it is necessary.
>
> "An attack has occurred every week for the last four weeks," Shell
> said. "And we have one person in custody, and it looks like we have
> another attacker out there. All is not safe in the city."

That settles it. Hikers really SHOULD stay off of biking trails.

Bill "going shopping for a new Van Husen riding shirt" S.

Ken [NY)
July 2nd 03, 03:55 PM
On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:33:10 GMT, "Sorni" >
ranted:

>> "An attack has occurred every week for the last four weeks," Shell
>> said. "And we have one person in custody, and it looks like we have
>> another attacker out there. All is not safe in the city."
>
>That settles it. Hikers really SHOULD stay off of biking trails.

There we go again. That's like telling a man not to carry his
wallet because he might get mugged.

Ken (NY)
Chairman,
Department Of Redundancy Department
____________________________________
email:
http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

"[Saddam Hussein]cannot be permitted to go
unobserved and unimpeded toward his horrific
objective of amassing a stockpile of weapons
of mass destruction..."
-Senator John Kerry, D-Mass 1997

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
A: Telling your parents you’re gay.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home