PDA

View Full Version : Gags and Gemm's big night out

Gemma_k
March 8th 06, 10:17 PM
Well, it was for Gags - his first track race!
I submit the following evidence pic taken 8/3/06 at the Adelaide Superdrome:
http://img8.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img8/10/IMG_0040.JPG

(Me in orange/blue, Gags in white/red/yellow/blue, yes OK the photo isn't
very good)

:-)

flyingdutch
March 8th 06, 10:34 PM
Gemma_k Wrote:
> Well, it was for Gags - his first track race!
> I submit the following evidence pic taken 8/3/06 at the Adelaide
> Superdrome:
> http://img8.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img8/10/IMG_0040.JPG
>
> (Me in orange/blue, Gags in white/red/yellow/blue, yes OK the photo
> isn't
> very good)
>
> :-)

:eek: secret training interstate!!!

Oh look. He's behind... :D

--
flyingdutch

Andrew Price
March 8th 06, 10:35 PM
Gemma_k wrote -

> (Me in orange/blue, Gags in white/red/yellow/blue, yes OK the photo isn't
> very good)

So who got the drop on who in the sprint to the line - or were you not
playing for keeps?

best, Andrew

Gemma_k
March 8th 06, 10:52 PM
"Andrew Price" > wrote in message

> Gemma_k wrote -
>
>> (Me in orange/blue, Gags in white/red/yellow/blue, yes OK the photo isn't
>> very good)
>
> So who got the drop on who in the sprint to the line - or were you not
> playing for keeps?

Um, Gags, on every occasion. Dammit.
:-)
Gemma

Tamyka Bell
March 9th 06, 02:56 AM
flyingdutch wrote:

> PS noice article in latest AusCyclist mag :D

Yeah, well done Gemma, I spotted your name instantly! Very noice indeed.

Hey, in my BQ newsletter that came with it, they had a road rule
refresher, and I discovered I'm not allowed to ride out of the saddle.
Weird.

PiledHigher
March 9th 06, 03:49 AM
PiledHigher wrote:
> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > flyingdutch wrote:
> > >
> > > PS noice article in latest AusCyclist mag :D
> >
> > Yeah, well done Gemma, I spotted your name instantly! Very noice indeed.
> >
> > Hey, in my BQ newsletter that came with it, they had a road rule
> > refresher, and I discovered I'm not allowed to ride out of the saddle.
> > Weird.
>
> I can't believe that, sure that there is not a misinterpretation. I
> thought the road rules had been nationalised at that's not in the
> victorian ones.

Here is the detail from the Victorian ones:

245. Riding a bicycle
The rider of a bicycle must-
(a) sit astride the rider's seat facing forwards (except if the
bicycle is not
built to be ridden astride); and
(b) ride with at least 1 hand on the handlebars; and
(c) if the bicycle is equipped with a seat-not ride the bicycle
seated in any
other position on the bicycle.
Penalty: 1 penalty unit.

I think its more to discourage this type of shennanigans!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46435249@N00/88368350/

SteveA
March 9th 06, 04:06 AM
PiledHigher Wrote:
> PiledHigher wrote:
> > Tamyka Bell wrote:

> > > Yeah, well done Gemma, I spotted your name instantly! Very noice
> indeed.
> > >
> > > Hey, in my BQ newsletter that came with it, they had a road rule
> > > refresher, and I discovered I'm not allowed to ride out of the
> saddle.
> > > Weird.
> >
> > I can't believe that, sure that there is not a misinterpretation. I
> > thought the road rules had been nationalised at that's not in the
> > victorian ones.
>
> Here is the detail from the Victorian ones:
>
> 245. Riding a bicycle
> The rider of a bicycle must-
> (a) sit astride the rider's seat facing forwards (except if the
> bicycle is not
> built to be ridden astride); and
> (b) ride with at least 1 hand on the handlebars; and
> (c) if the bicycle is equipped with a seat-not ride the bicycle
> seated in any
> other position on the bicycle.
> Penalty: 1 penalty unit.
>
> I think its more to discourage this type of shennanigans!
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/46435249@N00/88368350/
Clearly, if the bicycle is designed to be ridden side-saddle, you may
do so.

SteveA

--
SteveA

flyingdutch
March 9th 06, 04:14 AM
PiledHigher Wrote:

> Penalty: 1 penalty unit.

unit of blood?
of energy?
WTF?

--
flyingdutch

Theo Bekkers
March 9th 06, 05:44 AM
flyingdutch wrote:
> PiledHigher Wrote:
>>

>> Penalty: 1 penalty unit.
>>

> unit of blood?
> of energy?
> WTF?

Amount of money to be determined separately from this act, saving us from
having to update numerous acts every time we want to squeeze more money out
of the public.
I think in Vic $128, in WA $50.

Theo

SomeGuy
March 9th 06, 07:12 AM
PiledHigher Wrote:
> (c) if the bicycle is equipped with a seat-not ride the bicycle seated
> in any other position on the bicycle.

I think that would be the key. You can ride out of the saddle, you just
can't sit on anything else. Like... the top tube. Or something.

--
SomeGuy

Resound
March 9th 06, 09:09 AM
"PiledHigher" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> PiledHigher wrote:
>> Tamyka Bell wrote:

>> > Yeah, well done Gemma, I spotted your name instantly! Very noice
>> > indeed.
>> >
>> > Hey, in my BQ newsletter that came with it, they had a road rule
>> > refresher, and I discovered I'm not allowed to ride out of the saddle.
>> > Weird.
>>
>> I can't believe that, sure that there is not a misinterpretation. I
>> thought the road rules had been nationalised at that's not in the
>> victorian ones.
>
> Here is the detail from the Victorian ones:
>
> 245. Riding a bicycle
> The rider of a bicycle must-
> (a) sit astride the rider's seat facing forwards (except if the
> bicycle is not
> built to be ridden astride); and
> (b) ride with at least 1 hand on the handlebars; and
> (c) if the bicycle is equipped with a seat-not ride the bicycle
> seated in any
> other position on the bicycle.
> Penalty: 1 penalty unit.
>
> I think its more to discourage this type of shennanigans!
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/46435249@N00/88368350/

Ah, you mustn't ride SEATED in any other position. You may, therefore,
stand, slouch repose, recline, dance, lounge or lie in any position you
wish.

Gemma_k
March 9th 06, 09:31 AM
"flyingdutch" > wrote in
message ...

> PS noice article in latest AusCyclist mag :D

hmmm, I was hoping no one would notice :-) Thought I'd get away with not
having a pic of me up the front of the mag, but no....
"I'm sorry there are no photos of me without a helmet dark glasses on"
teehee

Gags
March 11th 06, 02:29 AM
"Gemma_k" > wrote in message
> Well, it was for Gags - his first track race!
> I submit the following evidence pic taken 8/3/06 at the Adelaide
Superdrome:
> http://img8.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img8/10/IMG_0040.JPG
>
> (Me in orange/blue, Gags in white/red/yellow/blue, yes OK the photo isn't
> very good)
>
> :-)

Thanks again for the loan of the bike Gemm......had a great night although I
think that I might have to chase up a set of rollers if I decide to keep
racing as going from sitting down on a chair between races to a stationary
start in the wheelrace final wasn't much fun (legs felt very heavy).

Was also very impressed that Gemm managed to pick up me and the bike when
she was acting as my holder for the start of the wheelrace. I was initially
given 215m wooooohooooo!!! but just before the race started they changed
their minds and put me back to 150m. This was for the heat and I didn't
count how many riders were in front of me so I actually went a bit harder
than I had to as I was actually leading for the last couple of laps but
thought I was mid-field!!

Had a couple of nervous moments on the night on the corners when the racing
got a bit close but managed to avoid falling off or knocking anyone else off
(just). I need to work on turning up the track a bit to slow down rather
than using my legs......I spent most of the night too far behind whoever was
in front of me to get much drafting benefit.

I also think I need to run a bigger gear next time than the 88 inches or
whatever it was that was on the bike. Guess I will have to get my frame
built up and start experimenting.

Also liked Gemms story about racing with the 10 y.o. girl who was out at the
track.......reminded me of GPL overtaking unwary commuters!!!!!!

Gags

Zebee Johnstone
March 13th 06, 02:56 AM
In aus.bicycle on Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:07:20 +1000
Tamyka Bell > wrote:

>> > 245. Riding a bicycle
>> > The rider of a bicycle must-
>> > (a) sit astride the rider's seat facing forwards (except if the
>> > bicycle is not
>> > built to be ridden astride); and
>> > (b) ride with at least 1 hand on the handlebars; and
>> > (c) if the bicycle is equipped with a seat-not ride the bicycle
>> > seated in any
>> > other position on the bicycle.
>> > Penalty: 1 penalty unit.
>> >

> But part (a) says I must sit astride the rider's seat facing forwards.
> Not sit or stand astride it. Just sit.

If there is a seat. Isn't that what quick release seatposts are for?

Zebee

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home